Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cell Phones (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53033)

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 12:26 PM

Cell Phones

Just like the car thread, I am again asking for feedback. I left my cell phone carrier back in October. I can not say that I was truly happy being a Sprint customer. Hence why I never renewed my contract. I am looking at other carriers. Such as At&t, T Mobile, and possibly Verizon.

I am only interested in touch screen cell phones/smart phones. I will list below some of the phones I am looking at, and if you have ever personally dealt with them, let me know what you liked, and disliked about them

Apple I Phone 3GS
HTC Imagio
HTC Pure
My Touch 3G
HTC Hero

I know the Hero is with sprint, but if it's a good phone, I'd consider going back to sprint.

Justin 11-20-2009 01:00 PM

Eh, you're probably better off going with the Droid Eris on Verizon. It's the exact same device as the HTC Hero, except it has a proximity sensor, and a very slightly different external design. The proximity sensor really does make a difference. There have been a significant number of complaints with the Hero about people hanging up calls, etc, because their face touches the screen.

I wouldn't bother going with the MyTouch, honestly. It's essentially an HTC Hero without HTC's SenseUI, which is what makes the Hero such an incredible device.

Also, I'm kind of shocked to not see the Moto Droid or HTC Touch Pro 2 on here. You might also want to wait and see who gets the HTC HD2 when that comes around.

If you want a media and app-centric device without a keyboard, there's really no beating the iPhone.

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 1196352)
Eh, you're probably better off going with the Droid Eris on Verizon. It's the exact same device as the HTC Hero, except it has a proximity sensor, and a very slightly different external design. The proximity sensor really does make a difference. There have been a significant number of complaints with the Hero about people hanging up calls, etc, because their face touches the screen.

I wouldn't bother going with the MyTouch, honestly. It's essentially an HTC Hero without HTC's SenseUI, which is what makes the Hero such an incredible device.

Also, I'm kind of shocked to not see the Moto Droid or HTC Touch Pro 2 on here. You might also want to wait and see who gets the HTC HD2 when that comes around.

If you want a media and app-centric device without a keyboard, there's really no beating the iPhone.

That's what I am thinking. I don't want a keyboard.

Curt@BMCPerformance 11-20-2009 01:15 PM

i got my motorola droid over on verizon. BEST DEVICE i have ever owned. period. It literally does everything, screen is amazing and HUGE. Having the android OS is amazing. Over the air updates, keypad is great. its perfect!

I come from (smartphone wise)

Palm Treo 700wx
Samsung SCHi-760
RIM Blackberry

its amazing and i'd never get another phone. If you try it and don't like the shape or the size or something physical then go for the HTC Eris.

engadget.com and boygeniusreport will give you GOBS of info on either of them.

Justin 11-20-2009 01:19 PM

Oh, and you may also want to consider waiting for some other new Motorola devices that may be coming around soon. It's rumored that Motorola will be releasing another device on Verizon featuring their MotoBLUR software (essentially an overlay on top of Android).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-5IFSREVk

The device they show there is the Cliq on T-Mobile, but other devices will have the MotoBLUR software.

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance (Post 1196419)
i got my motorola droid over on verizon. BEST DEVICE i have ever owned. period. It literally does everything, screen is amazing and HUGE. Having the android OS is amazing. Over the air updates, keypad is great. its perfect!

I come from (smartphone wise)

Palm Treo 700wx
Samsung SCHi-760
RIM Blackberry

its amazing and i'd never get another phone. If you try it and don't like the shape or the size or something physical then go for the HTC Eris.

engadget.com and boygeniusreport will give you GOBS of info on either of them.

WOW, a BMC guy lol. I haven't been to those forums forever. Still running strong over there? Thanks for the advice.

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 1196433)
Oh, and you may also want to consider waiting for some other new Motorola devices that may be coming around soon. It's rumored that Motorola will be releasing another device on Verizon featuring their MotoBLUR software (essentially an overlay on top of Android).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-5IFSREVk

The device they show there is the Cliq on T-Mobile, but other devices will have the MotoBLUR software.

I am going to be waiting as long as I can stand not having a cell phone. I seen a pure black I Phone...where it didn't have the chrome part on it...around the sides, but can not find that again.

Justin 11-20-2009 01:26 PM

You might want to consider T-Mobile's new plans then. Their Even More Plus plans are contract-free, and you pay a monthly installment on your device. Essentially the idea is that the plans are cheaper, but you don't get a subsidy on the phone, so it winds up being cheaper in the long run, because usually carriers build around a $20 a month fee for the subsidy into your plan, but then once your phone is paid off, or if you don't buy one from them, they're just getting free money from you.

So, if you buy a prepaid phone or something, that might be able to hold you over.

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 1196468)
You might want to consider T-Mobile's new plans then. Their Even More Plus plans are contract-free, and you pay a monthly installment on your device. Essentially the idea is that the plans are cheaper, but you don't get a subsidy on the phone, so it winds up being cheaper in the long run, because usually carriers build around a $20 a month fee for the subsidy into your plan, but then once your phone is paid off, or if you don't buy one from them, they're just getting free money from you.

So, if you buy a prepaid phone or something, that might be able to hold you over.

Thanks for the advice man.

Superman09 11-20-2009 01:38 PM

Stay away from HTC. I fiance has been through 3 HTC phones in less than 5 months. And with no proximity sensor on the hero you hang up on people all the time. The Droid is a very nice phone, as is the Iphone. But like alot of my friends with Iphones have said, unless you really need something to help you stay organized the Iphone is basically a really expensive MP3 player that makes phone calls. I just got the Chocolate touch from Verizon and for being a "non-smart" phone it pretty nice and very easy to use.

Curt@BMCPerformance 11-20-2009 01:52 PM

Haha, yup, sure are! Np and see ya around the forum! :wave:

DropTheGloves 11-20-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance (Post 1196553)
Haha, yup, sure are! Np and see ya around the forum! :wave:

Just outta curiosity, what is your username over there?

FenwickHockey65 11-20-2009 04:11 PM

Verizon's decent.

Helps that GM has a corporate discount with them.

Justin 11-20-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman09 (Post 1196513)
Stay away from HTC. I fiance has been through 3 HTC phones in less than 5 months. And with no proximity sensor on the hero you hang up on people all the time. The Droid is a very nice phone, as is the Iphone. But like alot of my friends with Iphones have said, unless you really need something to help you stay organized the Iphone is basically a really expensive MP3 player that makes phone calls. I just got the Chocolate touch from Verizon and for being a "non-smart" phone it pretty nice and very easy to use.

I've always had great luck with HTC devices. The proximity sensor in the Hero is a BIG problem though, and I'm not sure HOW that slipped past HTC, but they did rectify it for the VZW version. HTC has certainly had their problem devices, but a lot of the problems with HTC devices comes not from the device, but from WinMo.

And a quick side note, as far as the choice of network goes, I wouldn't put a whole lot of pittance into Verizon's current ad campaign. The ads are EXTREMELY misleading. Basically Verizon's older network technically qualifies as a 3G standard, while AT&T's does not, even though AT&T's is faster, which is people assume "3G" to mean. AT&T and Verizon have fairly similar high-speed coverage, and you should choose based on the coverage in your area.

Personally I like T-Mobile for high speed data, even though their 3G footprint is very small. Where they do have 3G coverage, it's usually faster, and they're working on upgrading their network to a standard 3x faster than AT&T is currently upgrading their network to, and 9x faster than VZW or Sprint's data networks (about equal to the speeds users are seeing on Sprint's 4G network, which has a much smaller footprint than T-Mobile's 3G network).

If you have network questions, that's my area of expertise. Haha.