Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Change the Gauge Cluster Color??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38345)

rharon 08-20-2009 11:27 AM

Change the Gauge Cluster Color???

Does anyone know how to change the guage cluster color? I am talking about the rings, my color is blue and li love the orange. I looked behind the guage pack and the rings are lit from a plastic mirror piece. The leds look like they can be programmed to change color......

Any help?

Sir Nuke 08-20-2009 12:37 PM

well considering if you get the IOM interior package the gauges do what you want. SO you shoulod be able to get the factory pieces you need to make the change.

rharon 08-24-2009 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There has to be a way to change the color. Does anyone know a tech that pdi's the cars? It might be an option because it doesnt look like these leds are different colors.....

Anyone?

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-24-2009 06:35 PM

I do not think you can do it that way, I have some flat LED's and you can not tell them apart by looking at them.

skuttduck 08-24-2009 08:03 PM

I'm thinking you may have to buy yourself some LED's and desolder them.

I was actually amazed at looking at the DIY forums for my current car on toyotanation. Someone did a desoldering job on their factory stereo and changed the green LED's to orange.

I'll post the URL here as it may give you an idea. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t97347.html

SummoneR 08-26-2009 12:00 AM

This is correct you have to unsolder the LED and solder on new blue ones. Although some areas are the color they are because of the color of the plastic in front of them. Once I get my Camaro I was planning on doing this mod.

joerod97 08-26-2009 01:59 AM

congrats on the vin. Sept 10 is just around the corner!!!

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-26-2009 08:01 AM

Hi "rharon" If you want this is the part # 92242409 for a My orange gauge cluster like you asked, As for the cad thing i ordered the part we will see next week.

jxmot 09-01-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharon (Post 821943)
Does anyone know how to change the guage cluster color? I am talking about the rings, my color is blue and li love the orange. I looked behind the guage pack and the rings are lit from a plastic mirror piece. The leds look like they can be programmed to change color......

Any help?

LEDs that can change color typically have more than 2 electrical connections. For RGB (red, green, and blue) LEDs there are 4. One each for the colors and one "common" lead. The different colors are achieved by varying the voltage on the RGB leads. The LEDs on the circuit board in the picture aren't clear enough to tell if they've got more than 2 leads. However, even if they did have more than 2 the extra leads might be there for securely attaching them to the circuit board. A schematic of that board would be helpful in determining the type of LED.

BigBOSS 09-01-2009 09:13 AM

They look like SMDs to me.

jxmot 09-01-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBOSS (Post 870219)
They look like SMDs to me.

Yep, they are. It would take a steady hand, a magnifier and good soldering equipment to change them. It would be risky.

SummoneR 09-02-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jxmot (Post 870234)
Yep, they are. It would take a steady hand, a magnifier and good soldering equipment to change them. It would be risky.

That's for sure!
I have yet decided if I really want to attempt this or not... I really like the way it looks factory. Plus I may not be able to get the Radar detector I want in Blue, unless they release a blue one like they did of the current one I have... that just broke...

It would look nice though all blue.

jxmot 09-02-2009 11:44 AM

@rharon or anyone else who has removed the circuit board.....

By any chance is there any manufacturer name or info on the board? It would be either (or both) silkscreened onto the board or printed in copper (looks shiny green) when the board was made. This info can be found on either side, usually near an edge.

thanks!

rharon 09-02-2009 01:47 PM

I did not notice when it was apart....if i remove it again i will check