Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What do you think a K&N Air Filter would do for L99? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9093)

Scott@Bjorn3D 10-30-2008 07:48 AM

What do you think a K&N Air Filter would do for L99?

So is it worth it to put a K&N air filter on the 2SS with Auto? Would I really gain anything or would it do more harm than good?

o2camaross 10-30-2008 07:53 AM

well the camaro comes with and L99, but yea it would help

mrpre10der 10-30-2008 07:58 AM

k&n filters are excellent

k&n filters give a little more horse power and a little better gas milage on pretty much every car . i would say it cant hurt . i have put them on all my cadillac escalades .and seen a differrance . my latest car i put a filter in was a 400hp 6.2l escalade and i do see a differance . it will proberly take some time for kn to make a filter for this car anyway. some times they my not just make the filter they will come out with a whole air filter system for a certain car

TomServo 10-30-2008 08:18 AM

Nada Zippo Nothing. A fellow Corvette buddy sold his LS2 vette for a Z06 and gave me two brand new K&N filters. So I dropped them in, with a week the car was running poorly and I had CEL. Took it to the dealer and they claimed they were "over oiled" and caused contamination of the MAFS.

They covered it under warranty but told me to remove them.

And just ask this question over on the Corvette Forum and you'll be told not to waste your $$$. There have been no proven HP/TQ gains reported on the LS2/LS3 by just changing air filters.

Please ask this question and see what thousands of Corvette owners have to say. Don't take my word on it.

karr1008 10-30-2008 08:25 AM

I have to agree with Tom. Absolutely nothing. Had it on my 96 Ram Air T/A and the only thing that this filter is good for is well, maybe not having a cheap paper one but besides that, it doesn't do anything.

kdbolt70 10-30-2008 08:36 AM

Its not so much about the filter, but rather where its located in the engine bay. If it is only sucking in hot air you'll see poorer performance, but if it is in a location where cold air can get to it you'll increase the performance. Cold air = good.

'70 RS 10-30-2008 08:42 AM

result-mass air flow sensor code

Dan 10-30-2008 08:43 AM

It most definitely does something. It may not be in the form of power gains but it will filter far smaller particles than a crappy paper filter and it never wears out. It flows more soaking wet than a paper filter will brand new. As for the oil, that was the fault of the person who oiled it, not the filters.

IROCZJEFF 10-30-2008 08:49 AM

You guys are all correct. I have had buddies that have over oiled the K&N filters and had terrible problems. The key is to NOT over flow the filter with oil!!! On the other hand if you do the complete K&N FIPK system you will be able to feel the power by the seat of your pants. On my 2006 Silverado SS I installed the FIPK system and could feel the power as soon as I installed it. The FIPK system is also much more agressive sound wise. The new Camaro has a sound branch comming off the factory air box so I will bet that when K&N does a system for the new Camaro that will not be there and the FIPK will be louders and give you more H.P. Jeff

TomServo 10-30-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 176265)
It most definitely does something. It may not be in the form of power gains but it will filter far smaller particles than a crappy paper filter and it never wears out. It flows more soaking wet than a paper filter will brand new. As for the oil, that was the fault of the person who oiled it, not the filters.

The filters were brand new still sealed in the factory plastic bags. They do nothing. Believe what you will but Corvette owners for years will say the same thing.

As I said don't take my word, get an account on the Corvette Forum and ask the same question. Then report back with the results.

Inspector 17 10-30-2008 09:03 AM

What about the air intake kit that is being offered as a dealer installed option on the Camaro? Thoughts on it?

CamaroSSforme 10-30-2008 09:03 AM

I have no idea what they do on cars, but I used them forever on my bikes and gained on average about 2-4hp depending on the bike. Dyno tested.

However, that really says nothing about what they would do on a Camaro...or Vette. Each car is different.

zebra 10-30-2008 09:15 AM

i looked at many filters for my GMC & went with AirAid because not only did it offer more power (dyno shown) but it was almost half the price. it definitely made a big difference. this is an open cone filter thought as opposed to a stock replacement filter.

GTAHVIT 10-30-2008 09:48 AM

Dont' over oil it. In fact barely put any on at all. DO NOT OIL THE INSIDE OF THE FILTER.

In a mostly stock motor you will feel the difference in throttle response.

In a modded motor it is a nice complement to exhaust mods. When combined you cant see noticeable power gains. I would recommend a shrouded setup that blocks out the hot air from the engine compartment.