Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   GM Extended Warranty (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281854)

motorhead2011 03-09-2013 08:45 AM

GM Extended Warranty

So i went to my dealer yesterday to purchase a gm extended warranty for my vert.I was surprized and disappointed to see it did not cover the convertable top.Guess that says somthing about their confidence in their product!

Michael Rophone 03-09-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead2011 (Post 6265089)
So i went to my dealer yesterday to purchase a gm extended warranty for my vert.I was surprized and disappointed to see it did not cover the convertable top.Guess that says somthing about their confidence in their product!

:gossip: I hear the convertible is going bye-bye...when production moves to Michigan :gossip:

Gio Bella 03-09-2013 10:41 AM

Hi Michael,
I don't think the next Gen Camaro won't have convertible's discontinued but will probably re engineered with a top more on the outside like the new Corvette.
Maybe the first year of the new model it won't be available but the very next year they should add the vert just like they did with the2011.
Gio.

95birdible 03-09-2013 01:22 PM

I don't think they will. Per Scott's production numbers sales dropped from 2011 to 2012 by almost 5,000 units. Now remember, the 2011's were produced from late January 2011 through July 2011. 2012 had a full model year. Plus with all the problems, they lost their shorts on the first two years of production. Willing to bet there won't be a new one for the 6th gen.

Top Off 03-09-2013 01:50 PM

I was told when I purchased my extended GM warranty that it did include the top.

OrangeVert 03-09-2013 07:53 PM

Don't think so ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Off (Post 6265904)
I was told when I purchased my extended GM warranty that it did include the top.

You may have been told wrong, my available factory extended warranty does not cover the top or its mechanism.

OrangeVert 03-09-2013 07:57 PM

Don't think so ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Off (Post 6265904)

Sorry to say, you may have been told wrong - the factory extended warranty I was offered does not cover the top or its mechanism. That's the main reason I didn't buy it. That and I drive 2k miles per year.

Top Off 03-09-2013 08:41 PM

I will find out one way or another next week. The top was the main reason I got the warranty.

Michael Rophone 03-09-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gio Bella (Post 6265355)
I don't think the next Gen Camaro won't have convertible's discontinued but will probably re engineered with a top more on the outside like the new Corvette.

The Corvette top has always been on the outside; shedding water, not collecting it in a bag. :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath for a 6th Generation. There are so many variables, including moving production to Michigan, GM meeting the CAFE Standards ahead, Camaro sales going forward, and the overall health of the economy.

If anyone wants a new Camaro, I would not wait for the mythical 6th. ;)

Michael Rophone 03-09-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Off (Post 6267128)
I will find out one way or another next week. The top was the main reason I got the warranty.

When you find out, let us know. Be sure to read the fine print.

The fine print in the Extended Warranty I was offered explicitly EXCLUDED the convertible top fabric and mechanism.

Plus, my insurance covered only a broken rear window, but excluded vandalism to the cloth. And...the premium was higher for theft because the car was a convertible (allegedly easier to break into).

$$ :moon: $$

motorhead2011 03-10-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Off (Post 6267128)

It was written right on the papers i looked at under items not covered.I also looked at another ins. co. they offered and it did not cover the vert. top also.I contacted GM about it and got an email from them with a phone # to talk to them about it.I'm gonna call them tomorro,sure it won't do much good though.

babytiger 03-10-2013 10:07 AM

Per the phone call I made on this very thing, the 'mechanism' is covered, but NOT the fabric, headliner etc.

bulllett 03-10-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead2011 (Post 6268360)
It was written right on the papers i looked at under items not covered.I also looked at another ins. co. they offered and it did not cover the vert. top also.I contacted GM about it and got an email from them with a phone # to talk to them about it.I'm gonna call them tomorro,sure it won't do much good though.

Keep in mind that they can promise you that the moon would be covered, but when it comes down to it, in a court of law, they will fall back to what's been written (haha, that was just meant as a saying; "in a court of law", with these it could be a reality :) )

urr2slo 03-11-2013 10:27 AM

Convertible tops are never covered, they are considered trim, no extended warranty covers trim. It covers the pump, motor and some mechanisms. The GM extended warranty is one of the best on the market, but no factory or aftermarket will cover a fabric top as they are also considered to be a wear item over time.