Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   2012 2SS A6 Transmission Grind - Help car going in Friday (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215814)

xtreme3881 04-11-2012 01:25 PM

2012 2SS A6 Transmission Grind - Help car going in Friday

Hello guys, and gals.

What we're working with is a 2012 Camaro 2SS Automatic with 280 miles on it. This started happening two days ago. So here is what happens....

Lets say I'm home from work for the night. The next morning I get ready to leave start the car up, and reverse out of my driveway the car seems fine. I drive about 4 miles to work, and backup into my parking space that is a flat level spot. Keep in mind the car is fully warmed up by the time I get to work. So now I go into work, and 4 hours later I get ready to leave for lunch. This is where the problems start.
  1. Start the car
  2. Wait for the gages to do there thing, and settle down.
  3. Place in to Drive

Loud grinding, and vibrating noise for about 5-6 seconds. Put it into park, and back into drive the noise goes away. The only thing I can compare the noise to is if you started drive down the road, and threw your car into reverse it would make a loud obnoxious clicking/grinding sound. Trust me I'm not doing this, but heard that noise before in the past with someone else. The car gets pretty sluggish, almost like I was holding my foot on the break while giving it gas without breaking the tires loose.

Now the weird part is if I wait an hour or two after I'm back from lunch I cant get it to do it again. The second part to this issue (which may be another issues itself) is when I'm cruising down the road with lets say 5% throttle I hear this tiny rattle/whistle below my gear shifter. To compare that sound is almost like when you pull into your garage after drive for awhile, and turn the car off you hear the exhaust crackle/pop from the heat, and then cooling down. Thats the sounds it makes while drive. Anything over 45 MPH I cant hear it maybe due to tire noise,wind against the car...etc

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Car is going in Friday, but like to have some more knowledge on what it could possibly be, or even a TSB.

I will add this is NOT a 2nd gear grind. 1- This is not an auto, and 2-it does the first thing with the car is stopped.

For the sluggish part without the noise I did try the ECU 15A fuse reset just in case it would help, even though the 2012 are supposed to adapt on the fly.

Thanks,
John

xtreme3881 04-11-2012 03:44 PM

OK, everyone I started laying on the ground thinking what my rattle issue might be. Could it be the thin metal/aluminum heat shields around the trans, and exhaust? They seem pretty flimsy when I tap them.

That still doesn't address my first issue, but may be my second issue. Thoughts suggestions?

xtreme3881 04-12-2012 08:48 AM

OK, since nobody is replying since I understand its a tricky issue, and one of those ones you need to see it to understand.

With that being said, does ANYONE have access to all open TSB's for my 2012 Camaro A6 2SS?

Grant 10-17-2012 07:13 PM

I get a grinding noise on my '13 2SS A6 after I first turn it on when it's been parked for a while. I'll be driving down the road and as it shifts from 1st to 2nd it'll making grinding noise and feel. Sometimes even 2nd to 3rd. After it warms up a little it seems to get better. It seems to be similar to what the OP is experiencing. Anyone have any ideas?

Chevrolet Customer Svc 10-19-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 5706258)
I get a grinding noise on my '13 2SS A6 after I first turn it on when it's been parked for a while. I'll be driving down the road and as it shifts from 1st to 2nd it'll making grinding noise and feel. Sometimes even 2nd to 3rd. After it warms up a little it seems to get better. It seems to be similar to what the OP is experiencing. Anyone have any ideas?

I would recommend taking your vehicle in to a dealership to see if they can diagnose the issue for you. We are here if you experience any further issues.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service