Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Cost of a Tune? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45338)

Tanner 10-01-2009 07:15 PM

Cost of a Tune?

I have everything I'm going to do to my Camaro now. I put the Borla's on and the Roto-fab CAI. I just got the American Racing Long Tubes with cats and X-Pipe. I just talked to a guy in Phoeinix that would install the headers for $350 and do a tune for $600. Does this sound in line? I was thinking about getting the Vector Motorsports PowerFlash Tuner or Diablosport Predator or Trinity Programmers. The Powerflash is $599 right now. The Predator is $369. The Trinity is $599.

I'm a novice at tuning and see that these look simple enough. Would I need another tune down the road just to make sure everthing is still tuned properly. If that's the case I guess buying one the units and doing it on my own would be better. Are the shop tunes any better than one of these units you can buy?

toehead93 10-01-2009 07:27 PM

That seems high for a tune but good for the install.

Tanner 10-01-2009 07:48 PM

That's funny because he said he was giving Camaro people a special on the tune.

domano 68 10-01-2009 08:02 PM

Sounds like the Diablo Predator would be a better deal than the Vector tune since with the Diablo you get the handheld device plus a tune compared to Vector's tune with just a cable plus another $230. I'd like to understand the differences and which would be a better buy.

POWERFREAK 10-01-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domano 68 (Post 994210)
Sounds like the Diablo Predator would be a better deal than the Vector tune since with the Diablo you get the handheld device plus a tune compared to Vector's tune with just a cable plus another $230. I'd like to understand the differences and which would be a better buy.

IMO, You'll probably get more gains out of Vector's tune though.

$600 is a little high for a tune...maybe it includes thermostat install?

Tanner 10-01-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK (Post 994224)
IMO, You'll probably get more gains out of Vector's tune though.

$600 is a little high for a tune...maybe it includes thermostat install?

I do like the Vector myself. I'll call and ask if the local tune included a thermostat install. Why would you need a thermostat install? Thanks for the heads up!

POWERFREAK 10-01-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanner (Post 994352)
I do like the Vector myself. I'll call and ask if the local tune included a thermostat install. Why would you need a thermostat install? Thanks for the heads up!

not required, but lower temps means the tune can be a little more aggressive...it's probably a good idea since your in Arizona.

04ssSilverado 10-01-2009 08:52 PM

no handhelds! beware. find a good tuner/shop.my .02.

jhmurphy 10-02-2009 05:03 AM

Does this tune include dyno time? or is it just a street tune? This is where i got my street tune. Just to give you an idea of cost.
http://www.fasterproms.net/services.html

I guess it is all in what the tuner is providing you.

I watched over Jeremey's sholder as he worked through the different sections of the Transmission and engine and new it was not a place a novice should be playing around in. Getting a custom tune by someone who knows what they are doing is only way to go on these cars IMO.

zebra 10-02-2009 05:19 AM

please pass in the handhelds & get a custom tune. if it's something you're looking to learn to do yourself, get something like EFILive or HPTuners, but i would recommend having a pro work on your car at first. a dyno or street tune will be your most aggressive options

Steve@Vectormotorsports 10-02-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanner (Post 994352)

All of our tunes are developed in house for your specific combination. Handheld programmers don't offer specific tunes for every combo. If there were any problems we would be able to adjust it for you using our scanner that comes with the cable.

And as always updates are always free:thumbsup:

BigFish 10-02-2009 08:42 AM

Take it to GM 2 Hours $90.00 a hour

POWERFREAK 10-02-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 995787)

your gonna have a dealer do a dyno tune? :sm0: :yikes:

Silver Ice Man 10-02-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 995787)

Half the GM dealers up here in Alberta Canada don't even know what a dyno is.

They thought it was something a woman went to see a doctor for:sm0:

Most likely going to be Vector motor sports for me, just waiting for the funds to pool up a little bit more.