Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Front License Plate Bracket Mod. Texas (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110082)

overhaulengines 10-10-2010 10:37 AM

Front License Plate Bracket Mod. Texas

11 Attachment(s)
Hello, when i purchased my car, the front plate was already mounted:mad0260:, so i removed it a plugged them, looks better than the massive plate holder. so the other day i see it the news (san antonio) that they are cracking down on no front plates. So me and my buddy came up with this idea to make brackets so i could install and remove the plate when at car shows. turned out pretty good.
i used some aluminum, cut them to the size i needed, installed some riv-nuts in them and then epoxied them in. if you dont have riv-nuts you could maybe JB weld some nuts onto the plates.

having trouble loading pics for some reason, trying now
Lupe

GJG 10-10-2010 11:12 AM

your just full of good ideas!

how much did you have to trim off the bottom of the license plate?

overhaulengines 10-10-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJG (Post 2425541)
your just full of good ideas!

how much did you have to trim off the bottom of the license plate?

thx bro. just below the license plate numbers. it really was trim fit, trim fit. also because of the bend made, it's cut in a slight "V", very slight though. it not just staight across. I will take the plate off tomorrow n take a closer pic n post it. I'm at the lake right now. lol

Inferno Orange SS 10-10-2010 01:18 PM

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...l/P1000547.jpg

Couple white zip ties and a little fold of the plate and two tiny holes in the center of the plate works quite well, and takes about 8 min and you have nothing on your car and its a simple snip of the zip ties when you head to your local track! ;)

overhaulengines 10-10-2010 02:14 PM

kool. did u have to cut ur plate or r they smaller than Texas plates? your is another kool idea. thx for sharing. I head to a show at least once a week, being able to either put the screws in or out take 30 seconds n don't have to buy any tyraps on a regular basis.

thx

Lupe

mojojojo7176 10-13-2010 09:44 PM

Inferno Orange SS... Man that's a sharp looking stripe package. That pic just whew... Makes me envious. Where'd you get the stripe package like that and/or what'd it cost to get done ? Sorry to get off topic with the thread, but that's just about one of the best pics I've seen. Almost makes me sad to have gotten the RJT. Wonder if mine would look that sharp.

overhaulengines 10-17-2010 11:45 AM

i went to a camaro gathering friday night and a car show yesterday, this mod worked out real well. off and back on in 20-30 seconds:D

lupe

Inferno Orange SS 10-21-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojojojo7176 (Post 2439197)
Inferno Orange SS... Man that's a sharp looking stripe package. That pic just whew... Makes me envious. Where'd you get the stripe package like that and/or what'd it cost to get done ? Sorry to get off topic with the thread, but that's just about one of the best pics I've seen. Almost makes me sad to have gotten the RJT. Wonder if mine would look that sharp.

The bracket mod def looks clean, well done im considering it myself now!

As for the stripes, the car came like that from gm it is the Indy 500 pace car replica, came with the stripes emblems and headrests along with a couple other color items in the interior. The car used to have a large Indy 500 decal on the door but i had it removed shortly after purchasing it, I think it looks alot cleaner without the door decal.

jmhenry5150 12-16-2010 05:27 PM

This worked for me!

4 Attachment(s)
I just couldn't bear to drill the holes inthe bumper...

2010 SSRS 12-16-2010 05:29 PM

looks good

LoneStar 12-21-2010 09:30 PM

Looks good, OP! What did you use to plug the holes?

overhaulengines 12-21-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro (Post 2658409)
Looks good, OP! What did you use to plug the holes?

Hello, I purchased some plastic plugs at pepboys. Painted them n pushed them in the bumper. Pretty easy.

Lupe

Oldtimer426 01-01-2011 08:34 AM

Why not buy a retractable plate holder for as little as $60 electric or manuel?

overhaulengines 01-01-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtimer426 (Post 2686627)
Why not buy a retractable plate holder for as little as $60 electric or manuel?

i guess i could have, i thought about it, but i have seen a few and really didnt care for the way it look when it was tucked in. that's just me, also if you have seen all my mod's, i'm the kind of person who likes to do my own mods.:)

thanks

lupe