Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I need help More Mods!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211894)

jonpro2000 03-25-2012 03:26 PM

I need help More Mods!!

Okay so let me start off by saying what all i have done to my car so far, Its a 2011 Camaro 2SS i believe its an RS as well not 100% positive though, ok so my mods are
ARH 1 7/8" headers, 3" pipe with X pipe connected to a Axle back magnaflow competition exhaust 2.5" pipe. then i have a K&N Cold Air intake. I was wondering if yall could help me out and list some more options that i could put on my car. I dont want to put a supercharger or turbo on so anything beside that would be great. Thanks!!
Also my car is at a local shop Getting dyno tuned right now so im hoping that my car brings back some good numbers, what do you guys think it will dyno? I really hope its in the 400s?

Rockit_z28 03-25-2012 03:42 PM

See signature. Not sure if yours is a stick or an auto.

jonpro2000 03-25-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockit_z28 (Post 4702535)
See signature. Not sure if yours is a stick or an auto.

Its an Auto

brantley847 03-25-2012 03:54 PM

Consider a cam swap, VVT or LS3, both are great. I went conversion because I do plan on one day doing a supercharger... and don't put the supercharger out of your mind. Tuned correctly for efficiency they can be very reliable. But to get to 400+, you will probably need the cam swap. Expect to throw down 4-5k after tune, install, and all the supporting mods that come with it. See my sig...and heres my video. I only lost 1mpg, and that would be attributed to the stall most likely. Understand as you progress through the 400s to 500 hp range, you will most likely begin to see a dip in MPGs (if you were concerned at all about that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1TKJ4Nk90

jonpro2000 03-25-2012 04:07 PM

what type of cam would you recommend me using with my mods? and if you dont mind me asking whats a Rx catch can?

CamaroFemme 03-25-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonpro2000 (Post 4702486)
i believe its an RS as well not 100% positive though, ok so my mods are ARH 1 7/8" headers, 3" pipe with X pipe connected to a Axle back magnaflow competition exhaust 2.5" pipe. then i have a K&N Cold Air intake. I was wondering if yall could help me out and list some more options that i could put on my car. I dont want to put a supercharger or turbo on so anything beside that would be great

A cam will lose you mileage, so personally that's out for me, if it isn't an issue for you you might consider it. I'm sure plenty of people here will mention performance mods so I'll mention other mods - are you happy with your paint? A custom paint job is an option, especially considering the paint is the Camaro's weak spot. How about your audio system? The audio section here will help you out there as well. There are also plenty of suspension mods to consider (though some will hurt your ride quality, check out the suspension section here for more details.)

Oh, and I took a look at your album - the halogen headlights and red SS say that yep, you have the RS package. :) The front SS looks silver, though. It may be the lighting or you may have switched it out to match the car...?

Frid 03-25-2012 10:03 PM

There are several things you can do. Throttle body, Underdrive pulley, catch can, suspension work, cam/heads. There are also cosmetic mods if you are planning on entering car shows and things like that.

Lee123 03-25-2012 10:14 PM

You might think about a VMax ported throttle body. I put that on right after the exhaust and intake and really like the improved throttle response. Beyond that you might want to consider a cam. I just got mine installed and I'm extremely happy. In addition to more power it changes the sound a lot. It has really made the car stand out from any of the others I've owned over the years.

Falundir 03-26-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFemme (Post 4703738)
A cam will lose you mileage, so personally that's out for me, if it isn't an issue for you you might consider it.

I get 17/21 with my current setup. Just some real world numbers to throw out there.

InfernoSS454 03-27-2012 08:47 PM

Miles per gallon are all depending on the driver and their right foot. Get a cam you'll love the old school muscle car sound and it'll be a blast to drive.

John@cartek 03-28-2012 09:42 AM

We have had a lot of customers very happy with our cam only package

CamaroFemme 03-28-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoSS454 (Post 4715163)
Miles per gallon are all depending on the driver and their right foot. Get a cam you'll love the old school muscle car sound and it'll be a blast to drive.

I could've sworn I read on here a cam costs you mpg. True? False? Depends on how aggressive the cam is? Let me know, I don't wanna spread misinformation!

Lee123 03-28-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFemme (Post 4719028)
I could've sworn I read on here a cam costs you mpg. True? False? Depends on how aggressive the cam is? Let me know, I don't wanna spread misinformation!

I haven't had long enough to be certain, but it seems that I've lost 1 or 2 mpg somewhere between the headers, cam, and ported throttle body. The throttle body went on first and I had a feeling that had cost a little on the mileage, which would make sense since it has the effect of letting a bit more air in quicker at every start. I am extremely happy with that effect, though, so I really don't care. I've only gone through 1 full tank since the cam and headers were installed and got a whopping 14 mpg (calculated, not the car computer which always reads .5 high) which is a bit more than 1 worse than what I've averaged since I bought the car. Well worth it in my opinion since I love the way the car runs with the headers and cam!

MPG doesn't matter much to me but I got in a habit of tracking it a few years ago so I could see how much the ups and downs of gas prices really effect me.

CamaroFemme 03-28-2012 04:55 PM

Also a factor: the first few months after a mod I would expect the mpg to drop no matter what, since you're "trying out the new mods!" :)