Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Subwoofer keeps blowing for unknown reason... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124636)

G.E. 01-17-2011 02:25 PM

Subwoofer keeps blowing for unknown reason...

I've had a subwoofer installed in my trunk. I blew a type r in 2 weeks and a P2 in 2 hours. My audio guy has checked everything. He's installed many systems over the years and the only thing he can guess is that my stock boston acoustics system is sending the wrong signals (highs and lows and all that) and it's confusing the woofer to where it doesn't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem?

Shredder 01-17-2011 03:36 PM

That's not possible to blow it "because it doesn't know what to do". The crossover sends only low frequencies to the sub and sub amp. You are probably over driving the amp, and that distortion is cooking your subs. What amp is driving this sub?

Shredder

Eric Baker 01-17-2011 06:21 PM

Yeah it's not the signal the amp is getting, something's not set right or the enclosure isn't built correctly.

I have 2 Type-R's and Ive beat the hell out of them overpowering them and all, and they still work flawlessly after ~7 years.

mrray13 01-17-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.E. (Post 2739118)
I've had a subwoofer installed in my trunk. I blew a type r in 2 weeks and a P2 in 2 hours. My audio guy has checked everything. He's installed many systems over the years and the only thing he can guess is that my stock boston acoustics system is sending the wrong signals (highs and lows and all that) and it's confusing the woofer to where it doesn't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem?

What amp? Are the subs and amp impedance matched? My guess, gain/boost are both too high, you are overdriving the sub and popping it.

Topdown 01-18-2011 12:19 AM

you are blowing subs... its been a long while since I blew up any subs, but exceptionally distorted signal, WAY too much power, no subsonic filter set, exceeding mechanical limits of the sub (too much power/vented enclosure), hmm... subs are shockingly forgiving when it comes to too much/too little power as well as dirty/clipped signal.

What are the chances that your amp its self has a fault and your throwing straight DC current into your VC's whenever the amp shorts?

shevyman 01-18-2011 12:25 AM

you know i am with many on this. but i think you have the wrong settings. your gain is to high and maybe the impedance is not matched.

only reason i say that is cause back in the day i blew out two fosgate 15' subs within an hour. my amp had plenty power i was new to the whole thing and i would always turn up the gain and not set my fregrency. so check that stuff out.

if those are down and set right then i would say you have a bad amp

G.E. 01-18-2011 07:15 PM

i have an Alpine M500 amp. i blew a 12" alpine type r in 2 weeks and then just recently i blew a rockford fosgate P2 in 2 hours.

shevyman 01-19-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G.E. (Post 2743713)
i have an Alpine M500 amp. i blew a 12" alpine type r in 2 weeks and then just recently i blew a rockford fosgate P2 in 2 hours.

well again that amp is fine for both those subs. what you need to check is what ohms you have the sub at and what ohms the amp is. if they are not matched that could cause damage.

now another thing like posted earlier is if you have your gain up to high or the frequency is not set right you could be distorting the subs and that is causing the subs coil to fry. so i would check all that. or if possible post up here the settings on the amp.

just checked the features on the amp, its 2-4 ohm stable so as long as you run the sub at 2-4 ohm you should be fine. only difference is 2 ohm is more power then 4. so post here your settings and what kind of box you have and i might be able to help you.

Eric Baker 01-19-2011 02:50 PM

Also if the subs are dual voice coil, if they are wired wrong, they could fry the coils as they would be working against each other.

G.E. 01-19-2011 03:54 PM

both are the 4 ohm version of the speaker and i had them paralleled wire to run at 2 ohms off the amp. i'm not sure what the amp was set at but i know it was rather low because from my understanding, the subs need a break in period before you really bump them.

the box is a custom built box.

also i'm not sure the coils are the problem, as in i dont think they are frying.
what's happening is (i guess the cone?) is coming unglued. but i could be wrong on all that.

NVMYSS 01-19-2011 04:03 PM

You can also blow the sub if you cause the amplifier to clip

Nexus6 01-19-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topdown (Post 2741194)
you are blowing subs... its been a long while since I blew up any subs, but exceptionally distorted signal, WAY too much power, no subsonic filter set, exceeding mechanical limits of the sub (too much power/vented enclosure), hmm... subs are shockingly forgiving when it comes to too much/too little power as well as dirty/clipped signal.

What are the chances that your amp its self has a fault and your throwing straight DC current into your VC's whenever the amp shorts?

This is what I would think as well.Try taking an O'scope measurement from the output,or a DC multimeter measurement.

Eric Baker 01-19-2011 07:27 PM

If they are separating/coming unglued, that's a first I've ever heard of that happening, and I've installed 100's of subs in my 10+ years in the business. Only time I've ever seen a surround separate was a really old sub where the glue dried out, or a defect in manufacturing, and all combined I've only seen a handfull.

shevyman 01-19-2011 10:04 PM

the amp will only run at a 2 or 4 ohm depending on how you wire the subs. if you ran them at a 2 ohm then the amp will run 2 ohms.

now i am confused as to what you are saying. the center cone is separating? we will need some pics. also is there any way you can describe what your sub is doing that you are saying it is blown