Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Twin supers? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127280)

Guardian1816 02-02-2011 03:21 PM

Twin supers?

I was talking to a buddy about installing twin turbos on my camaro and among his rants about upgrading a V6 to begin with he hypocritically added that if anything I needed to install twin superchargers on it instead. Call me new, but even though it didnt sound right for some reason, I suppose its feasible to do if someone really wanted to.

However, no site ive been to advertises them or even a search on google doesnt come back with a single hit.

My question is this. Does it even exist?

GretchenGotGrowl 02-02-2011 03:28 PM

Sounds like he thinks twin turbos sound rediculous and threw that out like "if one Pacific island is good, why not two?"

Take a look at the V6 FI section to get a good idea of what people are doing.

rhd 02-02-2011 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can do it but its stupid and there is no point

GretchenGotGrowl 02-02-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd (Post 2796173)

They look freaky mean though don't they? Just can't see doing it on these LLTs, what with the custom manifold, belts, pulleys... Much cheaper to go the turbo route IMHO!

Demon Hunter 02-02-2011 05:38 PM

Seems like you'd have a huge parasitic lose running twin superchargers, that much more being sapped out on the drive belt.

jagan323 02-02-2011 06:03 PM

lol... and plus Turbos are more economical, ratio to power. And turbos have broader power band ranges. Single SC would be nice... just for the sake of SC =p

Or, do what the GT500's do... Twin turbo supercharged LOL

zebra 02-02-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

no... there is a point. the "different" factor and the extra boost you get out of it. the blowers stay cooler when they don't have to work as hard, so for a high-boost application for OMGWTFROFLMAOBBQ power, yeah, it's a viable option. the most popular vehicles like this are that Challenger, a Lightning, and an Avalanche with a 540BB :D there's also plenty of twin-blower setups for marine engines

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 2796312)
They look freaky mean though don't they? Just can't see doing it on these LLTs, what with the custom manifold, belts, pulleys... Much cheaper to go the turbo route IMHO!

yeah. it's crazy expensive for the custom fabrication involved and personally, i wouldn't say it's worth it for the LLT. go twin turbo :thumbsup:

orange-prince 02-02-2011 07:24 PM

you can see it here but really what's the point !!!
http://www.superchargerkits.org/twin...ed-challenger/

DGthe3 02-03-2011 01:22 AM

There are also some who have gone with 2 stages of superchargers, where the first feeds the second, which ups the boost and feeds the engine. I'm not sure if they are more or less common than the 'side by side' type of configuration, since both are pretty rare.

2 superchargers usually aren't the most economical way to get power, but they certainly look impressive. And if anyone does it, they'd probably be the only person in the world with a twin supercharged V6 Camaro.

Wilburbeest 02-03-2011 03:27 AM

Twin superchargers are sort of in the same category as twin charging (supercharger AND turbo). Its a cool idea and it has been experimented with a bit, but it doesn't really make sense for anything but a show car where you just want something different for the hell of it. The reason for twin turbos is to prevent lag, or at least any significant amount. There is no such thing as lag with a supercharger so (probably) all you would end up with is increased parasitic loss over a single larger unit like somebody already said above.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-03-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilburbeest (Post 2798111)
Twin superchargers are sort of in the same category as twin charging (supercharger AND turbo). Its a cool idea and it has been experimented with a bit, but it doesn't really make sense for anything but a show car where you just want something different for the hell of it. The reason for twin turbos is to prevent lag, or at least any significant amount. There is no such thing as lag with a supercharger so (probably) all you would end up with is increased parasitic loss over a single larger unit like somebody already said above.

Couple of other reasons you might consider twin turbos. Sized properly they can result in more air flow (g/s) with the same psi as a single. Lower pressure means lower temps. Greater air flow means more power if you have the fuel to get proper AFR. Twins also allow you to get more total power if you are willing to build the engine. Two turbos running 20 psi will pump much more air than 1 at 20 psi. But mostly it is because they look cool!:thumbsup:

Epitaph 02-03-2011 07:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JQps...ailpage#t=170s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOey7...eature=related

Wilburbeest 02-03-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 2798271)
Couple of other reasons you might consider twin turbos. Sized properly they can result in more air flow (g/s) with the same psi as a single. Lower pressure means lower temps. Greater air flow means more power if you have the fuel to get proper AFR. Twins also allow you to get more total power if you are willing to build the engine. Two turbos running 20 psi will pump much more air than 1 at 20 psi. But mostly it is because they look cool!:thumbsup:

Makes good sense. didn't think of that:thumbsup:

06blownSS 02-03-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

a picture of an engine with 2 superchargers sitting on top never gets old. I have a picture on my home computer of a 1970ish vette with 2 blowers sticking through the hood. So badass.