Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   V6 Occasional Tracking Setup (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323324)

stevey_frac 10-15-2013 08:31 PM

V6 Occasional Tracking Setup

Hey Guys,

Complete suspension upgrade noob, so go easy on me.

I'm looking at setting up my car to do occasional racking on a local track here.

I don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of road comfort, or NVH, so I'm guessing that implies a fairly mild setup.

What should I be looking at?

The 1LE track pack looks like a fairly decent setup and cost effective, but I'm not sure about ride quality and noise.

Thoughts?

I am going to end up getting the Michelin Pilot super sport tires in the spring, which should make a difference.

Thanks!

JusticePete 10-15-2013 10:17 PM

Is GM shipping sub-frame bushings with the 1LE package?

stevey_frac 10-15-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 7096576)
Is GM shipping sub-frame bushings with the 1LE package?

I don't think so.

Here is the description:

Designed as a replacement package for Camaro SS models, this suspension kit features the same suspension and drivetrain components used in the production 1LE performance package. Contents include a larger, 27mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control, as well as ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance.

JusticePete 10-15-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey_frac (Post 7096680)
I don't think so.

Here is the description:

Designed as a replacement package for Camaro SS models, this suspension kit features the same suspension and drivetrain components used in the production 1LE performance package. Contents include a larger, 27mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control, as well as ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance.

Are your rear wheels and tires larger than your fronts?

Avalnch 10-15-2013 11:10 PM

Having a dependable set of brakes is just as important as cutting fast corners.

stevey_frac 10-16-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 7096683)
Are your rear wheels and tires larger than your fronts?

Yes. I have the RS package with the 20 inch pirellis.

stevey_frac 10-16-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalnch (Post 7096690)
Having a dependable set of brakes is just as important as cutting fast corners.

About the only thing I can do for brakes is throw a set of racing pads on, and perhaps rig up some cooling vents. SS brakes are expensive and too large for my winter rims and tires.

GretchenGotGrowl 10-16-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey_frac (Post 7096841)
About the only thing I can do for brakes is throw a set of racing pads on, and perhaps rig up some cooling vents. SS brakes are expensive and too large for my winter rims and tires.

Braided steel lines will help some. What kind of racing? Road/AutoX/Drag?

stevey_frac 10-16-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 7097075)
Braided steel lines will help some. What kind of racing? Road/AutoX/Drag?

Road racing, sorry. That should have been in post 1.

lscamaro 10-16-2013 08:19 AM

The experts may disagree with me and if they do, take their advice but if you're going to be doing road racing which implies an actual race course not a parking lot full of cones, you're going to need brembos. The v6 brakes will fade before the end of the session and you'll be left with almost no brakes. If I were doing road course racing, brakes are the first thing I'd do and ensure are good enoughoto slow me down. I'd hate to come into a turn only to find out my brakes aren't stopping me anymore.

stevey_frac 10-16-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 7097196)
The experts may disagree with me and if they do, take their advice but if you're going to be doing road racing which implies an actual race course not a parking lot full of cones, you're going to need brembos. The v6 brakes will fade before the end of the session and you'll be left with almost no brakes. If I were doing road course racing, brakes are the first thing I'd do and ensure are good enoughoto slow me down. I'd hate to come into a turn only to find out my brakes aren't stopping me anymore.

I'm concerned about this as well, but as I mentioned earlier, the SS brakes are very pricey, and won't fit in my winter wheels.

Cooling ducts, race pads, and DOT 4 brake fluid will hopefully go a long way to reducing fade. I won't be racing at this point until the spring, so I have some time.

GretchenGotGrowl 10-16-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey_frac (Post 7097181)
Road racing, sorry. That should have been in post 1.

The 1LE package would be great for this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey_frac (Post 7097229)
I'm concerned about this as well, but as I mentioned earlier, the SS brakes are very pricey, and won't fit in my winter wheels.

Cooling ducts, race pads, and DOT 4 brake fluid will hopefully go a long way to reducing fade. I won't be racing at this point until the spring, so I have some time.

Like LSCamaro said, you will need brakes. Spend some time in the classified section and see if you can pick up some used ones from a member. You can swap back and forth for the winter. Even upgrading the brake lines, pads and fluid will probably not get you much from your single pistons. There are some after market brake kits for the V6 that will help a lot, but if you think he Brembos are expensive you probably won't like this option either.

lscamaro 10-16-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 7097246)
The 1LE package would be great for this.

Like LSCamaro said, you will need brakes. Spend some time in the classified section and see if you can pick up some used ones from a member. You can swap back and forth for the winter. Even upgrading the brake lines, pads and fluid will probably not get you much from your single pistons. There are some after market brake kits for the V6 that will help a lot, but if you think he Brembos are expensive you probably won't like this option either.

This is what I was going to suggest. Swap them out in the winter if you want but the brembos are completely worth it if road course racing is your goal. Members will sometimes sell them for good deals so all you have to do is keep a look out. If all else fails, you could also sell your winter setup and get a set of winter tires on stock RS wheels. I saw someone selling a setup like that in the classifieds. That way you can run brembos all the time

stevey_frac 10-16-2013 10:14 AM

Would I have to do the full set, or just the fronts? How much effort is it to swap to the brembo's if I'm going to be swapping back and forth twice a year.

The real problem here is fade right? On the first stop, the V6 brakes will haul down a Camaro in almost the same distance as the brembo's. Only a couple of feet difference from 60. It's the 7th, and 8th stops that are a problem. That's where I was hoping the cooling ducts would help a lot. A stead supply of air over the rotors would push a lot of heat out of the entire system.