Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Onstar Fail? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149237)

guitarfrk67 05-25-2011 05:01 PM

Onstar Fail?

I know it's not specifically a Camaro issue but I'm just curious if anybody else was experiencing the same problem with their Onstar button intermittently going from green to red and back. I've talked to Onstar and they asked me to take it into the dealership to have it checked (this first happened after about 6 months of owning my Camaro). They checked it, said it was the antenna being loose, supposedly fixed it but after a few months, it's back again. Anybody else having this issue? :iono:

apeko 05-25-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarfrk67 (Post 3263677)
I know it's not specifically a Camaro issue but I'm just curious if anybody else was experiencing the same problem with their Onstar button intermittently going from green to red and back. I've talked to Onstar and they asked me to take it into the dealership to have it checked (this first happened after about 6 months of owning my Camaro). They checked it, said it was the antenna being loose, supposedly fixed it but after a few months, it's back again. Anybody else having this issue? :iono:

onstar sucks..... they can keep their crappy service for $19/mo. I might pay $19 for a years service. I know of 2 people that were in major accedents and onstar never was activated to call for help. so what good is it anyways.:thumbdown:

Macky 05-25-2011 09:11 PM

My light went out two days after purchase. It was the computer module associate with OnStar and Convenience and Connectivity stuff. Dealer replaced it and has worked fine ever since.

guitarfrk67 05-25-2011 11:45 PM

They did mention something about a computer module but I think they did a quick fix instead of fixing it for good. Thanks Macky! I'll call the dealership ahead of time and tell them to order the part. They took over 6 hours the last time so they should know exactly what part to replace. I just think that the service dept. was too lazy to order the part.

Rogue Leader 05-26-2011 10:26 AM

I've had this, the red light could mean any number of issues with the Onstar unit. They can do an OTA diagnostic, mine came back as an antenna issue which it turned out that the original Onstar operator forgot a key piece of info. It was the Bluetooth antenna. So my dealer went on a wild goose chase checking the OnStar Antenna connections etc and it was fine. Then when the light came back twice a different operator pointed out that missing fact (plus I was starting to have problems with my Bluetooth as well), and the dealer replaced the antenna (took about 3 minutes) and no problems since.

One thing my dealer told me is that if you do do an OTA diagnostic with Onstar get all the info you can and report it to them when you bring it in for service, because they don't get any diagnostic data from OnStar, even though OnStar says they communicate it to them.

guitarfrk67 05-26-2011 11:20 AM

Thanks Rogue Leader! Great advice! You're right. OnStar tells me that they'd send the info to my dealer then when I do get there and tell them that they should have the info from Onstar, they give me this puzzled look. I'll know better when I take it in next week.

TOMS1SS 05-26-2011 12:01 PM

I haven't but my mom has in her Equinox. Turns out the red light was a dead battery and it has happened three times so far.

guitarfrk67 05-26-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks TOMS1SS! I'll ask OnStar about that when I go to lunch today. They're supposed to see the status of the whole car anyway. I appreciate it!

chevyluv7 05-26-2011 12:12 PM

Ya, I' have the same issue, supposedly it was the wire between antenna and mirror, but the light keeps coming back red for a few minutes here and there. never long enough to take it back.

guitarfrk67 05-26-2011 12:57 PM

Ya know, you think they'd catch that in quality control before they ship 'em out. I do remember the dealership saying something about a loose wire in the antenna. I'll mention it to them again. Thanks chevyluv7!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-26-2011 02:11 PM

Glad to see you're getting so many good responses here guitarfrk67. Hope to hear they were able to get you all fixed up and back on the road soon!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

guitarfrk67 05-26-2011 05:12 PM

Thanks Jeff! Can't wait to get this fixed!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-27-2011 02:51 PM

Keep us up on how it goes for you!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service