Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Short Shifter and other MOD Reccommendations (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317714)

jleamosh 09-12-2013 07:05 AM

Short Shifter and other MOD Reccommendations

Hello everyone. I am a new Camaro owner. Just brought a 2010 Camaro SS. Amazing car like none I have ever owned. I am looking to make some modifications to my baby one of the first being a shorter shifter to reduce the throw. Also am looking for a Cold Air Intake that is street legal (CARB Certified) here in CA. I have seen lots but none that are legal. Any thoughts on exhaust systems? Currently looking at the Borla ATAK. Finally any other mods for performance or appearance would be greatly appericiated. Happy motoring everyone.

06_warrior 09-12-2013 07:09 AM

Go with a MGW shifter. I put one in my car and it works great. Way better than the stock shifter.

ABMLS3 09-12-2013 07:13 AM

I have the borla atak with long tube headers, I love it

Apex Motorsports 09-12-2013 07:17 AM

Look into getting a good catch can.

The "Catch Can" Explained!

The Borla ATAK is pretty popular but if you want something with a little more volume and a nice deeper muscle car tone you might want to consider the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 09-12-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleamosh (Post 6995846)
Hello everyone. I am a new Camaro owner. Just brought a 2010 Camaro SS. Amazing car like none I have ever owned. I am looking to make some modifications to my baby one of the first being a shorter shifter to reduce the throw. Also am looking for a Cold Air Intake that is street legal (CARB Certified) here in CA. I have seen lots but none that are legal. Any thoughts on exhaust systems? Currently looking at the Borla ATAK. Finally any other mods for performance or appearance would be greatly appericiated. Happy motoring everyone.

Hello jleamosh,

Congrats on your SS! How's it treating you?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Mikamaro 09-12-2013 06:48 PM

Zl1 shifter is perfect.

christianchevell 09-12-2013 06:52 PM

the HUD would be nice and finding out to do it on the diy gen 5 Camaro site, also cross wiring the drl's to be fogs. And Led lights for the drls you should check with apex, or go to automotivelightstore.com Do not know why the CAI intake would be so discouraged.... I love my CAI intake.

chevy 3 09-12-2013 06:54 PM

CIA for the intake and check out the Barton shifter. Barton has a ton of dif handles also. I'd do a catch can also.some don't believe in them but I've empty mine every oil change and get oil every time.

CamaroJoe96 09-12-2013 09:05 PM

I'm happy with my Hurst short throw, which I believe is the cheapest on the market. Extremely easy to install, even if you're not mechanically inclined like myself! A catch can is a great idea, however, stay away from the RX brand, unless you buy from a private party. I have heard MANY great things about the elite catch can, just contact Apex Chase who commented above, and he'll hook you up! Have fun my brother! :thumbsup:

436SS 09-26-2013 03:35 PM

The Borla ATAK is pretty popular but if you want something with a little more volume and a nice deeper muscle car tone you might want to consider the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Chase, would that set up be obnoxiously loud with a CAI intake?

Z28COP 09-26-2013 05:00 PM

I have a brand new ZL1 shifter never used, and a factory Hurst I just took out with only 3600 miles on it and perfect. Both for sale. pm me, I can send pics. The ZL1 one is listed in the Classifieds.

JDP Sales 09-26-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleamosh (Post 6995846)

As of now, I don't think there are any intake system on the market that are CARB legal. Most will just swap theirs out when it comes time for inspection.

A catch can is definitely one of the first things I'd recommend doing. After that, it's up to you.

As for exhaust, I suggest either the SW Retro, or one of the Magnaflow Comp series.

As far as other mods, the VMAX Throttle body is a good bang for the buck.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Sugarfree135 09-26-2013 05:57 PM

Do not buy a vmax throttle body and especially not from jdp! I tried to return mine because it made no difference (not even in throttle response) and I got the run around 😐 I'd say the best mods I made were the skip shift eliminator, and lt headers. Car sounds like it should now and has a little more top end 😁 I do love my short throw as it got rid of the softball size stock shifter that felt like crap lol

ABMLS3 09-26-2013 07:48 PM

i just installed my hurst short shift today and i love it. its crazy howmuch shorter it is i didnt think it would be that much of a idfference. i also have the ATAK and i also love that, now i also have long tube headers to go with it.