Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   3M DIY paint protection film (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294291)

MotorCity 05-08-2013 05:48 PM

3M DIY paint protection film

just came across this 3M product online. Looks very self explanatory and an incredible alternative to getting a clear bra professionally applied. Has anyone used this product yet? if so, how well does it work on vertical surfaces such as bumpers and quarter panels? check out the link I posted below to watch their demonstration video. Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4

ec1990 05-08-2013 05:52 PM

I'd be wary. Too easy to make it too thick/thin, miss areas. It would be horrible for it to dry splotchy because of its aerosol form. But who knows, could end up being an we some product.

MotorCity 05-08-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6520361)
I'd be wary. Too easy to make it too thick/thin, miss areas. It would be horrible for it to dry splotchy because of its aerosol form. But who knows, could end up being an we some product.

yea I was worried about that too... either way, it's suppose to come off relatively easy, such as plastidip. My buddy is going to try it out this weekend and let me know how it works for him :w00t:

CamaroDreams07 05-08-2013 06:28 PM

That looks awesome. Please keep me posted.

Chevyman2 05-08-2013 06:38 PM

Like! Been waiting for product like this.

bluBlud 05-08-2013 07:21 PM

Checked this out on Amazon, $25/can + $8 for the nozzle and $12 for the application kit (plastic dropcloth and tape...). It also shows how many cans are needed to cover different areas (e.g. 2 for the entire hood). Claimed coverage is 1 year so it'll add up year after year but it's still much cheaper than film. Looks like pretty neat stuff.

joeybsyc 05-08-2013 07:57 PM

Any info on if it can be safely/easily removed?

ec1990 05-08-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeybsyc (Post 6520926)
Any info on if it can be safely/easily removed?

They said it can be pulled off.

I think I may pick it up in a week or two specifically for my side mirrors and rocker panels. My side mirrors clear bra is showing due to poor installation. And the rocker panels just carry so much dirt that clay even has a tough time removing, so I'm hoping you can easily remove dirt from this.

How far does one can go?

joeybsyc 05-08-2013 08:25 PM

Cool, please let me know how it works. I have Xpel Ultimate on my Camaro with no complaints, but I just had the front bumper and hood painted on my daily driver due to an accident, and if this stull will keep the new paint nice for awhile I may just invest in it.

MotorCity 05-08-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6521034)
They said it can be pulled off.

I think I may pick it up in a week or two specifically for my side mirrors and rocker panels. My side mirrors clear bra is showing due to poor installation. And the rocker panels just carry so much dirt that clay even has a tough time removing, so I'm hoping you can easily remove dirt from this.

How far does one can go?

not entirely sure, but I would assume an entire bumper.

MotorCity 05-08-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeybsyc (Post 6521046)
Cool, please let me know how it works. I have Xpel Ultimate on my Camaro with no complaints, but I just had the front bumper and hood painted on my daily driver due to an accident, and if this stull will keep the new paint nice for awhile I may just invest in it.

yea if the finish is as nice as 3M claims, it would be worth doing it this way. getting clear bra put on professionally using plastic sheets costs a ton and only lasts 2-3 years. After that time, clear bras start yellowing and looking pretty nasty...

ec1990 05-08-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeybsyc (Post 6521046)

Definitely after looking it, it can't hurt to at least try on the rocker panels. I also have an Xpel on the front bumper which works great, except the bra was cut by something. But along the door jambs it shows and the mirrors could use it. Worst case I tear it off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorCity (Post 6521376)
yea if the finish is as nice as 3M claims, it would be worth doing it this way. getting clear bra put on professionally using plastic sheets costs a ton and only lasts 2-3 years. After that time, clear bras start yellowing and looking pretty nasty...

The cheap ones will be like that, higher end 3M bras and Xpel will last 5-10 years + and guaranteed to not yellow, it all depends on the installer. As well as quality of the material, same as tinting you can go cheap and see it purple and bubble in 5 years or get legitimate tint that will last 10+ years without bubbles or fading.

Dizzy82 05-10-2013 12:09 AM

The protection of a clear bar, the application process like plasti-dip. Whats not to love?

joeybsyc 05-15-2013 09:21 PM

Any updates on this?