Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stainless works headers (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209878)

gorgeous-ss 03-15-2012 06:28 PM

Stainless works headers

Ok so I just picked up my stainless works headers and in the package it comes with high temp rtv for sealing between headers and head face.
Would it be better to use this or the new manifold gaskets that I bought?
Also I'm going to be running catless midpipes but it comes with the port for the 2nd o2 sensors. Should I install the o2 sensors or should I plug the hole?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

blazzin1 03-15-2012 06:46 PM

I never heard of using RTV on headers!!! I wouldn't use it. Instead use only factory GM manifold gaskets. Some folks re-use the original without any problems. The seal better than any aftermarket gasket.

Apex Motorsports 03-15-2012 07:06 PM

I recommend swinging buy your local Chevy dealer and picking up new gaskets.

gorgeous-ss 03-15-2012 07:08 PM

yea i already have gaskets just wanted to ask lol umm how about the o2 sensors?

gorgeous-ss 03-15-2012 09:41 PM

Bump for 02 sensor question

axis 03-15-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeous-ss (Post 4651900)
yea i already have gaskets just wanted to ask lol umm how about the o2 sensors?

What about them? They should be reinstalled using antisieze.

ss/rs-matt 03-15-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeous-ss (Post 4652802)
Bump for 02 sensor question

If you get a tune they will be deleted anyway, but if you plan on not getting tuned for a while throw them in. You'll hopefully delay the enviable CEL.

caverman 03-15-2012 10:40 PM

The rear O2 sensors will get turned off by a tune but you should still install them. Especially since you have the whole already there. Basically it's a place holder. Somewhere to put them instead of just hanging there. By installing them you'll also be plugging up the whole in the cats.

I would recommend un-plugging them from the stock plug, install them, and then plug them back in. If you don't the wires will get all twisted up from screwing them in. Then zip tie the execess wire out of the way.,

gorgeous-ss 03-16-2012 07:01 AM

Ok one last question lol sorry

When you get headers ceramic coated do you have them do the midpipes?

gorgeous-ss 03-16-2012 07:50 AM

Ttt

MikeOD 03-16-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeous-ss (Post 4653990)

It's up to you really...I've seen show cars with the entire exhaust coated, and my car has nothing coated...and anywhere in between. I wouldn't say there's really a right or wrong answer there. I wouldn't expect the coating to last under the car on a daily driver though.

The only thing I suggest to people with header gaskets, is to make sure the header flange is very flat and clean before you install them. Usually they're great, but if you know any machinists, ask them if they have a stone you can borrow for 5 minutes...a very flat stone that a machinist would use to clean a table in a mill, or the bottom of a vice, when rubbed in circular patterns on the flange of the header will make sure it's flat and free of burrs before you install it. I've always done that and run GM gaskets, and I've never had a leak.

The SwiftChancelor 03-16-2012 10:20 AM

I have the Stainless Works Power LT headers with the catless mid-pipes so the set-up
for what I've read is nearly identical. I re-used my factory GM gaskets and didn't touch the sealant. I did use the bolts they provided. I also installed the second o2 sensors into the catless pipes, why not? It doesn't hurt anything and makes it look legit, I'd rather have it plugged in than just some loose wire I'd have to tie up. Oh, and I didn't coat.

gorgeous-ss 03-16-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your help

caverman 03-16-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeous-ss (Post 4653990)

With LTs there really isn't a mid-pipe. It's the header, then the cat (or off-road pipe), and then the cat-back.

Just coat the headers. Don't bother with the cats. Actually, I'm not even sure you could coat the cats without messing them up. Either way, unless you're going for and all out show car where you never drive it and want to show off the underneath of your car, just coat the headers.