Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Oil Pressure Gauge issue anyone?-2SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54533)

AngelPharmD 11-30-2009 11:15 PM

Oil Pressure Gauge issue anyone?-2SS

So it wasn't too long ago that I noticed that something might be wrong with the oil pressure gauge on my 2SS. I'm a very visual person and I would have thought I'd notice this already but I've had my car 3 months and I never did.

Normal oil pressure is supposed to be at 30 (mid level) am I right? As I accelerate, it goes all the way up to 50... at times to 60... and almost never to 70. After speeding up to the desired MPH, the pressure slowly returns to 50 or 40..... never back at mid level of 30, unless I'm completely stopped.

This may be normal and it may be something I never noticed until now but I just want to make sure that it's nothing to be concerned about or maybe a sensor may have given out. I know that having low oil pressure is worse but I just wasn't sure if this is normal.

For those of you that read this post, can you do me a favor. Next time you drive out in your Camaro, can you please let me know how your car oil pressure gauge moves and let me know. Thanks :)
:iono:

Scott@Bjorn3D 12-01-2009 05:06 AM

Normal.

And if it is cold outside oil pressure will be higher to oil heats up. In a really hot summer pressure might run a little lower than normal.

DangerZL1 12-01-2009 09:39 AM

I remember reading on the Mustang sites, when I drove one, that their oil pressure gauge isn't accurate and is nothing more than a glorified idiot light. The gauge in the Camaro sounds like it is working correctly and your pressure is registering the actual varying pressure.

Partick 12-01-2009 09:48 AM

Hmmmm... another great reason to go for a drive! Thanks:D

AngelPharmD 12-01-2009 09:56 PM

Thanks for the information guys. Now I can sleep lol. But I figured if something was wrong, a light would turn on to indicate to have it checked out.

Ntimad8rs 12-02-2009 07:49 AM

Oh Yeah....That is Normal!!!!

These new engines, kind of, have to have more pressure than the older engines. More pressure, more volume, and it provides for carrying more of the heat of friction away from the parts. Gone are the days of having the oil pressure stay at 20 - 30 all day long.

sixty9fordkiller 12-02-2009 08:48 PM

mine sets up camp at about 30 and pretty much does everything you say yours does (go up to 50 or 60 at times)

so i guess its normal

i have a 2005 tahoe and that one camps at 40 and goes up to 60-70ish too

so i guess its normal

AngelPharmD 12-02-2009 11:01 PM

well I just wanted to see what other Camaros were showing on their gauge. I didn't want to blow the engine or something lol. It makes sense that the oil pressure goes up as you accelerate but I wasn't sure if that was 100%. Thanks:)

Hey, sixty9fordkiller, probably heading up to Pasadena for National Championship...suggest any good party places for the LA nightlife?

sixty9fordkiller 12-04-2009 10:38 AM

yeah, i think texas is gonna take it all. Florida/Alabama havent been playing consistent all season (eventhough they've been winning their games) like texas has

try via sorisso in old town pasadena on Friday Nights

try vertigo's or Avalon in hollywood on Saturdays

and crazyhorse in west covina on Thursdays