Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   LED Side markers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146788)

Hired Gun 05-12-2011 12:53 PM

LED Side markers

Ok I have decided to order a set of led side markers for my black 2ss. I have priced them already from AAC. I was thinking black and tinted. I was not sure on the tinting however. I was afraid they would not show up bright at night.

Also, how reliable are these? I would hate to order them and they fill with water, or burn out in a few months. I had this happen with a company called RECON. I was ready to go after the owner due to a piss poor product that faded to yellow, and burned out in about a year.

So please if you have led side markers, let me know all you can, the good the bad, and the ugly. Vendors please sway me to your side so I can get them ordered.

I am sick of looking like the guy down the road, I want the cool stuff in lighting.

fugimo 05-12-2011 01:16 PM

I currently have the AAC side markers and they are tinted, the tint is not dark like you are thinking, they are more of a shade of tint so that you do not see the LEDs when the lights are off. I have also tied the side markers into my turn signals, so they actually work as blinkers when making a turn. They are plenty bright enough, even with the tint and reduced lighting so they can blink when they are suppose to.

I have had them on the car for about 9 or so months and have not had any problems with them, except when I miswired one up wrong and only three of the middle LEDs did not light up, but once I corrected the wiring, had no problems at all. Have not had any water get into them as they are sealed like the factory ones and the hole I drilled into the back of them, I used silicon to block that hole.

All in all, I am very happy with them and get compliments on them all the time. You really can't go wrong with these.

Camaro21 05-12-2011 01:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of my Black Camaro with the AAC Painted & Tinted Sidemarkers.

jmart53 05-12-2011 01:28 PM

do the OEM ones just "pop" off and these(AAC) snap into place with plug and play wiring?

Hired Gun 05-12-2011 01:46 PM

Thanks for the fast feedback. When you wired them into your turn signals did you supply the wiring, or was it an extra harness?

I may order these in the morning. Does it take long to get them? I got a pm from AAC today so I was happy for the fast pm.

bthomp01 05-12-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AACstyle (Post 3211140)
Correct, you just pop out the stock ones and pop these in... thats all there is to it! :thumbsup:

Instructions are included.

I've been looking at these for a while but I have a question about the rear ones. I've been hit twice, once in each rear wheel which means the rear bumper has had to come off a few times. On the driver side the rear bumper piece isn't totally flush with the rear quarter panel anymore, right where the side marker is, the bumper buldges out a little bit. Looking at that image it doesn't look like there's any clips on the markers themselves, or are they just hidden by the foam? If I could buy these and knock that problem out that'd be awesome, but if it's the bumper clips that are busted I'm going to have to find some other way to fix it..

EDIT: I'll see if I can get a picture of this when I get home today, horrible weather though so it might be tough.

CDN SS 05-12-2011 08:36 PM

I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost. I'm suppose to open up the others using a razor blade, let them dry out and then reseal them using a silicone caulk.

If there was a problem with one I could understand but 3 out of 4 should not happen with a product that has been around for awhile. So now I have to go back under the car to remove the new ones and replace them with the stock ones then do it once again once I get my replacement back from AAC. Since it's my responsibility that the part gets to AAC I'm going to have to ship it insured with a tracking number. The cost to ship from Canada to LA will probably be around $30.

Almost every mod I've bought for this car has had a problem, this one is no exception.

Angelsilhouette 05-12-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDN SS (Post 3212573)
I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost.

Ooog! This makes me think twice about them. I'm glad I read this.

Tom D 05-12-2011 09:09 PM

Same here. Sure would like to hear what AAC has to say about that. Glad I didn't order yet.

yotaman96 05-12-2011 10:12 PM

Can't give you a review yet. Ordered on 4/22. Still waiting.

Gotthat02fire 05-12-2011 10:35 PM

I think there is a miss understanding here I've had no issue with any promblems that occured with my AAC stuff so I find it hard to belive they are not going to take care of you!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDN SS (Post 3212573)
I installed a set of painted AAC side markers 3-4 weeks ago and loved the look of them. After 2 car washes I noticed 3 of the 4 have condensation inside of them and one has 2 blowen LEDs. I contacted Jonathan via PM and he told me to remove them from the car, ship the blowen one back to him for replacement at my cost. I'm suppose to open up the others using a razor blade, let them dry out and then reseal them using a silicone caulk.

If there was a problem with one I could understand but 3 out of 4 should not happen with a product that has been around for awhile. So now I have to go back under the car to remove the new ones and replace them with the stock ones then do it once again once I get my replacement back from AAC. Since it's my responsibility that the part gets to AAC I'm going to have to ship it insured with a tracking number. The cost to ship from Canada to LA will probably be around $30.

Almost every mod I've bought for this car has had a problem, this one is no exception.