Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Edelbrock SC vs Whipple? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133382)

Rocky918 03-07-2011 02:24 AM

Edelbrock SC vs Whipple?

So I am debating on which supercharger to get if I want one for sure (or if I can afford it). I have been looking at the edelbrock 2300 for its low end torque. Then I saw the dyno numbers to compare these and obviously the 2900 Whipple is more powerful and more low end torque than the E-Force

I saw some numbers posted by Get Torq for the Whipple http://www.gettorq.com/store/index.p...ercharger.html

And some for the Edelbrock
http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforum...read.php?t=612

Not sure which to go with if I do it. Who here has these superchargers and what are the numbers your getting with it and with what other modifications? How do you like it, any problems or complaints? To noisy? Are these suitable for a daily driver and occasional taking it to the track?

What does the average person get with a full catted exhaust/header system and these 2 superchargers?

sspaul 03-07-2011 03:58 AM

you can't go wrong with either supercharger. i do think the whipple is more efficient. talk to 94guy, gmrulez, ipaintbridges, eric at torq, and a few others that have the whipples. i think you have more room to grow with the whipple over the edlebrock.

gtc352 03-07-2011 07:09 AM

The whipple will allow more growth if you decide to do more engine mods in the future. I have the Edelbrock. I'm running a stock LS3 M6. I am upgrading the exhaust (long tubes and cat back). The edelbrock should be more than enough for me. If you were planning on stroking or other major engine work in the future, I personally would go with the Whipple.

Rocky918 03-07-2011 09:01 AM

Thats the thing, if I supercharge my car, then I will likely keep my Camaro forever as a classic, and it will be my toy car for life (for now it will be my daily driver since I cant afford a 2nd car)

Therefore, if I do further engine work, then it wont be for like 5-10 years when I am established in a career and home (as now I am still only a current phd student). So if I would do further work or not is unknown... Therefore I do not know :(

Is the whipple good for use as a daily driver as it puts more strain on the engine?

gtc352 03-07-2011 09:07 AM

Anyone more knowledgeable, please correct me. Going with the whipple won't put more strain on the engine if it is tuned correctly. Just don't run alot of boost and have someone put a good tune on it. Should be more than fine as a daily driver.

IPAINTBRIDGES31 03-07-2011 09:20 AM

Both superchargers will yield respectable numbers and if both are tuned properly you will notice little to no difference as a daily driver vehicle. With my Whipple it drives just like it did the day I took it off the lot, and I am sure the Eforce would be the same. My car made close to 630 rwp and 550 ft/lbs of torque. I have a cat back, CAI intake, kooks headers, and a small custom grind blower cam from T&T performance.

You should figure out where you would like to be power wise and budget wise and then go from there.

Rocky918 03-07-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPAINTBRIDGES31 (Post 2928458)

You should figure out where you would like to be power wise and budget wise and then go from there.

I was thinking if I do this, I wanna do it right and keep the car forever and never get rid of it. Therefore I was hoping to have around 550 RWHP and 525+ RWTQ ... Would kooks 1 7/8 catted long tubes, catback exhaust CAI and edelbrock accomplish this? I didnt think so thats why I was looking at the Whipple

Dangeruss 03-07-2011 09:40 AM

I'd definitely recommend the Whipple. I researched superchargers for a long time before deciding on this one for my daily driver.

IPAINTBRIDGES31 03-07-2011 09:41 AM

I'm sure you could get to those numbers with the Eforce, but you would probably have to increase your boost level. My peak boost with my setup is 9psi and its with stock pulley from Whipple. If you cranked the Eforce to 9 to 10 psi you would probably see similar numbers. Also, as far as your catted long tubes you may want to research that a little further. I am getting ready to get rid of my cats as they do not seem as though they are going to hold up to my FI setup.

GMRULZ 03-07-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky918 (Post 2928502)
I was thinking if I do this, I wanna do it right and keep the car forever and never get rid of it. Therefore I was hoping to have around 550 RWHP and 525+ RWTQ ... Would kooks 1 7/8 catted long tubes, catback exhaust CAI and edelbrock accomplish this? I didnt think so thats why I was looking at the Whipple

The Whipple w/ the stock pulley will exceend the 550rwhp on an mn6 car w/ those mods easily. The Automatic L99 will be slightly less, 536rwhp for mine w/ headers, CAI and a tune. Ran a high 10 at the track w/ a set of drag radials and those mods.

JM10 03-07-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky918 (Post 2928502)

Look at my sig....;)

JM

TeddyP25 03-07-2011 11:52 AM

Whatever you do, protect the fuel set up...doesnt hurt to start there and build up.

sscamaro 03-07-2011 12:13 PM

I picked the Edelbrock E-Force for it's looks and low end torq. 546/rwhp and 522/rwtq with 6 lbs of boost. This was good enough for me for driving on the street. See sig for mods.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL76.../394463652.jpg

mcdoogle6969 03-07-2011 01:44 PM

Id go with the whipple...allows you to grow a lot more down the road if you choose to, and it's not ugly. I think the E-Force is very ugly, but that's just me.