Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Spoiled by SS Brembos and stock suspension (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370152)

intensifi 07-24-2014 10:12 AM

Spoiled by SS Brembos and stock suspension

I really enjoy the feel and responsiveness of the car when maneuvering at speed and braking. I have thought about the 1LE upgrade kit and may do it at some point.

However here is the problem I now face. Driving my wife's Lexus 400H at speed is now a somewhat scary experience. If I get that car above 65, lane changes and wide turns are frightening. It's just so loose and the brakes feel like they take forever to engage. The mechanic says everything is fine with it though. I was driving to Tahoe on 80 a couple weeks back. On that final downhill stretch I had to keep it around 60 to be comfortable in the turns which wasn't easy with those lame brakes.

Maybe I'll have to find our family another SUV that handles/brakes better. For now I just not driving it much on the freeways.

Dexman1349 07-24-2014 10:50 AM

Higher center of mass, less tuned for performance, larger sidewalls and smaller contact area on the tires. It's no wonder the Lexus handles like crap when compared to the SS.

The real challenge should be trying to figure out how to put the 1LE package on the Lexus...

NotYetLegend 07-26-2014 11:00 AM

I hear ya man. I drive my gf's 2006 g35 sedan all the time and the lack of body control is scary on the highway, the wind blows the thing all over the road! The brakes are complete garbage too... All that said the low speed handling of the g35 is roughly 3000% better than the SS haha. The SS feels like a German car to me, it's so solid and strong, you get used to that and Japanese cars just don't feel "safe" anymore.

KaBoom1701 07-26-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intensifi (Post 7841231)
I really enjoy the feel and responsiveness of the car when maneuvering at speed and braking. I have thought about the 1LE upgrade kit and may do it at some point.

However here is the problem I now face, driving my wife's Lexus 400H at speed is now a somewhat scary experience. If I get that car above 65, lane changes and wide turns are frightening. It's just so loose and the brakes feel like they take forever to engage. The mechanic says everything is fine with it though. I was driving to Tahoe on 80 a couple weeks back. On that final downhill stretch I had to keep it around 60 to be comfortable in the turns which wasn't easy with those lame brakes.

Maybe I'll have to find our family another SUV that handles/brakes better. For now I just not driving it much on the freeways.

LOL, I know what you mean. I just traded the wife's min-van in for a 14' Traverse and It rides better but the brakes a soft. Since you helped me with my SS Brembo upgrade I've been spoiled too.

Just FYI...I just received all my LE parts and I'll be doing this upgrade within the next two weeks. So I can give you some feedback afterwards if you want.

NotYetLegend 07-26-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7846028)
LOL, I know what you mean. I just traded the wife's min-van in for a 14' Traverse and It rides better but the brakes a soft. Since you helped me with my SS Brembo upgrade I've been spoiled too.

Just FYI...I just received all my LE parts and I'll be doing this upgrade within the next two weeks. So I can give you some feedback afterwards if you want.

SS brakes and 1LE suspension on an LT is going to handle awesome! Thing would kill an autocross course! Best of luck w the upgrades

intensifi 07-26-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7846028)

Thanks and absolutely yes on the 1LE suspension upgrade info!

Justicepete said somewhere on here to only install the 1LE front sway bar if you go with a square wheel setup.

KaBoom1701 07-27-2014 10:34 AM

I have an offset set up...same as the ZL1 I believe. But someone would have to confirm that. 285 up front with 305 in the back

See info listed below.

grocerygetter 07-27-2014 04:16 PM

Get used to driving a camaro then jump in a vette. Will totally give you perspective of how much faster a car can be with a driver-mod.