Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Anyone get the Hurst short throw shifter? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36748)

mslone 08-10-2009 07:45 PM

Anyone get the Hurst short throw shifter?

Hey guys,

I was at the dealership going over options and they had a book there and it had a Hurst Short throw shifter... Does anyone have this? Pics...Please... Do you like it? any issues... Do your remember what the option price was..?

Finally was it a dealer installed option? I need to decide in the next day...

Thanks!:thumbsup:

jpsuperman81 08-10-2009 08:18 PM

It was suppose to be an option and it got delayed. It was suppose to be dealer installed, hurst and gm couldn't get them done in time or something to that effect. Then there was talks of making if factory option since there was so much demand. None of this has been accomplised yet. I originally had it and it was between $400 and $500, but i dropped it so my order would go through like everyone else. The GM hurst option is still not available, HURST themselves will be realeasing their aftermarket version sometime in the near future and it is cheaper and a shorter throw then the gm/hurst option was going to be. I think that covers everything.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 08-10-2009 08:20 PM

I've seen it. It's F-ing cool, but it's still not available through the dealer AFAIK. The one I saw Saturday was obtained directly from Hurst and is probably one of only a very few installed.

John B

Banshee 08-10-2009 09:54 PM

Talk to 2SSRS..he has one installed in his Camaro.. I ordered mine..Check out the link.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32963

Mod007 08-10-2009 09:58 PM

Looks like a white poll ball to me, Im not paying $400+ for it:yikes: but if you like it thats all that matters...:thumbsup:

RAdams 08-10-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mod007 (Post 784089)
Looks like a white poll ball to me, Im not paying $400+ for it:yikes: but if you like it thats all that matters...:thumbsup:

I don't think the white cue ball (or black 8-ball) shift knobs are very attractive compared to the standard factory style. But, the important part is the operation.

If the difference is as extreme as the factory vs. Hurst shifters in the 4th gen (which I doubt), I highly recommend it. The Hurst in the 4th gen was so wonderfully precise and silky smooth it made the standard factory shifter seem like a cheap, clunky, sloppy mess. It made the experience more like driving a sports car (of all things) instead of a tractor. I don't really care about any performance improvement, a high quality, short-throw simply makes for a more comfortable and enjoyable daily driver.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-10-2009 10:44 PM

For the last time the shifter comes with a 2nd upper 1/2 of the shifter so you can run standard factory style ball.

subzero05 08-13-2009 10:05 AM

the Hurst afterarket unit is 44% shorter than factory approx.. The GM/Hurst unit is NOW back online and avail for sale thru GM dealers or vehicle ordering and is approx 25% shorter than stock...Just FYI

OSU Cowboy 08-14-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 784323)
For the last time the shifter comes with a 2nd upper 1/2 of the shifter so you can run standard factory style ball.

Where do you get your information from? I've looked on their web site and they make no mention of this.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-14-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Cowboy (Post 797670)
Where do you get your information from? I've looked on their web site and they make no mention of this.

I have noting to do all day so i make up story's to make my self fell good. LMAO:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

This is from the order thread
Quote:

The flyer I got from Hurst says
1)Provides shorter and quicker shifts by reducing knob travel 44%
2)Custom dedicated fit eliminates any vehichle modifications for ease of
installation
3)Comes with your choice of classic flat Hurst stick and knob or accepts stock Camaro shift knob and boot for factory appearance
4)CNC machined 6061 T-6 billet aluminum mounting base and billet steel gear selector for ultimate strength and reliability
5)Smooth operating teflon lined spherical main pivot bearing for crisp precise shifts
6)Standard Hurst two-piece stick design allows any combination of Hurst stick and/or knob combinations
7)Comprehensive, simple to follow and understand installation instructions

As soon as it is available I will contact each of you. Thanks to everyone and look forward to helping out in making your new Camaro faster than anyone elses!!!!
www.tcspeedcustom.com
772-463-1717
nick@tcspeedcustom.com
And i am the guy that Hurst did the test fit on and told the guys that it needs to come with the choice of the two as i think that for me i want the factory appearance.

OSU Cowboy 08-14-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 798194)
I have noting to do all day so i make up story's to make my self fell good. LMAO:happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

This is from the order thread

And i am the guy that Hurst did the test fit on and told the guys that it needs to come with the choice of the two as i think that for me i want the factory appearance.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. :wave:

Van 08-14-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzero05 (Post 793919)
the Hurst afterarket unit is 44% shorter than factory approx.. The GM/Hurst unit is NOW back online and avail for sale thru GM dealers or vehicle ordering and is approx 25% shorter than stock...Just FYI

R U sure on this?! So if I call my dealer and tell them to augment my order to add the Hurst shifter they'd be able to do it?

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-14-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Cowboy (Post 798936)
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. :wave:

This is the e-mail i got today from the engineer at hurst.

Quote:

Hi Ofer,

The OEM top stick adapter for your Hurst shifter has been sent out to you today. You should be seeing it in a few days.

Kenji