Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   United SportsCar Racing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283794)

ShnOmac 03-19-2013 01:32 PM

United SportsCar Racing

United SportsCar Racing is the new name of the GRAND-AM & American Le Mans combined series which will debut next year.

The announcement of this merger was made last September and a few months later they revealed the ALMS P1 prototype class was eliminated. Now, the combined series has received a name – United SportsCar Racing.

The Prototype Class will include Daytona prototypes, DeltaWing and ALMP P2 cars. ALMS GT will be known from now on as the GT LeMans (GTLM), while the current Grand-AM GT and ALMS GTC classes will form the GT Daytona (GTD). As for the Prototype Challenge (PC) and GX classes, these will remain the same.
United SportsCar Racing will kick off the 2014 season with the Rolex 24 event at Daytona.

Going to be tough to follow every class.... I have a feeling the TV coverage is going to seem like it's all over the place. :iono:

Thoughts?

ShnOmac 03-19-2013 02:07 PM

Anyone know if Stevenson Motorsports is going to compete?

ZED SLED 03-19-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 6305816)
Anyone know if Stevenson Motorsports is going to compete?

No doubt, but since they're the only Camaro in GT at this point, what will it be next year? If someone sees Mike Johnson at Barber next month, see if you can squeeze some info out of him. I'll see them at Watkins in June. They likely wont know until the off season.

ShnOmac 03-19-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclark10 (Post 6305888)
If someone sees Mike Johnson at Barber next month, see if you can squeeze some info out of him.

I actually just got a message from him. I asked him if they were going to compete and all he replied was "Time will tell". Hopefully it works out for them!

ZED SLED 03-20-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 6306626)
I actually just got a message from him. I asked him if they were going to compete and all he replied was "Time will tell". Hopefully it works out for them!

Yeah, if you send him an e-mail he will almost always answer within an hour, but it's seldom more than 3 words long. He gives a good team tour in the paddock though, and is really patient. I guess the bigger question is, how much involvement is Chevy going to have in this outside of the Corvette classes? GS is down to 2 Camaro teams this year. Guess time will tell there, too.

Tim Adams 03-24-2013 08:58 PM

My guess is only the Compuware Vettes will see factory support, which is the way it should be. The Grand-Am GT class is a joke. Only the Vettes can race at Le Mans. Le Mans is really the only sportscar race that matters. No car that runs in Grand-Am in any class is eligible to race at Le Mans. Everything about Grand-Am is a joke. Sorry to see the ALMS go down the tubes, and along with it sportscar racing in the US.

ShnOmac 05-14-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Adams (Post 6329182)
Sorry to see the ALMS go down the tubes, and along with it sportscar racing in the US.

I think the new series is going to make racing in the US much better.... JMO

Tim Adams 05-23-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 6543771)
I think the new series is going to make racing in the US much better.... JMO

You are definitely in the minority on this one.