Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Wax on Wax? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294624)

AmericanMuscleCars 05-10-2013 09:47 AM

Wax on Wax?

Hey guys, i have waxed my car about two weeks ago with an electrical waxer and it looked great! But I've probably washed it twice already and it needs to be washed today. Can I put the wax on after washing it without removing the wax from before? I am going to hand apply it this time with a microfiber applicator pad, because I don't trust my self with that electrical waxer.

ihaveacamaro 05-10-2013 10:28 AM

Yeah you will be fine. Just slap it on top of existing wax :)

2012 ZL1#1658 05-10-2013 10:29 AM

I don't see any harm in it. I probably have multiple layers of wax on my car and I don't even wash it.

akCamaross 05-10-2013 10:39 AM

Depends on the type of wax. Youd be wasting money by putting more than one coat in such a close time period. Like swissvax you should only do one coat every so often.

CamaroDreams07 05-10-2013 10:40 AM

Do you have any foam pads? Microfiber is less than ideal for application.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AmericanMuscleCars 05-10-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6527064)
Do you have any foam pads? Microfiber is less than ideal for application.

No, I'm trying to find a local place to buy them. But it is a microfiber applicator pad, I figured it was the next best thing. And I am using meguiars gold class liquid wax plus.

CamaroDreams07 05-10-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 6527141)
No, I'm trying to find a local place to buy them. But it is a microfiber applicator pad, I figured it was the next best thing. And I am using meguiars gold class liquid wax plus.

I've seen foam pads by brands such as Turtle Wax at places like Walmart. Might want to check into that next time you're at the store.

You'll be fine with microfiber, theres nothing "wrong" with it, they can just kind of fight you a little as the fibers are better for picking up than putting down.

AmericanMuscleCars 05-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6527217)
I've seen foam pads by brands such as Turtle Wax at places like Walmart. Might want to check into that next time you're at the store.

You'll be fine with microfiber, theres nothing "wrong" with it, they can just kind of fight you a little as the fibers are better for picking up than putting down.

Thanks man ill pick up some foam sponges at Walmart or autozone, I'm just wary of those type of stores and their products for
Some reason

CamaroDreams07 05-10-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars (Post 6527331)
Thanks man ill pick up some foam sponges at Walmart or autozone, I'm just wary of those type of stores and their products for
Some reason

You're absolutely right to be wary. Luckily, foam is basically just foam no matter where it's from.

Yes, there's collapsed/open cell foam, but for an applicator pad we won't worry about that.

AmericanMuscleCars 05-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6527338)
You're absolutely right to be wary. Luckily, foam is basically just foam no matter where it's from.

Yes, there's collapsed/open cell foam, but for an applicator pad we won't worry about that.

Ok cool, thanks. I knew those stores weren't top of the line LOL :bellyroll:

jrisebo 05-10-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 ZL1#1658 (Post 6527033)
I don't see any harm in it. I probably have multiple layers of wax on my car and I don't even wash it.

So what do you do before waxing, just dust it off?

CamaroDreams07 05-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akCamaross (Post 6527061)
Depends on the type of wax. Youd be wasting money by putting more than one coat in such a close time period. Like swissvax you should only do one coat every so often.

I didn't even see this post. Must have gone up at the same time as mine. But he's absolutely right. Wax doesn't layer. The only benefit to adding another coat right away is to ensure you didn't miss a spot the first time.

Then just re-apply when it starts to fail (water isn't beading as well).

Very good point, AK.

otter 05-10-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 6527526)
I didn't even see this post. Must have gone up at the same time as mine. But he's absolutely right. Wax doesn't layer. The only benefit to adding another coat right away is to ensure you didn't miss a spot the first time.

Then just re-apply when it starts to fail (water isn't beading as well).

Very good point, AK.

If you put a wax over a sealant when do you wax again? Shouldn't a good sealant, (like black fire) keep you beading for months?

Or if you finish your wash with a detail spray, aren't you always going to have good beading?

CamaroDreams07 05-10-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otter (Post 6527644)
If you put a wax over a sealant when do you wax again? Shouldn't a good sealant, (like black fire) keep you beading for months?

Or if you finish your wash with a detail spray, aren't you always going to have good beading?

Good questions. Yes, the sealant will keep you beading. In this case you just have to go based on your experience. I top off my wax every 2 months or so. That keeps me a good coat without clouding that can happen when you get too many coats of wax.

You should be able to see beading or not during rain, or during your wash before you hit it with the detail spray.