Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MODS PLEASE DELETE (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332289)

AG1LE 12-11-2013 08:10 PM

MODS PLEASE DELETE

To effectively track my SS while wearing a helmet I need more headspace.

Has anyone compared headspace while sitting in the lowest position in Recaros versus the normal SS leather seat?

Do the "stock" SS Recaros sit any lower (at the lowest setting for both)?

Thanks!

2012-1822 12-11-2013 08:52 PM

That is a great question.

I could use a little extra room in my ZL1 because of the sunroof if I need a helmet.

ICTsccaCamaro 12-11-2013 08:55 PM

I have this issue in ours with a helmet and me at 6'3" ish I really have to slouch down to not bang the headliner even at full down, the passanger seat sits lower than the drivers tho need to swap seat brackets or something, we are also a non sunroof car so we should have a little more room than some even

The Stig 12-11-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMWNERW (Post 7255115)
To effectively track my SS while wearing a helmet I need more headspace.

Has anyone compared headspace while sitting in the lowest position in Recaros versus the normal SS leather seat?

Do the "stock" SS Recaros sit any lower (at the lowest setting for both)?

Thanks!

Don't sit any lower, or not that I noticed anyway.

Also remember that the sunroof kills about an inch and a half of head room.

AG1LE 12-11-2013 09:07 PM

I have the sunroof...love it...but it severely limits headspace. A guy at work who races his porsche let me try on his Bell helmet and sit in my car...as suspected, I have serious clearance issues.

Hopefully someone can chime in on the difference. I need to stop by the dealership soon...maybe I'll look around and see if I can find a recaro/sunroof combination that I can sit in.

AG1LE 12-11-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 7255250)
Don't sit any lower, or not that I noticed anyway.

Also remember that the sunroof kills about an inch and a half of head room.

Thanks for the feedback

hmmm...looks like I need to plan on aftermarket recaros, or other brand race seat...probably one with a removable cushion.

Stock Boy 12-11-2013 11:24 PM

If you are going to be tracking it, I would seriously recommend getting some race seats that you can put in before the event. The Recaros in these are nice but nowhere close to what they need to be, support wise. The side bolsters are leather which don't grip too well, I wish it was all seude. The Recaros that came in my Evo X were fantastic. Miss those.

MikeSVX 12-12-2013 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's more head room for you.

:rolleyes:

GMTool 12-12-2013 11:19 AM

I often wonder if the headliner could be modified in the area directly above a drivers head to gain more clearance.

The Stig 12-12-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMTool (Post 7256319)
I often wonder if the headliner could be modified in the area directly above a drivers head to gain more clearance.

You could remove it, cut out the insulation, and then reinstall it.

Novie LE 12-12-2013 12:41 PM

Does anybody make brackets that lower the seat? I am 6'5 and with the helmet on I have to seriously push my head forward and hunch...I probabaly look like a turtle standing on its back legs.

Pace 12-12-2013 12:52 PM

If you are talking about a quarter mile - its only 12 seconds. While racing another car I have hit my helmet a few times but its not a big deal. Usually a slight adjustment in the seat (from the normal driving position) and done. Almost like going from wearing a t-shirt to a winter jacket...some slight adjustment and fine.

woodside783 12-12-2013 12:58 PM

if buy the seats on line you have to get a bracket to make them fit and it might be lower idk. something you might want to look in to