Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   need help with wiring switch for footwell lighting (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204227)

blackSSRS 02-20-2012 01:06 PM

need help with wiring switch for footwell lighting

hey guys, just wired some footwell lights and am going to hook them up to a switch. i researched a bit and found the thread on how to hook them up to a 3 position on/off/on toggle but am looking for something a little different.
I'm looking to use a blue l.e.d. rocker switch with just on and off position. i want to mount this switch in a visible location because it looks better but the back of the switch has a power, load, ground connection... so how do i wire it to make my footwells come on with the dome light in the off position whenever i open the door or turn the dome light on using its switch. i want the on position that makes the little blue light on the switch light up to make just the footwells only come on when i want. basically the on/off/on set up but without the off completely part. either just on with dome light or only footwells on when i flick the switch on. thanks guys sorry i'm new to wiring.

blackSSRS 02-22-2012 10:58 AM

:bump:

nyrfan 02-22-2012 11:30 AM

What you wrote is somewhat confusing but I'll take a stab.

You want the footwell lights to be in sync with the dome light but you also want to have manual control over them (so they can be on without the dome), is this correct? If this is the case, you''ll need that 3-way switch (on-off-on).

The Stig 02-22-2012 11:32 AM

You can't have an on/on switch. You would need to use a 5-pin relay set up to have what you are asking. Why not just do the on/off/on switch? The DIY for it is really well done.

blackSSRS 02-22-2012 11:32 AM

yep, ya sorry it does seem confusing. i just want an on/off rocker switch. off lets footwells work with the dome light, on turns footwells only on..
but i don't think its possible but i'm not sure, i'm really clueless when it comes to wiring

blackSSRS 02-22-2012 11:36 AM

Thanks Stieger, ya i had a feeling what i want is hard to do if even possible. i did the on/off/on switch and have it mounted hidden under the dash below the fuse box. i love where it is and how it works. I was mainly wanting the rocker switch with the blue l.e.d. set up because it would just add another button and look cool. but the DIY way was very helpful and works great!! may have to just leave it like this.

thanks again guys!

nyrfan 02-22-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackSSRS (Post 4524359)
yep, ya sorry it does seem confusing. i just want an on/off rocker switch. off lets footwells work with the dome light, on turns footwells only on..
but i don't think its possible but i'm not sure, i'm really clueless when it comes to wiring

Not sure it's possible.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 02-22-2012 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

The Stig 02-22-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 4524394)
Here you go.

This is a much easier way than doing it with a relay. I didn't think to use diodes.

nyrfan 02-22-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 4524394)
Here you go.

interesting. Is there a particular diode to use (sorry I am ignorant when it comes to Diodes)?

The Stig 02-22-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan (Post 4524438)
interesting. Is there a particular diode to use (sorry I am ignorant when it comes to Diodes)?

shouldn't be. Diodes are basically just one way valves for electricity.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 02-22-2012 11:51 AM

Look for a 12volt and 4-6 amps you can go smaller but that is what i use for the RS headlight harness.

blackSSRS 02-22-2012 12:01 PM

2SSRS you the man, thanks!! gonna save this because i want to add cup holder l.e.d.'s with the cover plate and i'm gonna mount the rocker switch on the cover plate so waiting till i do cup holder lights until i mount the switch on them.
thanks again guys! this site is amazing

2SSRS@Gen5diy 02-22-2012 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are 3 diodes.