Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Odd Squeak from engine bay (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289717)

asmith10 04-16-2013 02:08 PM

Odd Squeak from engine bay

1 Attachment(s)
I just started the car up today (2010 LLT) and I heard this troubling noise. It seems to me to either be one of the pulleys or the belt, but I'm not completely sure yet. Do any of y'all have any ideas? I have attached a video of the sound being made. Thanks!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmith10 (Post 6430390)
I just started the car up today (2010 LLT) and I heard this troubling noise. It seems to me to either be one of the pulleys or the belt, but I'm not completely sure yet. Do any of y'all have any ideas? I have attached a video of the sound being made. Thanks!

Hello asmith,

Sorry your experiencing this strange sound coming your engine. I checked your video out and I believe the best course of action would be to get you into a dealership for further diagnosis. I can locate a dealer and help set up a appointment for you as well. I would need some information from you such as your full name, contact number, VIN #, vehicle mileage and finally your address with zip.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

mrpyle 04-24-2013 12:55 PM

I'm having that same sound on my 2011 2LT ... reminds me of a hamster wheel ... sort of a wobbling whiney noise. Is it a known issue?? Thanks for posting that video, I had been trying to explain it to others ... this video is spot on with my noise. Not sure where to find a good dealer to take it too though. I've asked around a bit, waiting for some recommendations.

Update - have a monday morning appt to have it looked at :-)

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-24-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpyle (Post 6463659)
I'm having that same sound on my 2011 2LT ... reminds me of a hamster wheel ... sort of a wobbling whiney noise. Is it a known issue?? Thanks for posting that video, I had been trying to explain it to others ... this video is spot on with my noise. Not sure where to find a good dealer to take it too though. I've asked around a bit, waiting for some recommendations.

Update - have a monday morning appt to have it looked at :-)

Greetings mrpyle,

Would you like me to locate a dealer for you? I would need your name, number and zip code. Would be happy to help out.

Reggie B.

Chevrolet Customer Care

The Stig 04-24-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmith10 (Post 6430390)

Taking a guess here - check your A/C belt. It might be off by a rib or two.

mrpyle 05-02-2013 06:07 PM

So I took it in ... service rep agreed, there was a definite squeal/squeak. Waited a good two hours. Then, when they were done, they said all was normal??? And I was given a TSB print out for a tick noise which comes from the fuel pump, which notifies me that particular tick noise was normal.

But ... I have a squeal, not a tick!!?? I can't hear a tick. IDK ... didn't have time to sit around another couple hours, so I left .... with my squeal. :iono:

The old saying goes ... if you want it done right, do it yourself. I may change out my tensioner first and see if that fixes it. The squeal doesn't seem to change with steering wheel movement, so I assume not a steering pump ... same for the ac, off or on, same squeal. Leaves alternator, belt, tensioner ... right?

mrpyle 05-02-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6465798)
Taking a guess here - check your A/C belt. It might be off by a rib or two.

That was notable on the V8 models ... quite common from what I found in this forum. No mentions of that issue with the V6, visual inspection looks ok.

The Stig 05-02-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpyle (Post 6497442)
That was notable on the V8 models ... quite common from what I found in this forum. No mentions of that issue with the V6, visual inspection looks ok.

Ah :/ best of luck.

2011RedSS 05-02-2013 09:03 PM

Same thing just started happening for me last week. I haven't had a chance to call dealer, expecting them to do a tensioner adjustment... better not give me a Tick TSB!

2011RedSS 05-02-2013 09:04 PM

By the way, with the top down, and it gets louder with RPM, it is SOOOO annoying...

mrpyle 05-02-2013 11:35 PM

Yours being a V8 may very well be the belt off a pulley by a rib or two. So I've read on here it's pretty common with the V8. And will make that noise.

Bpw72 05-05-2013 10:19 AM

I had the same squeak and it was the belt. New belt installed and squeak gone.

The Stig 05-05-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpw72 (Post 6507038)
I had the same squeak and it was the belt. New belt installed and squeak gone.

Right, you have a V8 - OP has a V6

mrpyle 05-10-2013 11:13 AM

Made a video for those asking about it -

Is this normal??? Some days louder than others.

jason25 04-07-2014 07:13 PM

I now this post is older but did anyone ever find out what this was, I am having the same issue with my 2014 v6,brought it in with around 500 miles and the tech said it was normal and didnt hear anything but if i did to hit it with belt dressing, today with 1100 miles it started again so i stoped and bought the dressing and did as he said, 75 miles later its still chirping, driving me nuts knowing i havent paid a single payment yet and already will have it back for the same noise twice.

Candr3535 04-07-2014 09:19 PM

Check the belt on the damper or crank pulley. If it jumped one rib and not centered on the pulley it will chirp. Take your time and look very closely when engine is not running. I would bet its that even tho you have a v6. I had that problem on a v8. But it's very possible you have the same problem. Good luck

jason25 04-08-2014 10:38 AM

Thanks, I will give it a good visual inspection again but didn't notice anything like that yesterday, like you said could be just one rib and I might have over looked it, I did like the OP and video taped the noise so the dealership doesn't think I am crazy, mine sounds just like his, sometimes louder than other times, sometimes you can't hear anything. Weird

jason25 04-22-2014 01:51 PM

Had this happen again, this time I drove right to the dealer. They had a tech look and listen to it, he hears it but doesn't know what it could be either. I am bringing it back next week, they said it could be the water pump or something internal and they will scope it, I have no idea what that is but I am sick of this noise. 1750 miles, that's all that's on the car, first payment not even due yet and already I am upset with this car. I hope they find it.

RobertRS 04-22-2014 04:30 PM

Take the belts off and start it up. Just don't run it down the road. If it stops it's pulley related. If not it's internal.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-22-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7602494)
Had this happen again, this time I drove right to the dealer. They had a tech look and listen to it, he hears it but doesn't know what it could be either. I am bringing it back next week, they said it could be the water pump or something internal and they will scope it, I have no idea what that is but I am sick of this noise. 1750 miles, that's all that's on the car, first payment not even due yet and already I am upset with this car. I hope they find it.

Sincere apologies to read about this noise jason25. I understand your displeasure and can appreciate your efforts to enlist the dealer's assistance with regard to this matter. You are free to keep me updated on this situation. Although we are unable to provide technical advice, we're here for additional assistance in working with the dealer.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

jason25 04-22-2014 06:08 PM

Thanks william and robert, i am letting the dealer handle this for now. I mean there are only 1802 miles on the car as of right this minute so no point in me taking anything apart although i would like to see it myself. I also believe it might be from the waterpump area, but we shall see.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-23-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7603192)
Thanks william and robert, i am letting the dealer handle this for now. I mean there are only 1802 miles on the car as of right this minute so no point in me taking anything apart although i would like to see it myself. I also believe it might be from the waterpump area, but we shall see.

I understand,

Please keep us updated on the situation. We look forward to any further updates you provide.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

TooCool5 04-23-2014 06:40 PM

There is a service bullet out on the 10's to change the belt.

Think it was a poly replacement from the kevlar.

jason25 04-27-2014 09:07 PM

Thanks, goes in tomorrow. Will keep this updated if the cause is found, mine is a 2014 and the belt was checked already. The noise wasn't all the time but now it's been everyday this week so I am hoping the dealer won't have an issue in the morning finding it.

jason25 04-28-2014 04:15 PM

brought the car in this morning, received a call this afternoon that i wont have it back until tommorow, tech says its the fuel pump. i guess the lfx has the pump on the motor and thats whats making the noise, same noise as posted above by another member. i will keep you all in the loop because i still think it is the water pump pulley, but i could be wrong.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-28-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7617936)
Thanks, goes in tomorrow. Will keep this updated if the cause is found, mine is a 2014 and the belt was checked already. The noise wasn't all the time but now it's been everyday this week so I am hoping the dealer won't have an issue in the morning finding it.

It's pleasing to read of the dealer visit you made as a result of this concerning situation. By all means, keep us posted on the continuing process and don't hesitate to let us know if additional assistance is needed.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

jason25 04-30-2014 12:59 PM

Picked my car up and drove it back towards home, needed to make a stop first only 25 minutes after picking it up and that friggin noise is back, called the dealer immediately and let them know but they can't give me any answer other than that's what gm suggested they replace. First payment is due tommorrow and I am so pissed that I reported this twice and they had the car for two and a half days and the noise issue isn't resolved. I understand the dealt says they want to fix the problem but a car with 1980 miles shouldn't need this much attention, and replacing parts that didn't need to be pisses me off. So long story short.... No answer yet for others who might have this problem

RobertRS 04-30-2014 01:56 PM

So what parts did they replace, or does that remain a mystery as well?

jason25 04-30-2014 01:58 PM

Replaced high pressure fuel pump

Chevrolet Customer Svc 04-30-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7626148)
Picked my car up and drove it back towards home, needed to make a stop first only 25 minutes after picking it up and that friggin noise is back, called the dealer immediately and let them know but they can't give me any answer other than that's what gm suggested they replace. First payment is due tommorrow and I am so pissed that I reported this twice and they had the car for two and a half days and the noise issue isn't resolved. I understand the dealt says they want to fix the problem but a car with 1980 miles shouldn't need this much attention, and replacing parts that didn't need to be pisses me off. So long story short.... No answer yet for others who might have this problem

Oh no!

Very sorry to read that the noise has returned. If you'd like, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at the dealer. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

jason25 04-30-2014 05:34 PM

Just took it on a hour ride with the wife, noise is continuous, brought it into the garage and poped the hood, removed the belt and ran it for a minute, noise is the same, i know noise travels and you can hear it in the car with the windows up or down, its a little more noise on the drivers side of the engine bay to the rear of the motor, same bucket of crickets that the OP put up in a video, I cant stand having this noise on a new car, its so embarrassing to show people your new car that you have to pay for the next 5 yrs.

top_of_the_pile 04-30-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7626882)
Just took it on a hour ride with the wife, noise is continuous, brought it into the garage and poped the hood, removed the belt and ran it for a minute, noise is the same, i know noise travels and you can hear it in the car with the windows up or down, its a little more noise on the drivers side of the engine bay to the rear of the motor, same bucket of crickets that the OP put up in a video, I cant stand having this noise on a new car, its so embarrassing to show people your new car that you have to pay for the next 5 yrs.

I know exactly what you mean. Embarrassing as heck. I have a door rattle, acceleration hiss/scrape, and rough ride all around and barely over 700 miles. Heck, the door rattle started probably when car had about 400-500 miles on it. I foresee recalls galore on V6 2014s.

jason25 04-30-2014 06:12 PM

This engine noise started about 500 miles in, thought it might go away but i was wrong, i am so ticked off right now at this situation. I have waited about 4 yrs for a new car, wanted a camaro in the worst way, now i feel let down. I always have the great luck of buying the brand new broken thing, it never fails.

top_of_the_pile 04-30-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason25 (Post 7626983)
This engine noise started about 500 miles in, thought it might go away but i was wrong, i am so ticked off right now at this situation. I have waited about 4 yrs for a new car, wanted a camaro in the worst way, now i feel let down. I always have the great luck of buying the brand new broken thing, it never fails.

Cost cutting or just poor QC. I had a 2012 2LS Camaro and I had the now infamous keychain issue (my 2012 Camaro would randomly stall and shut off as I soon as I would get it rolling) it turned out to be keys. Thankfully it was always in the gravel parking lot of my workplace, and not while doing 80MPH on the highway. *cross-myself* They told me to take off the dozen or so keys I had on there (work, home, shed, etc). That fixed it. I had another two visits after that, one being for excessive brake sequel (they had a bulletin at that point for that) and I was told to get used to it. Since "it do what it do!" Another one after that was I for pop-ing noise. Turned out to be solenoids. Again was told "it do what it do!" Traded in the car for a Lancer at which point the old Camaro had 11k, but no serious issues than stuff above. Brake noise, loud solenoids.

Fast forward to 2014, I figured they got the kinks worked out. A whole new set of issues. I think it's more of a budget V6 sporty car issue. You get what you pay for. :frown:

Fire65 06-05-2014 10:29 PM

Boy am I glad I found this thread. I brought my 2011 V6 with 10800 miles to the dealer yesterday because of a squeal. I thought it might be the pulley. The tech wrote on the order that the squeal is "caused by aftermarket air intake causing crankcase pressure issues. Need to put back to factory will void warranty." Tomorrow I'll take a closer look at the ac belt. I've had a Vararam on it for a couple years without this issue.

respawn 06-09-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire65 (Post 7722459)
Boy am I glad I found this thread. I brought my 2011 V6 with 10800 miles to the dealer yesterday because of a squeal. I thought it might be the pulley. The tech wrote on the order that the squeal is "caused by aftermarket air intake causing crankcase pressure issues. Need to put back to factory will void warranty." Tomorrow I'll take a closer look at the ac belt. I've had a Vararam on it for a couple years without this issue.

I have the same whine/squeal. I have had it for the longest time, but it doesn't show up consistently. I took it to the dealer twice and both times they kept it all day and claimed to not hear it. Four years later (and no more warranty) I still have the sound, but it hasn't fallen apart on me so I live with it.

But what you said here may be the cause... I wonder how many of us with this sound have after market air intakes? I installed an Injen COI at 500 miles (currently at 36k). Sound showed up around 5k miles and off and on for 3-4 years.