Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish not all it's cracked up to be (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255243)

chappy48 10-12-2012 09:07 PM

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish not all it's cracked up to be

I will start out this review by saying that I am by no means an expert in the finer details of polishing. I've only been serious about detailing my car for about the last 3 months. I've read and watched many different reviews and videos of various products and techniques to learn the best way to take care of my baby. Junkman, Todd at Autopia, and various others have answered my questions and helped me refine my technique.

I started out with M105 and M205 because I had heard such great reviews about these products. I bought the Meguiars DA polisher and numerous LC pads. Using M105 and M205 I achieved a shine I didn't expect. I was surprised at how easy it was (being skeptical of taking a machine to my car) to use and remove. But like many beginning detailers I wanted the BEST shine possile. I searched for the BEST possible products. I have had great results using M205 as my final product before sealant/wax application, but going off of Todd's advice I purchased Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish as the last final wax prep polish. Let me just say...big mistake.

As I've said before, I am no expert, but I know what good paint looks like. I know what a swirl is and how to remove it. GEP was supposed to be the last final step, a non abbrasive polish to help maximize the effect of BFWD sealant. After using it, I can't see how anyone would recommend this polish as a "pre-wax" polish. I did a test, using Blackfire GEP and Meguiars M205 side by side to see the results. I was suprised to say the least. M205 left the amazing finish we all expect. GEP left a paint surface riddled with thousands of microswirls, acting almost like an aggressive compound. What really confused me was that I used the same technique and same cut pads (white and blue LC pads) to test this out. Consistently M205 beat GEP HANDS DOWN. Not even close. How a "non-abrasive" polish combined with a finishing pad leaves thousands of micro-swirls is beyond me. But it did. In case people belive I'm joking and can't possibly be serious, I have included a photo. On the right is M205 and on the left is Blackfire GEP. Using the same technique and the same pads. The only difference is the product. I will let you determine which you think is better and let you come to your own conclusion. As for me...I won't let GEP near my car ever again. I love BFWD and Midnight Sun Wax. But their GEP is garbage in my opinion. Anyone have similar stories?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscb56a2ee.jpg

Kiss My SS 10-12-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappy48 (Post 5687520)
I will start out this review by saying that I am by no means an expert in the finer details of polishing. I've only been serious about detailing my car for about the last 3 months. I've read and watched many different reviews and videos of various products and techniques to learn the best way to take care of my baby. Junkman, Todd at Autopia, and various others have answered my questions and helped me refine my technique.

I started out with M105 and M205 because I had heard such great reviews about these products. I bought the Meguiars DA polisher and numerous LC pads. Using M105 and M205 I achieved a shine I didn't expect. I was surprised at how easy it was (being skeptical of taking a machine to my car) to use and remove. But like many beginning detailers I wanted the BEST shine possile. I searched for the BEST possible products. I have had great results using M205 as my final product before sealant/wax application, but going off of Todd's advice I purchased Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish as the last final wax prep polish. Let me just say...big mistake.

As I've said before, I am no expert, but I know what good paint looks like. I know what a swirl is and how to remove it. GEP was supposed to be the last final step, a non abbrasive polish to help maximize the effect of BFWD sealant. After using it, I can't see how anyone would recommend this polish as a "pre-wax" polish. I did a test, using Blackfire GEP and Meguiars M205 side by side to see the results. I was suprised to say the least. M205 left the amazing finish we all expect. GEP left a paint surface riddled with thousands of microswirls, acting almost like an aggressive compound. What really confused me was that I used the same technique and same cut pads (white and blue LC pads) to test this out. Consistently M205 beat GEP HANDS DOWN. Not even close. How a "non-abrasive" polish combined with a finishing pad leaves thousands of micro-swirls is beyond me. But it did. In case people belive I'm joking and can't possibly be serious, I have included a photo. On the right is M205 and on the left is Blackfire GEP. Using the same technique and the same pads. The only difference is the product. I will let you determine which you think is better and let you come to your own conclusion. As for me...I won't let GEP near my car ever again. I love BFWD and Midnight Sun Wax. But their GEP is garbage in my opinion. Anyone have similar stories?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscb56a2ee.jpg

I use P21s, try some, once you use that you will never go back. It was rated #1 against a test of all the other expensive waxes.:thumbsup:

CamaroDreams07 10-12-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiss My SS (Post 5687621)
I use P21s, try some, once you use that you will never go back. It was rated #1 against a test of all the other expensive waxes.:thumbsup:

Has nothing to do with this topic whatsoever. This is a review of polish, not a sealant or wax.

Surprised you had those results op. Pictures don't lie though. Hopefully Todd can lend his opinion. Nobody knows the blackfire line like he does.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

chappy48 10-12-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5687648)
Has nothing to do with this topic whatsoever. This is a review of polish, not a sealant or wax.

Surprised you had those results op. Pictures don't lie though. Hopefully Todd can lend his opinion. Nobody knows the blackfire line like he does.

I was surprised myself, having talked to Todd and hearing all the great things about GEP. I would say it's my technique, but that's doesn't explain the drastic result difference between M205 and GEP when the pads and the technique were THE SAME. As far as P21s...I have that wax and it's really good.

PS...I've sent Todd a PM with this picture asking for advice and why I achieved the result I did. So far no response other then "let me know how it works out for you".

PPS...I should also add that GEP was a royal PAIN in the ass to remove compared to M205. I had to reapply a coat of GEP and work it very quickly (ie short amount of time) to remove everything. M205 came off, no matter how long I worked it with a few swipes of the cloth.

ihaveacamaro 10-12-2012 10:16 PM

Tbh, I hear that m205 isn't the ultimate finishing down polish.... but with your picture, it looks quite good and I would be happy with the m205 finish.

Maybe it could be that in your conditions (sunlight, heat, humidity, etc) m205 simply worked much better. :iono:

One thing for sure, this was an interesting post. Thanks for posting!

Do you mind if I copy your thread to autogeek and ask there?

Rangore 10-12-2012 10:22 PM

:popcorn:

chappy48 10-13-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro (Post 5687727)
Tbh, I hear that m205 isn't the ultimate finishing down polish.... but with your picture, it looks quite good and I would be happy with the m205 finish.

Maybe it could be that in your conditions (sunlight, heat, humidity, etc) m205 simply worked much better. :iono:

One thing for sure, this was an interesting post. Thanks for posting!

Do you mind if I copy your thread to autogeek and ask there?

Go for it. I'm just really confused as to the results I got and was wondering if anyone has had a similar result with GEP. The more people see this the better.

Rhyder 10-13-2012 01:35 PM

maybe its me but I cant see anything with that pic, in the dark with what appear to be search lights reflecting off the paint...:D

do you have any out in the sun with no direct light reflecting?

CamaroDreams07 10-13-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhyder (Post 5689738)
maybe its me but I cant see anything with that pic, in the dark with what appear to be search lights reflecting off the paint...:D

do you have any out in the sun with no direct light reflecting?

You can't see the clear vertical line that divides the two sections, in the middle of the stripe?

Rhyder 10-13-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5689865)
You can't see the clear vertical line that divides the two sections, in the middle of the stripe?

I can, I was thinking that was the angle off the cowl as the line is straight as a ruler, didnt think you could get an edge that straight with a buffer, so was looking for definative difference.

CamaroDreams07 10-13-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhyder (Post 5689873)
I can, I was thinking that was the angle off the cowl as the line is straight as a ruler, didnt think you could get an edge that straight with a buffer, so was looking for definative difference.

I'm assuming he used tape to separate the panels, as is the general practice in comparison shots.

chappy48 10-13-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 5689900)
I'm assuming he used tape to separate the panels, as is the general practice in comparison shots.

This ^^ I used tape. This shot is on the rear trunk lid.

Mirror D 10-13-2012 07:39 PM

As its already mentioned, 205 is actually in the higher end market not considered a finishing polish. To most weekend warriors its a great finishing polish for its ease of use on and off. But too someone who does this for a living, I never finish down with 205. It has way to much cut and does not give a proper perfect finish.

Now I have never tried the Blackfire Prep...nor any other prep. The most prep actually have a sort of filler in them and do not add to any longevity of a LSP. You could save yourself money by simply doing a IPA wipe down of a car. If the surface is perfectly clean of any oils or contaminants from a finishing polish, it will also a LSP to better bond to the surface.

Now onto how you managed that much micromarring...is pretty impressive. LC pads are not that great to begin with. It could be from the amount of product you applied, the amount of force you used, the speed at which you were at with the machine and the time you spent working the product in. I do not know the instructions of the Blackfire Prep so I cannot guesstimate how you differed over the 205. Now if you worked the Prep in too long, what you are actually seeing is marring possibly caused from the pad.

chappy48 10-15-2012 12:06 AM

M205 has proven itself to be an excellent finishing polish. I have seen many comparisons to what most would consider to be "finishing" polishes and it looks no different. If you think it has too much cut...that's your opinion. I have seen M205 up close under an inspection light and seen no evidence of swirls or hazing.

I completly disagree with your idea of doing an IPA wipe to allow an LSP to better bond to the surface. The ONLY purpose of doing an IPA wipe is to see what damage you still have in the paint. It's a great tool to see if your work is doing what it should, taking swirls out of the paint, but an IPA wipe will do nothing, except expose damage still present on your car. The myth of it allowing an LSP to better adhere to the paint has been debunked time and time again.

LC pads have a track record, how you say they are not great is beyond me. The amount of product applied was the same as with M205. I noticed that GEP had a shorter working time, after the first coat applied, but even with a second coat applied to take up all the product it left numerous microswirls.

Again...the technique was the same for both products. M205 simply finished better then GEP. If anyone has experienced similar results I'd be interested, because oF GEP's stated purpose.