Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Waxing the Decal Stripes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117429)

s2dbaker 11-26-2010 09:17 PM

Waxing the Decal Stripes

I just got my new Camaro last Tuesday evening and I plan to wax it this weekend. I have never owned a car with decal stripes. Are there any recommendations for the car's first coat of wax? Do I have to do something different with the decal stripes? Any waxy favorites? Want to wax poetic?

Inquiring minds want to know.

mulletman 11-26-2010 09:35 PM

Do NOT wax the stripes! I have not tried Adam's clear polish on my stripes but others on this forum like the results. Keep the wax away from the edges of the stripes or white residue from most waxes will be hard to remove. Read this forum and you will learn a lot. Congrats on your new Camaro.:thumbup:

FL1CK 11-26-2010 10:00 PM

Use a wax that doesn't leave a white residue if you want them waxed. (ICE for example, it doesn't last as long though)

CamaroDreams07 11-26-2010 10:09 PM

Before you wax, I recommend at least clay barring the car first. There are tons of threads on how to do this, so use the search.

I'd recommend then polishing the car to remove imperfections that came from the dealer/factor (search "Junkman" on YouTube to find out how to do this properly). He's the most respected detailer on here and provides wonderful videos to show how to achieve shine and repair paint.

The reason why you want to clay and polish first is to clean up the paint very well and then correct the small swirls and scratches that are inevitable on a new car. Just get it perfect before you seal it up with wax.

On to the waxing- the wax you use is up to you. My favorite is Adam's Americana, but you would keep this AWAY from the stripes. What you would use on the stripes is Turtle Wax Ice, Adam's Clear polish, and I THINK I've heard Rejex works (but I'm not 100%) on the Rejex.

SSOOCH 11-26-2010 10:13 PM

I wax my Cyber Grey Metallic stripes that were factory installed with Meguair's NXT 2.0 liquid wax. They look great! No problems at all.

Camaro Freak 11-26-2010 10:35 PM

I use Adam's Clear Polish and love it!! Keeps them looking NEW and best of all offers UV protection. I studied a lot on this before putting anything on my stripes, cause you can mess them up. But I stand by the Clear Polish!! Works Great everytime.

Huggerorange73 11-26-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 2584267)
I wax my Cyber Grey Metallic stripes that were factory installed with Meguair's NXT 2.0 liquid wax. They look great! No problems at all.

I do the exact same thing......here's an excellent rule of thumb...if your stripes are flat and have no sheen, do NOT put any wax on them!!!! If your stripes have a sheen on them throw a coat of wax or two on em!

2LTRS 11-26-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 (Post 2584310)
I do the exact same thing......here's an excellent rule of thumb...if your stripes are flat and have no sheen, do NOT put any wax on them!!!! If your stripes have a sheen on them throw a coat of wax or two on em!

Bingo.. However there are a few good products for the matte finish stripes as well. Adams clear polish and brilliant glaze both look great on matte stripes.

gofast908z 11-27-2010 01:18 AM

I think someone needs to make a STICKY: How to care for your new 5th gen AND stripes!

This question is asked like what...2-3 times a week?

SILVER BULLITT 11-27-2010 03:16 AM

i use mothers on my flat black and they look amazing !

Mac the Knife 11-27-2010 03:35 AM

Zaino'd over my cgm stripes just like the paint and they look great. stay away from the edges of the stripes when claying tho.

2LTRS 11-27-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofast908z (Post 2584612)
I think someone needs to make a STICKY: How to care for your new 5th gen AND stripes!

This question is asked like what...2-3 times a week?

I couldn't agree more

TooCool5 11-29-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Freak (Post 2584304)
I use Adam's Clear Polish and love it!! Keeps them looking NEW and best of all offers UV protection. I studied a lot on this before putting anything on my stripes, cause you can mess them up. But I stand by the Clear Polish!! Works Great everytime.

Polish only for me, wax is temporary and doesn't build layers.

Adam's Polishes 11-29-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooCool5 (Post 2591939)
Polish only for me, wax is temporary and doesn't build layers.

I think you might have that reversed... polish doesn't build up, but wax does and no product is permanent... doesn't matter what you're using - wax or sealant - the effects/protection have a finite life span.