Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   DEATH DEFYING (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307465)

Normagene 07-16-2013 09:02 AM

DEATH DEFYING

2 Attachment(s)
That's what I'm calling my husbands attempt at installing the JDP Colored Halo Kit. Neither of us really being "car guys" and having very little to no experience working on cars other than the normal stuff like changing the oil or a tire, my husbands attempt at installing the JDP Halo kit turned into a nightmare. I came out to see how it was going, he'd been outside, in the driveway not in a garage on a concrete floor, for an hour or so. Well I almost fainted seeing my husbands legs dangling out from under the car which was raised up just barely enough for him to slither under to remove the belly pan. Raised up how, on a bunch of scrap pieces of wood, and then I watched him jack up the side of the car so he could put a jack stand underneath, using a two ton jack which I think is insufficient, and jack stands that looked even weaker. But when I saw the jack POP out and the car come down onto the jack crushing the body molding, which somehow didn't permanently damage, I said STOP, we're done. We don't have the right tools and equipment to do this job and its completely unsafe.

My husband has done numerous mods to this car like the sequential taillights, ghosted side markers, Roto Fab Cold Air Intake and even installed the RX Catch Can with no problems whatsoever. But with this install we are over our heads. Watching the JDP install video on an SS, the ZL1 has all kinds of extra screws and bolts that the SS doesn't so when my husband was looking into the wheelwell to remove the liner, I think at that point he realized he was over his head and the whole setup was way to dangerous. He really needed to remove the tire and on those jack stands I said, no way, we're done.

I absolutely love these halo lights, and I wanted to put the grille (red) LEDs in at the same time and run the wire harness as one. I think he could easily do all that part of the install fairly easy, but getting the front clip/fascia off was/is too much. Not having the proper equipment and tools. Forget it, too dangerous. So I checked into some shop time, cheapest was around $100 an hour and none had ever did an install like this, not even one shop I could find had removed the front fascia on a ZL1. So I'd be looking at four hours or so plus the cost of the lights, way way too expensive. I'd love to have these installed, but the final cost would be around $700 plus. Way out of our budget. So everything is on hold for now.

Then as luck would have it, don't you know it, our Noweeds exhaust system came in, and my husband said that's an easy install. But I'm thinking my husband will be underneath the car for most of that install, and after what I witnessed, I'm definitely not comfortable with that thought. You need four good heavy duty jack stands, he has two and they are junk so I cant even imagine what I'd possibly see him doing, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the safest. You need the right tools and equipment to do the job right. I almost feel like YELLING HELP! I don't want my husband getting crushed to death. Although with what I witnessed I did go and immediately make out a check for this months Life Insurance payment. Seriously, I've got to come up with something, or the worst case scenario will be to return this light kit, which I don't want to do unless its a last resort. The Noweeds I can some shop time and they can cut and install the Diverter in an hour at most the. We can do the wiring from there, so the shop time on that one I can handle.

Anyway; here's a picture of what was almost my husbands last day on earth!
Attachment 533650
Attachment 533651

45thAnniversary2SS 07-16-2013 09:06 AM

Took me and a friend about 6 hours start to finish. The hardest part is getting the new LEDs into the headlights. Once you get the front fascia off it's really not too hard.

But yea...... no way I'd be crawling under that car with it sitting on a dozen pieces of shifting wood lol. Glad he's okay.

It must be really different on the ZL1, we did not have to jack the car up to get the front fascia off.

closs2sx 07-16-2013 09:15 AM

Sounds like Dan needs to have another party so I can come help

Happy_Dan 07-16-2013 09:32 AM

Bring it up, I am sure some of the guys would be happy to help! PLEASE DO NOT EVER TAKE SAFETY LIGHTLY! Too many people have been crushed under cars! It is no joke, very serious issue. I cringed when I saw your pictures!

I am more than happy to share my incredible blessings and good fortune. The lift and tools are always available for my friends.

(BTW - who has my 10MM in their pocket?) ;) Ha ha.

FAIRNOT LZ1 07-16-2013 10:27 AM

See Norma if you would just hang with us you wouldn't even have to post that pic.... we ALL take care of each other and some of us have all the right tools.... Want to hang with us? :rules:

Happy_Dan 07-16-2013 10:30 AM

HEY, keep it clean!

2010SLVRBULIT 07-16-2013 10:32 AM

ZL1? get a lift!

NH 2012 SS/RS 07-16-2013 10:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes, you need to visit "Happy Dans Garage"
I am always willing to help and only live a few miles from him. I know I can get Charlie up here as well, As a matter of fact, If our CF splitters come in today (like its supposed to) we will be doing more mods this weekend...

I'm always game to help out whenever his garage is not available, I dont have the lift... but I got just about everything else...lol
Attachment 533699

Attachment 533698

Attachment 533700

v6sonoma 07-16-2013 11:05 AM

I can say I've seen worse but then again not on a car as pricey as a ZL1... :yikes:

Northeast Rod Run 07-16-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normagene (Post 6783639)

YIKES!!!!

You couldn't pay me enough to get under that

chevy 3 07-16-2013 11:44 AM

Holly crap Dave. Nice garage

NH 2012 SS/RS 07-16-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy 3 (Post 6784260)
Holly crap Dave. Nice garage

A few Maple cabinets...I gave the neighbor up the street the Cherry one's....they didn't match the Harley...:lol:

FAIRNOT LZ1 07-16-2013 11:59 AM

To clean :biggrin:

We can fix that :sorry:

NH 2012 SS/RS 07-16-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAIRNOT LZ1 (Post 6784304)
To clean :biggrin:

We can fix that :sorry:

LOL....

It gets Dirty.....:washing:
But I cant let it stay that way.......:der: (OCD)