Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Underwhelmed by ZL1 convertible in person... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215093)

vetteman 04-08-2012 04:35 PM

Underwhelmed by ZL1 convertible in person...

I was at the Palm Beach auction and surprised to see the ZL1 Vert there. I had been looking foreword to seeing one in person. I owned a 2010 SS which I really liked. I think the new steering wheel is horrendous. While I agree the old one didn't feel great - it looked retro cool. The new one is right out of the check parts bin. just looks cheap and out of place. The Nav system also looked chew and out of place.

This is what drives me nuts about GM. They design something cool then they go to the parts bin and start throwing things in that were never part of original design....I also thought the suede felt very cheap also.

I still may get one but I was really let down - then I walked over to see the new GT500 - everything is cohesive - no parts bin steering wheel - cool seats, dash, cue ball shifter etc...

I think they have made the camaro worse ...

Now the 60th Anniversary Vette was stunning - here is a car they made look better! after years gone by but the interior also sucks on this car - parts bin steering wheel also.

Just my thoughts -

shockandawe 04-08-2012 04:55 PM

Hmmmmmmmm

Frankzl1 04-08-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteman (Post 4775136)
I was at the Palm Beach auction and surprised to see the ZL1 Vert there. I had been looking foreword to seeing one in person. I owned a 2010 SS which I really liked. I think the new steering wheel is horrendous. While I agree the old one didn't feel great - it looked retro cool. The new one is right out of the check parts bin. just looks cheap and out of place. The Nav system also looked chew and out of place.

This is what drives me nuts about GM. They design something cool then they go to the parts bin and start throwing things in that were never part of original design....I also thought the suede felt very cheap also.

I still may get one but I was really let down - then I walked over to see the new GT500 - everything is cohesive - no parts bin steering wheel - cool seats, dash, cue ball shifter etc...

I think they have made the camaro worse ...

Now the 60th Anniversary Vette was stunning - here is a car they made look better! after years gone by but the interior also sucks on this car - parts bin steering wheel also.

Just my thoughts -

Don't get it please:barf:

AZCamaroFan 04-08-2012 05:11 PM

Well i agree the new steering wheel might not look like a sports car wheel, it doesn't look cheap though.

ShnOmac 04-08-2012 05:15 PM

Ehhh... To each their own. I think it looks fine!

69 Rebel 04-08-2012 05:26 PM

I think you should get the Mustang

Deke736 04-08-2012 05:28 PM

While the looks of the new steering wheel aren't the best, the feel and function are much better than in previous models. I was surprised by how much I liked it when I picked up my ZL1 on Friday. Now I just need to black out the bowtie on it.

tpower 04-08-2012 05:30 PM

I say get the GT500 it will suit you

99firehawk 04-08-2012 05:30 PM

I too was at the Barrat-Jackson Auction in West Palm Beach last Thursday and saw the two verts beside each other and thought.......it is great to see GM back in the game and producing two amazing cars!

I don't agree with the OP and thought the ZL1 vert was awesome and made me want one more! The 427 Vette vert is stunning for sure and if I had an extra $25K, it would be a tougher decision....but I don't lol.

I asked a GM employee near by which one he would take if he could have either (thinking he would say the Vette) and he said the ZL1 vert "without question". I thought his reason would be the extra power and it wasn't.....it was "how comfortable" a car it was. He had driven both and found the ZL1 interior quieter and just more comfortable to drive around town and faster.

GoldenBear 04-08-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteman (Post 4775136)
... then I walked over to see the new GT500 - everything is cohesive - no parts bin steering wheel - cool seats, dash, cue ball shifter etc...

Based on what you've stated it appears clear that the new GT500 is best vehicle to hit American automotive showrooms since the 1964 1/2 Mustang, based on a Falcon suspension with a 170 CID 101 HP straight 6 and with 4 wheel drum brakes, appeared on Friday, April 17, 1964.

Happy_Dan 04-08-2012 06:46 PM

The flat bottom on the steering wheel is functional like almost everything else on this car. It make moving your legs easier to heel toe shift while still staying close to the wheel. The steering wheel on the existing Camaro would right out of the "parts bin"! This is different.

Scott is sure right, you just can't make everyone happy.

Modern07 04-08-2012 07:20 PM

I agree a "little" on the steering wheel - I think it would be nice to have a big ZL1 instead of the gold Bowtie, but other than that I don't agree at all.

It sounds like you should buy the GT500

xx_ED_xx 04-08-2012 07:23 PM

Not a vert lover, make a car more flimsy then add a bunch of bracing and weight just to be topless.....
On top of the leaks etc. Screw that...

Happy_Dan 04-08-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx (Post 4775766)
Not a vert lover, make a car more flimsy then add a bunch of bracing and weight just to be topless.....
On top of the leaks etc. Screw that...

I thought the Camaro was built as a convertible first so the bracing etc. is already there. Then they made the coupe. I could be completely wrong on that one but it is in my memory for some reason.