Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Auto vs Manual V6 Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9591)

Evilangel 11-12-2008 11:24 PM

Auto vs Manual V6 Camaro

Hi I wanted your opinion on which will be quicker in the 1/4 mile, the Manual or Auto v6 camaro. I know the manual will have LSD, but won't we be able to put a high stall converter in the Auto???

SS4EVER 11-13-2008 09:03 AM

My guess is that it will be the manual.

Justcallme61 11-13-2008 09:47 AM

In the case that you are a VERY good driver, I would say manual will be a tad faster. Although, I can see the auto being faster for an average driver.

But that's just me, I could be completely wrong.

Evilangel 11-13-2008 08:27 PM

thanks. Anyone else???

Geno 11-22-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilangel (Post 189426)
Hi I wanted your opinion on which will be quicker in the 1/4 mile, the Manual or Auto v6 camaro. I know the manual will have LSD, but won't we be able to put a high stall converter in the Auto???

Seems the new 6 speed auto is very good!!!

Dom 11-23-2008 10:44 AM

There is no way you can put a high stall verter into a car with no LSD. First mod you have to do is swap a LSD in there. You will need to swap an entire housing over since the one without LSD is supposedly smaller. I'm not surprised GM is going under with these genius decisions they make.

Geno 11-23-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom (Post 198978)
There is no way you can put a high stall verter into a car with no LSD. First mod you have to do is swap a LSD in there. You will need to swap an entire housing over since the one without LSD is supposedly smaller. I'm not surprised GM is going under with these genius decisions they make.

Kinda goes with the RS package and even if you live in Alaska you got no choice but summer tires. Take it or leave it.

GamerGuyZ28 11-23-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justcallme61 (Post 189624)
In the case that you are a VERY good driver, I would say manual will be a tad faster. Although, I can see the auto being faster for an average driver.

But that's just me, I could be completely wrong.

totally agree, unless you're really good with a stick, considering how hard GM worked to match these cars evenly the auto will take it in the 1/4 it comes to reaction and how quick you can snatch gears.

Patrick 12-09-2008 10:13 PM

I am newbie so what does lSD mean ?

TheClassicCarKid 12-09-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 213469)
I am newbie so what does lSD mean ?

Limited Slip Differential. Equal power to both wheels at all times.
If you want to read more about it here's a link that explains it: http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kb.php?aid=154

fierodeletre 12-13-2008 09:15 AM

Limited Slip Differential, yes. Equal power to both wheels at all times? No. "Nearly" equal. If it was equal power at all times, it would be a solid rear axle and would chirp badly in close quarter turns like an old 4X4 with a solid transfer case. Limited means it aims to mitigate the inequality of power between the rear wheels, not eliminate it. Otherwise it would be a Non-slip, non-differential, since that's what a differential is for.

For the newbie, the reason a differential is needed is because any time a car turns, the outside wheels travel a greater distance than the inside wheels. If this difference is not rectified mechanically, stress on the driveline will be encountered and will either most likely find its relief through tire drag or in extreme cases, mechanical failure of driveline pieces.

fierodeletre 12-13-2008 09:20 AM

Also- as for the original topic, take into account the big differences in drive ratios between the auto and manual LLT cars. The auto has a really long final drive, making me think that GM engineers were motivated to make the auto match the manual in MPG over 1/4 mile times. I wouldn't be surprised if the manual is quicker by a car length in the quarter. True the auto shifts quicker and all other factors equal would be faster, but the ratio factor isn't even close, let alone equal. The manual V6 car has the deepest 1st gear ratio of all available configurations and the shortest final drive ratio in 6th gear. Food for thought, we won't know until we know.

Flighttester 12-21-2008 08:34 PM

The answer is simple for me.

I wouldn't want the car without that six-speed manual gearbox.

No fun at all without it.

The car is about fun.

Matrix 12-28-2008 12:22 AM

You can always play with the tapshift. I want/need the auto for simplicity as it will be a daily driver and dare I say it, will be on the phone occasionally.
Performance wise I think they both will be about the same but with an exceptional driver I think the manual will come out on top. For regular drivers I think the auto will beat the manual by a hair!