Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Ready to get the flame suit on... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221919)

Vette TPI 05-06-2012 08:48 PM

Ready to get the flame suit on...

Hey all ZL1 members, curious why everyone is getting a radar detector in their car. Sure it might be worth it if you speed/race on the street that often. But is it that worth it to wreck you baby, and put others and yourself in danger? You guys have track times that back up how fast this ZL1 is, what makes it necessary to go prove it to the guy who has a itchy foot.

Go ahead and debate and hate me, I just don't see the point in money for a valentine, etc. When you can put that money on mods to go make some self records. :chevy:

OldScoolCamaro 05-06-2012 08:52 PM

LOL...not very often we get hacked up by a "Vette guy....just saying, :D, but it's all good mate...carry on. ;)

Vette TPI 05-06-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 4921454)
LOL...not very often we get hacked up by a "Vette guy....just saying, :D, but it's all good mate...carry on. ;)

haha I'm just a :chevy: guy, I know I can't compete with all the 350/370z, etc. so I leave everyone be.

SlingShot 05-06-2012 09:00 PM

Not everyone, I've never owned a radar detector in my life ...

motorhead 05-06-2012 09:05 PM

I have to agree with the OP. Take it to the track if you get the urge. I've never owned or will I ever own a radar detector.

OldScoolCamaro 05-06-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette TPI (Post 4921464)
haha I'm just a :chevy: guy, I know I can't compete with all the 350/370z, etc. so I leave everyone be.

:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 4921486)
Not everyone, I've never owned a radar detector in my life ...

..neither have I SS...:)

Man1acs 05-06-2012 09:06 PM

Street and track are 2 different types of fun.

IOMZL1 05-06-2012 09:07 PM

The vehicle has less to do with the need for a radar detector than the driver.

tfghung 05-06-2012 09:13 PM

I find that a radar detector keeps me in line. I have not had a ticket (other than parking) or an at-fault accident and I hope to keep it that way. To me it's just another way for my brain to understand that I need to keep my cool when I am driving my speed machine. I find the beeping of it annoying and that is a good thing.

Rhyder 05-06-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette TPI (Post 4921437)
Hey all ZL1 members, curious why everyone is getting a radar detector in their car. Sure it might be worth it if you speed/race on the street that often. But is it that worth it to wreck you baby, and put others and yourself in danger? You guys have track times that back up how fast this ZL1 is, what makes it necessary to go prove it to the guy who has a itchy foot.

Go ahead and debate and hate me, I just don't see the point in money for a valentine, etc. When you can put that money on mods to go make some self records. :chevy:

Im not sure if you think everyone is trying to go 200mph on the street or what, but I do tend to drive faster than the posted limits, I never drive to fast for conditions or control, but I tend to drive 5-10 mph over the limit on interstates and hwys. Doesnt mean im opening up my car to see just how fast it will go when I go to the grocery store.

And depending on mood, quota etc, the cops will pull you over for 5 to 10 over, the last ticket I got for 11 over was $280, and I think they went easy on me. (over 20 years driving and Ive gotten 3 tickets)

so if you tend to hedge the posted limit, the detector can pay for itself if it warns you once before you see the cop.

The Stig 05-06-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette TPI (Post 4921437)

Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.

hairtrigger 05-06-2012 09:16 PM

You can cruise slow and carry a big stick AND own a V1 at the same time. I do. The cops hide themselves in the most easily ticketed places and offer citations for rediculus curcumstances. It's all about the money.
Protect yourself but be responsible and don't drive in anger or danger of anyone.

99firehawk 05-06-2012 09:17 PM

It all depends on how hard and quick you press the skinny pedal.

CAM....ZL1 05-06-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 4921579)
Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.

+1