Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304262)

Normagene 06-26-2013 07:29 PM

THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE

From when she first slithered off the dealers lot and into the depths of her new dungeon. From her initial mod to present day and on order mods with always more to come! Will it ever end???

HDRDTD 06-26-2013 07:30 PM

No

Normagene 06-26-2013 07:55 PM

41 Attachment(s)
Attachment 527888
The Trade-in, 2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat SS with Ground Effects Package
Attachment 527889
The Devil's Nightmare Begins
Attachment 527890
Order In, Five weeks, and three days, she on and off the dealers lot!
Attachment 527891
Let the Mods Begin!
Attachment 527892
Attachment 527893
Going to the Dark Side
Attachment 527894
Attachment 527895
Attachment 527896
Attachment 527897
Attachment 527898
Attachment 527901
Sporting a New Bra!
Attachment 527902
Supporting the Troops
Attachment 527903
Bad to the Bone
Attachment 527905
Attachment 527906
Air Tight
Attachment 527907
Freebie
Attachment 527909
Ghosted
Attachment 527910
Attachment 527912
Winter Blues
Attachment 527913
Attachment 527914
Damn Chrome
Attachment 527915
Attachment 527916
Well Dressed Man!
Attachment 527917
Attachment 527918
Attachment 527919
Attachment 527920
Attachment 527921
Attachment 527923
Attachment 527924
Attachment 527925
Attachment 527926
Attachment 527927
Attachment 527929
Attachment 527931
Attachment 527932
Attachment 527934
Attachment 527935
Still waiting on my RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can, Noweeds, Fog Light Bulbs and DRL Harness. Also Color Halo Pkg and Grille LEDs. Under hood paint and soon to black out chrome exhaust pipe tips.

OldScoolCamaro 06-26-2013 09:07 PM

...when my warranty is up....then the gloves come off..until then..I sit tight. I have to be cautious. It would be nice to have the cabbage to toss around, but.... Enjoy your ride! I must bide my time until then. I do enjoy watching those who take it to another level. Awesome!

Normagene 06-27-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6720903)
...when my warranty is up....then the gloves come off..until then..I sit tight. I have to be cautious. It would be nice to have the cabbage to toss around, but.... Enjoy your ride! I must bide my time until then. I do enjoy watching those who take it to another level. Awesome!

I hear ya. Haven't really put any big money into it yet, just small cosmetic things so far. The Clear-Bra was probably the biggest expense so far, and that was a must have, road rash is brutal. Also tinted the windows at the same time. Then the Roto Fab was next money wise. Now I'm waiting on my Noweeds Exhaust Diverter, and to be honest the thought of getting under her and cutting a section of pipe out and drilling a hole threw the body, oh yeah, I'm nervous. Definitely kinda freaks me out, but I'm certain it will be way worth the anxiety.

Love this Camaro5 Forum. You learn so much, and I'm amazed how brilliant some of the folks are, nerves of steel, from all out on the quarter mile dragstrip to balls to the wall on a road course. This is definitely what the ZL1 is all about! Then all the cosmetic mods people are doing from simple Plasti-dip blackouts to the outrageous light shows like Nite Owl!

It will never end, somebody always comes up with a new idea/innovation that just drops my jaw in amazement!

SamHouseIII 06-27-2013 08:11 AM

looking good!

Dznts 06-27-2013 08:17 AM

nice

Matt@510 06-27-2013 09:30 AM

looks good, very tasteful. im not a fan of chrome either

jbotta 06-27-2013 11:44 AM

Looking good, Normagene.... Some really cool pics, Keep it up, That's what I call making it your own.

Sugar's ZL1 06-27-2013 01:51 PM

Love what you are doing, got mine back from the wrapper last evening. Full body wrap of XPEL Utimate.

cybercoaster 06-27-2013 02:05 PM

Looking pretty close to mine :-)

littlecammi 06-27-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normagene (Post 6720393)
The Devil's Nightmare: will it ever end?

Will there be an end to you modding your ZL1?
Apparently not unless someone holds an intervention.

Deke736 06-27-2013 03:31 PM

It doesn't ever end! You know better than to ask that question! :laugh:

thespymaster 06-27-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlecammi (Post 6724058)
Will there be an end to you modding your ZL1?
Apparently not unless someone holds an intervention.

It never ends................... :smiling1: :smiling1:

trust me :smoking:

Sugar's ZL1 06-27-2013 05:25 PM

Makes me scared to start more, by the way I love your photos as well.
http://weathersticker.wunderground.c.../Grapevine.gif

charlietuna 06-27-2013 11:10 PM

Lookin good love the tail lamps

Normagene 06-28-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar's ZL1 (Post 6723895)
Love what you are doing, got mine back from the wrapper last evening. Full body wrap of XPEL Utimate.

Gotta see! Post a pic for me, full body wrap, that's not cheap, but Wow that's the Best paint protection possible!

Normagene 07-06-2013 02:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Did the Strut Bar in Dark Gray, the Bolts and Fuse Box cover in Red. Returning the Reverse Light Bezels. Black aluminum look really nice, but were too shiny so I Plasti-dipped them matte black. But the fit was horrible. And they just won't stick, yes I properly prepped, but one corner would come off then the other side or the top then bottom. Opened the garage and the one on the passengers side was hanging off.
Attachment 531284
Attachment 531285
Attachment 531286
Attachment 531287
Attachment 531288

jbotta 07-06-2013 03:12 PM

Looking good,

Normagene 07-08-2013 04:32 PM

Received my RX Dual Check Valve Catch Can today! Hope to get it installed tomorrow. Still trying to work out a couple issues with the hose going to the Roto Fab CAI "T". Fitting is a different size, catch can is 3/8th and the CAI is 1/4. Anyway I'm getting closer.

Normagene 07-12-2013 04:14 PM

Catch can install is Done! Received with the wrong bracket and not enough hose, but once I had all the parts on hand the install took about 15 minutes. Had to order from JEGs a hose Connector Reducer because the Roto Fab CAI "T" is 1/2 inch and the RX Catch Can is 3/8th. So I needed a foot of 1/2 inch hose to go from the CAI "T" to the Reducer and already had used all the supplied hose on the first two connections. So I bought an extra two feet of 3/8th which ended up being perfect. Here's a diagram of the connections I did and then some pictures of the install. I installed it on the threaded hole in the crossmember brace at the bottom of the radiator instead of to the radiator shroud. It just looks cleaner to me and doesn't stand out, sort of hidden. Used the upper most bracket position so I still have plenty of room to open/close the drain. Still need two Black Zip Ties, had to temporarily use white.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/8yzemy2y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/13/a9e8yraj.jpg

G-Oil Guy 07-13-2013 11:46 AM

Two questions:

Whose rock guards are those?

Where did you buy the valve stem caps?

Normagene 07-13-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy (Post 6778041)
Two questions:

Whose rock guards are those?

Where did you buy the valve stem caps?

The Rock Guards I got from One-Bad-ZL1, I think it was like $40 and the stem caps I got from chevymall they were on sale , but I don't remember the price. The Rock Guards/Jay came up with clips that work really good, that plus the doublesided tape. I definitely recommend them, nice quality and great price.

Normagene 07-13-2013 12:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
RX Catch Can pics:
Attachment 533081
The can is pretty much hidden
Attachment 533082
Attachment 533083

Normagene 07-16-2013 08:02 AM

Yesterday my husband attempted to install the JDP Colored Halo Light Kit. Well that quickly turned into a Nightmare. Not being a "car guy" and not ever having really worked on cars before, that coupled with not having the proper equipment and tools, needless to say that when I went out to see how it was going I almost fainted. He had the front wheels up on all kinds of pieces of wood, then crawled under to remove the belly pan with the underbody pressing him down, no extra room whatsoever.

But when I saw him try to jack up the side and the jack Popped Out, down came the car right onto the body side molding which crushed, and luckily didn't have any permanent damage, I then said STOP. That's it your done, we don't have the proper place (outside in the driveway) or tools and equipment to do this job. Then I looked at the two jack stands he had that were definitely not meant to hold this kind of weight.

So the lights, which I would absolutely love to have installed, are on hold. Looked into getting a shop install, but the cheapest was just under $100 per hour, so that would make the lights way way too expensive. Couldn't find any shop that has experience in this install so shop time would easily be in the three to four hour range. Couldn't even find a shop that has removed the front fascia on a ZL1.

I did take a picture of my husbands idea of how to raise the car, but first I immediately went in and paid this months Life Insurance Bill. Not being a car guy he had absolutely no trouble installing the sequential taillights, side markers, Roto Fab Cold Air Intake, and even the Catch Can. But this install was too much for his/our novice skill level.

And wouldn't you know it, the Noweeds came in yesterday as well. He said that's going to be an easy install, just needs some good quality jack stands. I'm nervous about this one a lot because he will be underneath the car for almost the entire install. I've seen it come down once already. I'm worried, I may pay for the shop time on this one. A shop could get it cut and mounted in an hour or so and then we could run the wiring and finish the install.

Sure wish I knew some real "car guys" that could lend a hand. Anybody in the Plymouth Mass area! I almost feel like yelling HELP!

See if I can post a pic, my tapatalk isn't working so not sure I can post yesterday's "Death Defying" pic. Unable to post the picture, sorry.

Normagene 07-16-2013 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, my Tapatalk is up and running again, so here's the photo I'll call "Death Defying" cause this was way crazy dangerous and unsafe. Not having the proper place/tools/equipment well the results could be disaster of grave consequences.
Attachment 533645

Deke736 07-16-2013 09:08 AM

Normagene, I am sorry you had to experience this traumatic event! I don't blame your near heart attack with the car sitting on random wood blocks! If I were closer, I would be glad to help you install these. For the record, you don't have to have the car off the ground to remove the front fascia. The first time I did mine, it sat on the floor in the garage. I just found taking the front wheels makes it easier. The good thing is that all of the screws that need to be removed to remove the fascia are all along the front edge of the car and the entire belly pan does not need to come off.

Did you at least get the DRL harness installed? That only takes a few minutes by turning your wheels to the left, removing 3 screws and plugging in the harness.

Also, I would not recommend installing the Noweeds system with the car on jacks. If I were you I would find a friend with a car lift, or find a local shop to help you install it. Again, if you were local I would be happy to help (so I could practice on your car instead of mine). Ha!

Normagene 07-16-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke736 (Post 6783664)
Normagene, I am sorry you had to experience this traumatic event! I don't blame your near heart attack with the car sitting on random wood blocks! If I were closer, I would be glad to help you install these. For the record, you don't have to have the car off the ground to remove the front fascia. The first time I did mine, it sat on the floor in the garage. I just found taking the front wheels makes it easier. The good thing is that all of the screws that need to be removed to remove the fascia are all along the front edge of the car and the entire belly pan does not need to come off.

Did you at least get the DRL harness installed? That only takes a few minutes by turning your wheels to the left, removing 3 screws and plugging in the harness.

Also, I would not recommend installing the Noweeds system with the car on jacks. If I were you I would find a friend with a car lift, or find a local shop to help you install it. Again, if you were local I would be happy to help (so I could practice on your car instead of mine). Ha!

Thanks Matt, really the front fascia can come off that easily, my husband looked in the wheelwell and the liner had all kinds of screws that needed to be removed to pull it back, and its not flimsy so do you end up creasing it. He did say that the belly pan has like three or four screws that are connected to the spoiler, but he removed it to get it on jack stands. I'll let him know he can do this flat on the ground. I don't want to put him in danger, and no he didn't get to the harness, the stress level had peaked and it was time to put it back together and put everything away for the day. The Noweeds we think we can afford some shop time, just have them do the cut and install, drill the hole and from there we can do the rest which is basically fish the wires to the seat, plug in all the connections, test the controls and put the seat back in, mount the switch panel and should be good to go! We'll try to keep the shop time to a minimum. Anyway Mart, thanks for your support, you always have excellent advise. Thanks, I really mean that, and I'm definitely trying to get the look of your car because it is by far the BEST LOOKING ZL1 I've ever seen!

Deke736 07-16-2013 09:50 AM

The hardest part of doing it on the ground is that it's a bit awkward. When I first did mine, I actually ended up removing too many screws! I am going to email you a picture showing exactly which screws need to come off the belly pan to separate the fascia from the car. There will also still be 2 screws each side behind the tires that hold on the brake ducts, but that should be all that is different on the ZL1 from the video. For the rest of the instructions, follow the video exactly. And make sure you have the long Torx bit!

Normagene 07-24-2013 11:55 AM

I hear ya, actually I'm sending the kit back for a refund. Too difficult so for now its going back on my "wish list". It's definitely the look I'm chasing after. That lighting setup with the Noweeds, Perfect, exactly what I want the car to be. The Noweeds will go in as soon as we get some free time, which seems to be getting more and more difficult.

Normagene 08-25-2013 07:37 AM

NOWEEDS! Had my husband take her to a custom exhaust shop to do the install. Didn't want to put it on jackstands or buy/build a ramp. Plus the more I thought about it, I thought what if it just doesn't happen to go like clockwork. What then, stuck in my driveway without the proper tools or parts. Wouldn't you know that's exactly what happened. What should of been less than an hour on the lift turned into three plus hours. They let me go under the lift and mark/tape the cut lines as well as mark the one hole that has to be drilled. They made the first cut and undid the cat clamp, but when they tried to fit the diverter, no go. It was hitting the factory bolt on the trans brace, first picture below. I went and took a look, thought about cutting more of the pipe to move the diverter a little bit more forward or back, and that wasn't going to work either. Then I remembered someone saying that they had to grind down one of the trans brace bolts. So once they did just that it fit like a glove. Passenger side went in perfectly. No problems whatsoever!

They stuffed all the wiring into the hole and tied everything up nice and neat underneath. Then drove home removed the drivers seat, the center console trim and fished out the wires. Pretty much plug and play from there, tapped into the seat harness for power and reinstalled the seat. Pushed the button and heard the actuators open, pressed the close button and heard click, yes I said CLICK, no movement just a Click. Called Steve at Noweeds, who was Outstanding, and he helped me trouble shoot the problem. Put my meter on it and the ground was shorting somewhere. Took about an hour to do all the wiring part, but still had a short somewhere. So the next morning removed the seat again, and sure enough that was it, the seat pinched the ground wire, so I stuffed the wires far away from the mounting brace, reinstalled the seat and pushed the button. Yes sir! All was well! Started her up, Holy Crap is she loud, preset the center button so its just a fraction open, still sounds great but definitely won't get me pulled over by the lawman. Wide open is crazy loud! Fun Fun Fun. And I love that I can just press a button and be right back to the factory sound. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/anyhema6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/urezudy5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/gu5u7uru.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

gregbzl1 08-25-2013 09:20 AM

How about a video so we can hear the difference! I have been thinking of this for my ZL1.

jbotta 08-25-2013 09:45 AM

Dam normagene, Your not playing around,,, Lets get a vid how your z sounds now.

Normagene 08-25-2013 10:31 AM

Definitely going to put a video together. I'll do all three positions, stock, about 20% Open, that's my preset setting, and Wide Open. I want to get my husband in his truck out on the hi-way side by side, at nite, and then I'll put it to the floor. I want my husband to see if he can see Flames coming out underneath! Seriously! If I sit in the drivers seat with the door open and I reach my hand outside below the plastic black trim and rev the car up a few times, you bet, the exhaust is hitting my hand and its Hot! OMG I Love that Popping Sound!!! Plus More Horsepower! How Cool Is That!!! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/du6ajujy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/25/ugy8e6ut.jpg

bbadbob69 08-25-2013 01:14 PM

Are those c.f. gills? Can you tell me where you got them. That's what I been lookin for. Thanks!

swizlstik 08-25-2013 09:03 PM

Can't wait to hear this!

Deke736 08-26-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swizlstik (Post 6940757)
Can't wait to hear this!

+1! I am looking forward to a video!

Normagene 08-28-2013 03:47 PM

Second Oil Change today. 5,237 miles, first oil change was at 896 miles. So around 4,300 miles on her since the last time. Also checked out the Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug that I installed last oil change. A few tiny little metal flakes, but really clean. I actually expected it to look much worst, with all kinds of shavings, but it looked really good. Then I opened the drain on my Catch Can which was only installed back on July 13th, so maybe at most I'd say 500 miles ago. For some reason I forgot to write/log the mileage when I did the install. Anyway, not one drop of oil. Seriously, NOT ONE DROP CAME OUT. The drain hose still looks brand new. Checked all the connections and everything looks perfect. I guess 500 miles is not enough miles.

p.s. still trying to get that Noweeds video together. They sure loved the sound at the dealership.

Normagene 08-28-2013 05:21 PM

Okay, I tried to make a quick video. Stock/Pre-set/Wide Open. But I think I accidentally did Stock/Wide Open and then Pre-set. Then of course my sneaky sneaky husband tried to get me, the Mad Woman behind the wheel on video after I made sure and explicitly said don't video me! Men, you can't trust any of them, oh well I'll try,to get a better one, maybe from inside the car!

http://youtu.be/ssSSurd3-X4

jessrayo 08-28-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normagene (Post 6956712)
Okay, I tried to make a quick video. Stock/Pre-set/Wide Open. But I think I accidentally did Stock/Wide Open and then Pre-set. Then of course my sneaky sneaky husband tried to get me, the Mad Woman behind the wheel on video after I made sure and explicitly said don't video me! Men, you can't trust any of them, oh well I'll try,to get a better one, maybe from inside the car!

http://youtu.be/ssSSurd3-X4

The link is not working... it says the video was removed......