Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Installing lowering springs help!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357615)

Kill3mall 05-09-2014 09:50 PM

Installing lowering springs help!!

2 Attachment(s)
So today I tried to install my pfadt lowering springs on my ss. Everything went good no real trouble until the last spring of course. On the right rear of the car I cannot get the spindle assembly to line up with the control arm to put the bolt through. I tried for over an hour taking everything out and putting it back in and the damn thing wont line up... I'm hoping anyone has some advice for me it would be greatly appreciated! My car is blocking the garage from closing and I need to get to work tomorrow! lol

Obzen 05-09-2014 10:06 PM

Disengage the emergency brake.

Squillo 05-09-2014 10:09 PM

I just did this last weekend. You just have to maneuver it around until it goes in. It's SUPER helpful to have an extra set of hands to help, and I ended up using a floor jack under the control arm to help push things into the right place. You can also use a large screwdriver to help align the holes.

Don't give up, get a neighbor or your wife to help if you need to.

It can be done!!!

Kill3mall 05-09-2014 10:23 PM

that should be the last step right? I tried bolting it down first and last and what not. Had some friends tuggin and pulling too! Is pulling the parking brake really gonna help anything?

Squillo 05-09-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kill3mall (Post 7652146)
that should be the last step right? I tried bolting it down first and last and what not. Had some friends tuggin and pulling too! Is pulling the parking brake really gonna help anything?

No.

Obzen 05-09-2014 11:40 PM

Make sure the brake is off. If it doesn't help then no harm done.

LoneStar 05-09-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squillo (Post 7652113)
I just did this last weekend. You just have to maneuver it around until it goes in. It's SUPER helpful to have an extra set of hands to help, and I ended up using a floor jack under the control arm to help push things into the right place. You can also use a large screwdriver to help align the holes.

Don't give up, get a neighbor or your wife to help if you need to.

It can be done!!!

What he said. Use a screwdriver to line up the holes from the opposite side that you are gonna put the bolt through. The insert the bolt while pulling the screwdriver out.

pyroguy 05-10-2014 04:59 AM

BFH and/or a pry bar?

Jamie Mac 05-10-2014 09:43 AM

Put it in neutral and make sure the parking brake is off. It makes a difference

CamaroLS 05-10-2014 03:02 PM

Like Squillo said put a floor jack under the control arm and Jack it up a little at a time and it should help line it up or a lot closer than it is in the picture.

Squillo 05-11-2014 09:23 AM

Did you get it done OP?

If so, what worked in getting it aligned?

Trob85 05-11-2014 10:44 AM

I used a floor jack, pry bar, and a really big azz hammer. I compressed it with the jack used a pry bar to get it close to get the bolt most of the way in. After I got it in a bit it would be super tight I pried it up and hammered the bolt all the way through, it took some muscle and mixture of bad words but it got done.

Jeff_SS 05-11-2014 11:06 AM

Show us some before/after photos

Camarodriver2 05-11-2014 11:46 AM

You could put the wheels on and push the from the inside with your foot.