Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   6 Speed shift pattern changed? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5270)

Crowkillers 07-21-2008 04:22 PM

6 Speed shift pattern changed?

So they switched reverse from the right side to the left side? That's kinda gay.

Mindz 07-21-2008 04:41 PM

I've always seen the pattern in the new camaro with reverse on the left. What's wrong with it?

Warghost 07-21-2008 04:49 PM

Much better having it on the right. Every time you stop and start moving, you are accessing the lower gears. More chances for the car to be accidently placed into reverse. Since most drivers are in lower gears all the time (and changing in and out at lights, stopping, etc.) it would be safer keeping reverse away from the most commonly used gears.

Mindz 07-21-2008 04:58 PM

it takes quite a strong arm to get the shifter over far enough into reverse. I can see your point, but I just don't think it will case a problem. maybe ifyou're trying to slam second and are treating the shifter extremely rough. iunno though. Some people might have a problem with it, darwin awards exist.

o2camaross 07-21-2008 05:27 PM

i think thats the v6 6 speed. im pretty sure the tr6060 in the SS is the same as the T56's, ie reverse on the right. i imay be wrong

TAG UR IT 07-21-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warghost (Post 94846)
Much better having it on the right. Every time you stop and start moving, you are accessing the lower gears. More chances for the car to be accidently placed into reverse. Since most drivers are in lower gears all the time (and changing in and out at lights, stopping, etc.) it would be safer keeping reverse away from the most commonly used gears.

:word:

I've been driving my M6 stick for quite a while. I was worried that I was going to go into reverse when trying to go into 6th when I saw my current shift pattern. Well, there was a lock out feature that kept it from doing that at highway speeds.

Now, I'm concerned about finding 1st and not reverse accidentally and getting into an accident.

I WANT THE REVERSE ON TEH RIGHT!!! But all the complaining in the world won't make that happen. That sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2camaross (Post 94951)
i think thats the v6 6 speed. im pretty sure the tr6060 in the SS is the same as the T56's, ie reverse on the right. i imay be wrong

I'm pretty sure that it's on the left. I think I just read that it was on the left for the LS3. Not too cool...

Mindz 07-21-2008 05:30 PM

you can afford an M6 on a cop's salary?

fastball 07-21-2008 05:31 PM

I have one question for this thread......

Who gives a turkey which side reverse is on? :iono:

I mean, it's not like you row through the reverse gears while carving through a slalom course. You use it for all of about 20 seconds in a day.

They could put the reverse gear between my legs and I wouldn't care :yikes:

Well, maybe I would. :bellyroll:

TAG UR IT 07-21-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 94963)
you can afford an M6 on a cop's salary?

?? A Hurst short throw Manual 6? which was installed on my SS when I purchased it? Sorry, you lost me...
Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 94968)
I have one question for this thread......

Who gives a turkey which side reverse is on? :iono:

I mean, it's not like you row through the reverse gears while carving through a slalom course. You use it for all of about 20 seconds in a day.

They could put the reverse gear between my legs and I wouldn't care :yikes:

Well, maybe I would. :bellyroll:

I care which side it's on because we don't want to accidentally go into reverse when meaning to go into 1st gear to take off. I've never tried the M6 in the TR6060 so I don't know how it'll work. I'm happy to give it a chance, but I'll just have to see. I would still like it to be on the right side. If it ain't broke.............

Chogan2200 07-21-2008 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that's how VW does there gear layouts. Down and upper left......right?

garfin 07-21-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 94956)
:word:

I've been driving my M6 stick for quite a while. I was worried that I was going to go into reverse when trying to go into 6th when I saw my current shift pattern. Well, there was a lock out feature that kept it from doing that at highway speeds.

Now, I'm concerned about finding 1st and not reverse accidentally and getting into an accident.

I WANT THE REVERSE ON TEH RIGHT!!! But all the complaining in the world won't make that happen. That sucks.

I'm pretty sure that it's on the left. I think I just read that it was on the left for the LS3. Not too cool...

Just to give you a bit of a heads-up... that reverse lockout solenoid does have the potential to go south on you. Ask me how I know...
It's actually not that terrible an experience - especially if you have a high tolerance for listening to grinding sounds!

As for reverse being on the left, when I drove the manual V6 car at Milford in May, I actually did put it into reverse by accident (I hadn't looked at the shift pattern) when I wanted to launch the car. Good thing it was a very soft launch... and nobody was behind me!

Best regardSS,

Elie

Congoman775 07-21-2008 05:41 PM

guys idk if you've ever driven a stick w/ reverse on the left... but i was in an M3 yesturday and to put the stick in reverse was almost difficult!!!

i dont think anyone minus Ahh-Nald is going to accidentally put it in reverse if GM does it like BMW.

LegacyZ28 07-21-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 94984)
?? A Hurst short throw Manual 6? which was installed on my SS when I purchased it? Sorry, you lost me...

He thought you meant the BMW M6.

Emher 07-21-2008 05:49 PM

Goint to take a bit of getting used to since my Saab has it right bottom, but you gotta hold little switch under the knob to set it. Also have to get used to not set it in reverse every damn time when I stop since you have to do that when you want to take out the key on the Saab.