Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   2 tenths for $1,000-$1,500? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246703)

AngelSpeedFreak 08-27-2012 11:37 PM

2 tenths for $1,000-$1,500?

Any suggestions from the guys that know these cars best?

I told myself I would not spend any more cash this year, but you know how that goes.... :facepalm:

I am looking for something that will gain me a consistent 2 tenths. I have a couple ideas, but your suggestions from first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Current setup:
Stock block/ Stock Cam/ Heads/ etc
TVS2300 running 3.2 pulley on 7psi boost (Track is at 5253ft above sea level) - ribbed pulley and gator belt doesnt appear to have any slip, but I guess I could be wrong?
Doug Thorley 1 7/8 longtubes W/ cat delete
Noweeds diverters and Corsa Exhaust
Snow Meth kit
Linelock
17" Bogarts on rear W/ M&H drag radials (325's) - running 22" TSW's in the front.
Everything else is stock I believe.

Best time is 11.9@114mph
Consistent 12.1@113mph
consistent 1.7xx 60'
Car put down 608rwhp/ 597tq but these are corrected #'s for elevation. I'm sure actual is much lower.

Here are a couple of my thoughts:
1 - short throw shifter, trailing arms, sway bar
2 - Skinnies for the front (might be more than my budget?)
3 - overdrive for maggie to up the boost and trialing arms
4 - Gears? maybe the new LE1 gears? maybe get a short throw as well.

I am really leaning towards skinnies just because I love the look, but I have a feeling front rims/ tires wouldn't gain me .2?

Any and all suggestions would be great.

linehand7 08-27-2012 11:55 PM

best bang for the buck would be a smaller pulley and a second tune (may need a programer so you can switch back and forth on your tunes) at 7 pounds of boost you can go with a smaller pulley. if you can switch tunes (with a programer , you can also have a tune with 110 race fuel.) and you won't spend more than you want.

Oxtar41 08-28-2012 12:09 AM

Wow elevation sucks lol. Most stock ss's trap in the 110 range at lower altitude.

AngelSpeedFreak 08-28-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linehand7 (Post 5501477)
best bang for the buck would be a smaller pulley and a second tune (may need a programer so you can switch back and forth on your tunes) at 7 pounds of boost you can go with a smaller pulley. if you can switch tunes (with a programer , you can also have a tune with 110 race fuel.) and you won't spend more than you want.

This is a definite option. One thing I will need to look at is my injector status as I may be close to max on that and my stock fuel pump. I wont be able to go a smaller pulley up front as it's already a 3.2 but I could buy an overdrive for out back then possibly go up a little in the front to gain another 2-3 PSI pretty safely.

I do have an SCT handheld that came with my maggie but I've never used it. My tunes were done via a shop who used HP Tuners. I could probably get them to save both tunes on my SCT though?

Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtar41 (Post 5501514)
Wow elevation sucks lol. Most stock ss's trap in the 110 range at lower altitude.

You don't have to tell me about it. I hate coming on here and seeing how cars with longtubes are at my same numbers :facepalm: Stock SS' run about a 14.2 up here at around 95mph. DA is always between 7000-9000.

AngelSpeedFreak 08-28-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRD_WRK (Post 5503072)
Gotta ask :yikes:

I assume the maggie isn't hooked up to a stock air box :facepalm:- you didn't specify- else >0.2 gain with CAI and scoop.

I assume you air up the fronts above cold psi 'unofficially' to run-lower roll resistance.
17" Bogarts and M&H shinnies up front (weight in at ~36 lbs ea set if I recall)-great weight loss. Good start for diet-see diet list-'lose the weight/lowerthe time' for easy temporary or permanent items.

Trail arm / cradle bushing

Torq conv - 0.4 estm generally by Tracy (user SC1250)

Tim

Thanks. Forgot to mention the Rotofab CAI :facepalm:

I really wish I knew if the skinnies would give me any actual gains? I realize the weight difference between the Skinnies and my 22's is probably about 45lbs each. I guess that could be close to a tenth right there?

no torq cov as I am M6... Thinking maybe a short throw might gain me a bit?

AngelSpeedFreak 08-28-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It's little stuff like removing the washer bottle that could lead to a small enough gain that I am looking for..

Pro Stock John 08-28-2012 04:55 PM

Sux2bu has posted various wheel/tire combo weights a few times, I'd think that skinnies would drop off some weight and help overall. I think you'd see improvement also reducing rotating weight and the front skinnies would have less drag. These tanks are heavy, any weight reduction is a good idea.

Synner 08-28-2012 05:17 PM

I would do gear and skinnies to stay in your budget. What gear and rpm are you crossing the line at now? Don't go too steep and force another shift. And what rpm are you leaving the line at? Drag shocks would help if its purely a race car.

You'd need cam/fuel pump/injectors/cog drive/tune to get more out of the motor.

victoryred1ss 08-28-2012 05:32 PM

Do you have stock Maggie injectors and fuel pump? OD cog is definately the way to go. You have a good 60ft time so I would go after more hp.

AngelSpeedFreak 08-28-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John (Post 5504645)
Sux2bu has posted various wheel/tire combo weights a few times, I'd think that skinnies would drop off some weight and help overall. I think you'd see improvement also reducing rotating weight and the front skinnies would have less drag. These tanks are heavy, any weight reduction is a good idea.

I'm sure skinnies would help, I just havent seen any actual numbers to see if that would gain me .2 or not. Hate to spend all my loot on them and have zero gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 5504763)
I would do gear and skinnies to stay in your budget. What gear and rpm are you crossing the line at now? Don't go too steep and force another shift. And what rpm are you leaving the line at? Drag shocks would help if its purely a race car.

You'd need cam/fuel pump/injectors/cog drive/tune to get more out of the motor.

Crossing the line in 4th barely. I shift into 4th at almost the line, sometimes I hit rev limiter in 3rd as it is just that close.

I launch at 3800rpms.

Cam/Pump alone would be out of my price range that I want to spend I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoryred1ss (Post 5504860)
Do you have stock Maggie injectors and fuel pump? OD cog is definately the way to go. You have a good 60ft time so I would go after more hp.

stock injectors and pump.Think the OD and running 9-10 psi would be possible with stock fuel?

Synner 08-28-2012 05:55 PM

Then you definitely need gear. 3.91 would probably be just right when the 1LE crap is easier to get. I refuse to fall for the lingenfelter price gouging. And it would help make up for the poor DA a bit versus the motor work expense.

Ryan@Lingenfelter 08-28-2012 07:12 PM

I think a set of gears would definitely be a step in the right direction. Our gears are made by the OE manufacturer. They have a tried and proven track record and we have them in stock, ready to ship. PM me if you have any questions.

Ryan

Apex Motorsports 08-28-2012 07:35 PM

Are you putting down 608rwhp/597rwtq on stock suspension? If so you could easily see .2-.5 with a few suspension upgrades alone. Shoot me a PM if you would like to discuss it.

Supercharged SS 08-28-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 5505478)
Are you putting down 608rwhp/597rwtq on stock suspension? If so you could easily see .2-.5 with a few suspension upgrades alone. Shoot me a PM if you would like to discuss it.

With an M6 I hope he's not on a stock suspension!:facepalm: But I'd like to know how I can get .2-.5 with a few parts. Share some ideas. Hook a brother up!!