Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Carburetor for manual transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600759)

George-CZ 12-25-2021 04:03 PM

Carburetor for manual transmission

Slowly approaching the purchase of a 5 speed TKO 600 kit for my 2 gen. Now it have TH 350.
Now I drive a square bore Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary with an enlarged accelerator pump and a larger injector.
The car drives absolutely divinely!

But I read that for manual transmissions it is better to switch to a carb with a mechanical secondary.

I was thinking of buying a Holly 650 cfm double pumper.
I tried to find even more information about it, but so far not much. So I try it here as well.

Does anyone have experience?

bsn 12-26-2021 01:57 PM

For street use you will be fine with the vacuum secondary's they are more forgiving. A mechanical secondary that's perfectly adjusted would be a little more responsive but for street use its hard to go wrong with vacuum secondary's.

George-CZ 12-27-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn (Post 11112848)
For street use you will be fine with the vacuum secondary's they are more forgiving. A mechanical secondary that's perfectly adjusted would be a little more responsive but for street use its hard to go wrong with vacuum secondary's.

Thanks for the reply.

So basically I wouldn't improve on anything. Just a more sensitive accelerator pedal response?

Zspoiler 12-31-2021 10:10 PM

On my 1979 Z-28 Camaro I changed from a Turbo 350 to a Super T-10 4 speed transmission .And other than not using any linkage for the Turbo 350 .since its gone .I just ran it as is. It wouldnt make any sense to Chevrolet to do the same.

George-CZ 01-02-2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zspoiler (Post 11114973)
On my 1979 Z-28 Camaro I changed from a Turbo 350 to a Super T-10 4 speed transmission .And other than not using any linkage for the Turbo 350 .since its gone .I just ran it as is. It wouldnt make any sense to Chevrolet to do the same.

Thank you for reply...

I understand...
Of course, I don't expect the car to stop suddenly after converting to a manual, beacuse carburetor.

But I'm a perfectionist and I like it when everything is finished and perfected.
So if change to a double pumper would be a benefit, I would go for it.

I searched the internet and read that the double pumper mechanical secondary is suitable for light cars with a manual transmission. But what is a light car? Where is the limit of a light / heavy car? :noidea:

0stones0 01-02-2022 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George-CZ (Post 11115333)
Thank you for reply...

I understand...
Of course, I don't expect the car to stop suddenly after converting to a manual, beacuse carburetor.

But I'm a perfectionist and I like it when everything is finished and perfected.
So if change to a double pumper would be a benefit, I would go for it.

I searched the internet and read that the double pumper mechanical secondary is suitable for light cars with a manual transmission. But what is a light car? Where is the limit of a light / heavy car? :noidea:

Just something I googled George.
“According to Holley's website, they say "use of a mechanical secondary carburetor should be used on a vehicle less than 3100 lbs full weight.”

George-CZ 01-02-2022 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0stones0 (Post 11115335)
Just something I googled George.
“According to Holley's website, they say "use of a mechanical secondary carburetor should be used on a vehicle less than 3100 lbs full weight.”

Thanks, thanks a lot!!!
That's exactly what I needed to know :thumbsup:

...less than 3100 lbs full weight
Camaro have full weight more than 3607 lbs

So there, the double pumper would not work properly.

I owe you beer :happy0180:

0stones0 01-02-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George-CZ (Post 11115338)
Thanks, thanks a lot!!!
That's exactly what I needed to know :thumbsup:

...less than 3100 lbs full weight
Camaro have full weight more than 3607 lbs

So there, the double pumper would not work properly.

I owe you beer :happy0180:

You are welcome sir! No beer necessary. :thumbup:

Zspoiler 02-20-2022 09:11 PM

On the street a vacuum secondary works better than a double .Especially with today gas prices you get better fuel mileage as well.

George-CZ 02-25-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zspoiler (Post 11136567)
On the street a vacuum secondary works better than a double .Especially with today gas prices you get better fuel mileage as well.

If it was a noticeable benefit, I would not mind higher consumption.
I drove only 450 miles with him last year.