Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Attention ZL1 owners-to-be! Cold-Weather Bulletin on Eagle F1 G:2 tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045)

LOWDOWN 12-09-2011 11:09 AM

Fact is, for years, there have been Summer-only Tires manufactured and sold successfully all over the world...in all manner of climates...by many Companies. And they're described as Summer-only for a reason!

These warnings are ignored at your personal peril !!

But they're also not "new" news...

OldScoolCamaro 12-09-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4140968)
This thread is Sticky worthy!

I think so too. It's an important issue and it's likely there will be much to follow up with going forward on this issue after the cars start getting delivered and used in different climates IMHO. :thumbsup:

DangerZL1 12-09-2011 11:38 AM

I thought this warning was initially exaggeraged, but not now. I thought you could drive summer tires in the winter, but just had to be careful and expect loss of traction.....never thought the rubber could split. I share the same concern as collins motorsport in that my garage is not climate controlled, so the temps inside will easily dip into the 30's or lower when the peak of winter arrives. So, I guess the best the average owner cold do is just move the car in neutral a few inches each week until the temps get above 40.

Also, the first ZL1s will be delivered in the winter months, so how is the owner going to transport the car home???

Wondering 12-09-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins motorsport (Post 4140023)
So if we have an indoor space to store the car but it isn't heated then our first set of tires is basically screwed?

No,they are saying that the rubber gets brittle under 40* & may split if driven hard. A parked car has no worries.

I've known the rules of Max Performance Summer tires for years. But this is the first time I've ever seen one split as a result of cold weather driving.

hognutz 12-09-2011 12:13 PM

the only way around this issue if you want to drive the car in the winder is get a set of stock or aftermarket 9" rims with 275's. that is as wide as I have found in an all season.

I had the same inssue with my mustang when I upsized the rear tires.

I think the real issue with these tires well be rapid change in temps.

On thing to remember though is these tires are worth $$$ you could always dismount and sell them. I did with my f1 supercar runflats on my 08 coupe becasue the straitline grip on those tires is bad. I upsized to 305 invo's the day I got the car. way better strait line grip and I got more out of my stock tires than the new ones cost.

ShnOmac 12-09-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 4141152)
Fact is, for years, there have been Summer-only Tires manufactured and sold successfully all over the world...in all manner of climates...by many Companies. And they're described as Summer-only for a reason!

These warnings are ignored at your personal peril !!

But they're also not "new" news...

Very true!

Im not sure a lot of people have actually had "summer" only tires until the last few years. Most new cars come with all seasons.... even some all seasons are not good in the cold!

I sure as heck wont forget the first and only time I got stuck in a freak snow storm with summer tires..... Lets just say the way back down the mountain had some serious pucker factor. :facepalm:

ShnOmac 12-09-2011 12:44 PM

If anyone is wanting more info on winter tires read this.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106945

Scarrzz 12-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4141584)
.... Lets just say the way back down the mountain had some serious pucker factor. :facepalm:

Nice linkage, Mac.

Yeah, I was bringing a '76 Lincoln Town Car full of Sunday School kids down the mountain from a ski trip once... I kept about five car lengths between us & the car ahead because it had been snowing hard all day. At crawling speed we still broke loose and the car started doing a 180° turn - very very slowly.

When we were looking uphill I figured marginal sliding friction was better than no friction so I just braked. We stopped less than a car length before we bumped the car ahead.

The kids thought I did it on purpose, it happened so slowly. They said it was awesome. There was no chance of injury, but it was slicker than snot on a doorknob, that's for sure.

That's what your phrase, "pucker factor" reminded me of.

LOWDOWN 12-09-2011 03:09 PM

When the Gen-3s arrived with those lovely greasy Gatorback 16s, circa '85, I had a death-defying 5-mile drive when the first snowfall fell...all 2" of it !!!!!! A usually 7-minute drive took me TWO HOURS...and four pushes...

Summer-only means EXACTLY that...

bowtiefamily 12-09-2011 04:34 PM

I wonder if they will delay production because of the colder temps in Canada?

wilmaya 12-09-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtiefamily (Post 4142979)
I wonder if they will delay production because of the colder temps in Canada?

That makes me wonder when they have them parked outside waiting to get loaded. Then being driven onto transporters/railcars. Can the tires handle that abuse?

bowtiefamily 12-09-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilmaya (Post 4143223)
That makes me wonder when they have them parked outside waiting to get loaded. Then being driven onto transporters/railcars. Can the tires handle that abuse?

My thoughts exactly!

Z4me 12-09-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4140968)
This thread is Sticky worthy!

:word: Agreed, along with any other posts concerning the safety issues
that need to be addressed concerning these cars.

1981DFA 12-09-2011 07:29 PM

Well if anything happens to the tires before you take deilvery they will be replaced at no charge to you. Just make sure you look at the tires very closely before signing any paperwork. Some (no all) dealers may even be willing to let the car sit in the showroom until a nice day comes along (meaning above 40 or 50*) then let you come and get it. I wouldnt worry about the tires to much. Just be sure to get a decent set of all season or winter tires before next winter and store the factory tire as stated in there service bulletin.