Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gotcha! 'Gen V' Engine Details... DOHC! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706)

LSxcellent 10-01-2007 04:29 PM

Gotcha! 'Gen V' Engine Details... DOHC!

Via several links eventually ending up at www.pickuptruck.com:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news...eunionuaw.html

"According to the document, C3XX pickups will feature a new 'Gen V' 6.2-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC) V8 engine - a major departure from GM's traditional overhead valve (OHV) pushrod engine design used in its trucks, like the ‘Gen IV’ 403-horsepower / 417 lb-feet L92 6.2-liter V8 under the hood of the GMC Sierra Denali. The only DOHC V8 GM currently offers is Cadillac’s 4.6-liter Northstar engine.

The Gen V 6.2 motor will use variable valve timing (VVT) like the Gen IV 6.2, but the use of dual overhead cams holds the promise of four valves per cylinder instead of the current two valves, for better intake and exhaust flow and increased power. This is a similar setup to the 5.7-liter i-Force V8 used in the Toyota Tundra, but the Gen V 6.2 will also offer GM's active fuel management (AFM) system. AFM shuts down half the cylinders during steady state running for improved fuel economy – a feature not currently available for the i-Force. Up until this point, it’s been conventional wisdom that implementing cylinder deactivation on OHC engines is impractical for reasons of cost and complexity.

Pushrod engines won’t be disappearing entirely from GM’s truck line. A new ‘Gen V’ OHV V8 will replace the current 320-hp / 340 lb-feet 5.3-liter V8. Apparently the final displacement hasn’t been determined yet, because it’s referred to as 5X."
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:eyebulge: :eyebulge: :eyebulge: :eyebulge: :eyebulge: :eyebulge:

Um, this is unbelievable news if it is indeed true (which it looks like it is)... This means we might get a DOHC, 6.2L, V8 capable of big power AND good mpg! I have to breath, this is crazy...

~LSx

Eisenhower 10-01-2007 04:48 PM

If it makes it into the Camaro; that'll be a hot ride.:burnrubber:

acscamarochick06 10-01-2007 05:23 PM

:w00t: :bellyroll: :headbang: :thumbup: :thumbsup:

Good find!

Mindz 10-01-2007 07:33 PM

Which has more potential for power LS3 or that? I know which is better for mpg, but are the power potentials similar?

Mr. Wyndham 10-01-2007 09:23 PM

It seems that that Gen V engine thing I found a while back wasn't a one hit wonder...check this out, from the same post of mine a while back -- it sort of integrates both articles together...

Quote:

Fortunately, timing is on the auto maker’s side. The recent introduction of the ’08 Corvette’s 430-hp LS3 V-8, along with the release later this year of the ’08 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid’s 6.0L V-8, represent the last editions of the Gen IV engine family, Stephens says.
All subsequent introductions will be of the Gen V architecture and could have DIG fueling integrated from the ground up, especially considering the refinement of the current test engine’s operation. The greater specific output provided by DIG also would allow for greater engine downsizing, thereby improving fuel economy even further.

The new Camaro, which originally was shown at the 2005 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, is expected to appear later next year as an ’09 model, with the all-new RWD Impala taking form sometime early in the next decade. Revisions for future generations of the Corvette and Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra pickups are expected in the same timeframe, Wolkonowicz says.
I never had anything against DOHC...just thought it was neat that GM managed to keep up with their pushrods, (sigh)...Hopefully, now we'll see some increased rpms, too! :thumbsup:

EDIT: I skimmed that entire pdf...and there are numerous mentions to "zeta" and many if not all parts are going to be made HERE. There were multiple references to Gen V...but none that slated production to start before 2010-1/2. And nobody would happen to know what the GMT/GMX reference is to the Camaro, would they? :rolleyes: cause there could be some useful deciferable info if we knew that....(groans) I'm gonna get stuffed in a suburban for this...

TAG UR IT 10-02-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

The Gen V 6.2 motor will use variable valve timing (VVT) like the Gen IV 6.2,
This is something that has me interested as well. If the 09 is offered w/ the LS3, I'm guessing that we can expect VVT???...according to the article, right?

And this is GREAT news! GM makes some, and pardon my language, BAD ASS engines. That is one area that has always impressed me. To think...that it's possible to walk up to your new 450hp Camaro and see the window sticker that says, "City = 25mpg : HWY = 38mpg"... (of couse this is me...dreaming...)

heck...why not make it 30/40!!!

Power Junkie 10-02-2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 25386)
To think...that it's possible to walk up to your new 450hp Camaro and see the window sticker that says, "City = 25mpg : HWY = 38mpg"... (of couse this is me...dreaming...)

heck...why not make it 30/40!!!

Why not... imo there's no reason why they can't make an engine efficient... we've seen diesels that have claimed (90mpg) and even big engined versions... One episode of Top Gear showed J.C going from London to Scotland and back on a single tank of fuel in a 4.0 Litre V8 Diesel... with 2 turbos i might add.... ok granted he was driving as efficiently as he could but still 800miles on one tank, Not Bad.

I don't think 35mpg is out of reach for a modern V8.. of course as soon as you mash the loud pedal.. that figures going to disappear faster than a bottle of whiskey at an alcoholics support group :D

JeepinMatt 10-02-2007 07:53 AM

OHC... Bleh. I want my pushrod engine.

Mr. Wyndham 10-02-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 25386)
This is something that has me interested as well. If the 09 is offered w/ the LS3, I'm guessing that we can expect VVT???...according to the article, right?

Though it's possible...I'd be willing to bet that they were referring to the Gen IV L92...it, too is a 6.2, and it has VVT...my thinking is, if the LS3 is the last iteration of Gen IV...why improve it? Sorry if I squashed any dreams of yours, I really didn't mean to.:p

Okay...there is an interesting note here:

like I said before, nothing Gen V that's mentioned is slated for production before 2011...but there are numerous gen IV parts, i.e. Cyllinder deac., that will be continuing production well after the start of Gen V production...thought it was a worthy mention...

:eek:YAO! Okay, I'm typing as I'm reading, so excuse my outbursts...Sandusky? I'm not sure what that is, or where in regards to GM's plants, but it'll be making the Zeta front and rear (starting late 2008 -page 66), for GMX 511/521/551.
Saginaw steering will also be taking care of that aspect (at least columns, and half-shafts) for GMX511/521/551...also listed as starting production in late 2008.

I'm assuming that GMX551 is the G8....but, why group it with the Camaro?:confused: there's something fishy going on...

The 2008 thing, that's the biggest part. I mean, we've all heard the rumors, and official stuff. But this is an official document between GM, the UAW, and Delphi...sooooo

EDIT: ugh, I'm definitely going to be chased down suburban-style....

JeepinMatt 10-02-2007 11:41 AM

I just hope that the General doesn't abandon the OHV as a performance engine. Yeah, I know all the advantages and drawbacks of pushrods and OHC/DOHCs, but I still always liked the fact that GM was able to compete with their OHVs. It's sort of their calling card, or one of them.

JeepinMatt 10-02-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 25410)
EDIT: ugh, I'm definitely going to be chased down suburban-style....

OT but it got me thinking. If we were talking about Toyota, would you still be hauled off Suburban style?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1190959138

Mr. Wyndham 10-02-2007 07:52 PM

Really! hmm, interesting. Because everything Camaro (511, 521) in that document is paired with the Impala....

If you don't mind me asking - how did you know that GMX511,521 was the Camaro? I hadn't seen it anywhere, ao I was just asking a question I never expected to be answered :laugh:. I was extremely surprised when you responded!