Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LS RS Exterior Near "Look Alike"? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26807)

bub 06-10-2009 08:51 PM

LS RS Exterior Near "Look Alike"?

Some Q's:

1) Does anyone know if the wiring harness is installed to permit installing fog lamps in a LS?

What about the dash switch? Is it the same?

I have to assume this could be done for under $300.

2) Per my calcs all wheel and tire combos have essentially the same rolling outside diameter, thus they are interchangeable in that regard without having to reprogram the speedo.

What bout the bolt pattern? I assume all trims are identical.

There are factory 20's all over eBay. For $1,500 you would have the RS wheels and tires + an LS "winter" set.

3) I assume one can order the RS spoiler from GM parts and paint to match? How does it attach? Adhesive tape or drilled holes? Seems like I have seen stripe paint jobs with it removed and there are holes.

4) What about the Halo's? Probably cost prohibitive.

5) RS Badging? No biggie there.

No messing with the black rubber roof ditch.

Just pondering what it would take to make an LS look like a 1LT RS.

Speed 1 06-10-2009 09:03 PM

Good ?'s

kdoske 06-10-2009 09:04 PM

isn't the price difference between an LS and an 1LT very little? I thought the difference was like 1500.00
If it is then I wouldn't bother even trying it would cost way more then just getting the LT/RS

Also, you drive a corvette, why would you possibly need to do this, is it for you kid or something?

bub 06-10-2009 09:09 PM

LS MSRP $23,040 w/ dest. (+$60 for floormats)

1LT MSRP $24,675 w/ dest.

Base MSRP Delta $1,635

RS add for 1LT $1,750

Total Delta $3,385

Estimate of post 1 above:

20's = $1,500 (plus you would end up with 2 sets of wheels and tires)
Spoiler = $500 painted
Fogs = $300

Say $2,300

Save a net of $1,000 and have an extra set of RS all-season tires and wheels for winter as a bonus?

bub 06-10-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdoske (Post 573043)
Also, you drive a corvette, why would you possibly need to do this, is it for you kid or something?

Bingo.

Just pondering the options and value equations here inherent to the LS.

It is a steal of a car for the $, but so is the whole line-up.

Compare the LS at $23,100 (+$2,300 aftermarket adds noted above = $25,400) vs. $29,875 MSRP for my 2LT on order. (Delta = $4,475 vs. aftermarket "look alike RS", but a significant $6,775 vs. base LS)[this represents an ~+17% premium for the 2LT vs. aftermarket equipped LS, or an ~+29% vs. the base LS.]

If you ask me, GM has got the base LS pricing screwed up and will inevitibly raise it...soon.

LS @ GM Supplier ~$22,550

JoeySS/RS 06-10-2009 09:14 PM

I was speaking to the fleet manager at the GM dealership that I ordered my Camaro from and he was saying the bolting pattern on the LT and SS was different than the LS ... is that true?

bub 06-10-2009 09:28 PM

I would highly doubt it.

One would think this would be standardized, but I would bet that someone here can confirm with a simple measurement or shop P/N lookup for a LS vs. LT hub.

The rim bead diameter size is definitely different (18" vs. 20"), but the rolling OD is near identical when you consider the tire profile and tread (thus no change to the speedo):

RS = 245 55 R 18

vs.

SS Rear = 275 40 R 20 (SS rear)

2 x (.55 x 245/25.4) + 18 ~28.61" rolling OD

2 x (.40 x 275/25.4) + 20 ~ 28.66" rolling OD

28.66/28.61 = 1.00245, or within 1/4% of same, thus 55 mph on SS = 55.1 MPH on RS (negligible)

stovt001 06-10-2009 09:29 PM

I know someone else around here has a Corvette and was considering keeping the Vette and buying an LS as a daily driver. I think that is a great idea. I wish I could do it. 29 mpg on the weekdays and insane high performance on the weekends sounds good to me.

bub 06-10-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeySS/RS (Post 573085)
I was speaking to the fleet manager at the GM dealership that I ordered my Camaro from and he was saying the bolting pattern on the LT and SS was different than the LS ... is that true?

I bet it can't be true. GM lists the exact same 21's for the LS as for the LT & SS as GM Dealer installed aftermarket.

bub 06-10-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 573140)
I know someone else around here has a Corvette and was considering keeping the Vette and buying an LS as a daily driver. I think that is a great idea. I wish I could do it. 29 mpg on the weekdays and insane high performance on the weekends sounds good to me.

Giddyup.

Still like the 2LT interior better tho., plus the Boston rocks.

Mr_Draco 06-10-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bub (Post 572991)
Some Q's:

1) Does anyone know if the wiring harness is installed to permit installing fog lamps in a LS?

What about the dash switch? Is it the same?

I have to assume this could be done for under $300.

2) Per my calcs all wheel and tire combos have essentially the same rolling outside diameter, thus they are interchangeable in that regard without having to reprogram the speedo.

What bout the bolt pattern? I assume all trims are identical.

There are factory 20's all over eBay. For $1,500 you would have the RS wheels and tires + an RS set.

3) I assume one can order the RS spoiler from GM parts and paint to match? How does it attach? Adhesive tape or drilled holes? Seems like I have seen stripe paint jobs with it removed and there are holes.

4) What about the Halo's? Probably cost prohibitive.

5) RS Badging? No biggie there.

No messing with the black rubber roof ditch.

Just pondering what it would take to make an LS look like a 1LT RS.

1) It was my understanding that the wiring harnesses for the LS are different from the one used in the LT/SS. The knobs will be different as they have a different knob for those that have the RS package and those that don't. The knob won't be expansive ($50-$75 at most) but the harness and getting it installed will cost a pretty penny. Total I expect the cost for this to be easily double if not closer to $1,000. Not to mention that if something goes wrong it wont be covered by the warranty and it will come out of your pocket. It will also deny the warranty on anything attached to the wiring harness so they won't be covered as well.

2) Yea a set of 20's will cost you about $1,500

3) It will cost about $500 total for the spoiler and to get it painted and installed.

4) There are threads on here where people didnt want the RS package and thought they could just get the Hid/Halos by themselves for cheaper. Boy was they wrong. They all reported that the cost of the HID/Halo's are about $600 per side and cost about $200-$300 install, $1,400-$1,500 total. Again will not be under warranty.

If you want the true RS experience with an LS, you'll actually spend about $4,500. Without the HID/Halo's you'll still spend about $3,000. Imo, with the cost difference being so close, it's worth it to upgrade to a 1LT/RS to save the headache and possible warranty issues (well the loss of a warranty).

bub 06-10-2009 10:00 PM

Here's some info on the wheel bolt pattern...

"This is a set of four 2010 Camaro wheels and tires from an SS car with the "RS" package. They are 20" x 8" in the front, and 20" x 9" in the rear. The Tires are factory Pirelli P Zero's with 245/45ZR20's in the front, and 275/40ZR20's in the rear. They are brand new, have never been driven on, except for the delivery of the car to the Dealership. There are three types of finish for these same wheels. The standard 20" rim for an SS car is sterling silver painted finish, when "RS" is ordered, the painted finish is midnight silver, and an optional finish is the polished finish. These are MIDNIGHT SILVER finish for an RS. Notice in the pictures how the inside of the rims are painted almost a black color. These are factory condition, never touched or damaged, and will fit any 2010 Camaro. Their bolt pattern is 5 x 4.75, or 5 x 120.7mm. These will actually fit any year Camaro, Corvette, etc... With the exception of offset, which varies from car to car, year to year. They include the tire pressure sensors, center caps, etc..."

Vash 06-10-2009 10:01 PM

I tend to agree if you want that loaded look get a loaded car.

The point is LS are the rarest model right now and you want to look different.. not pose.

LS does not need to pose. Just needs some rims and custom exhaust.

Everyone has RS. To me the LS stands out because there are fewer looking like it than looking like loaded models. It's a simple elegance.

bub 06-10-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 573214)
Imo, with the cost difference being so close, it's worth it to upgrade to a 1LT/RS to save the headache and possible warranty issues (well the loss of a warranty).

I don't disagree.

1LT RS probably warrants a second look.

Who am I kidding...by the end of the day, I'll end up with a fully loaded LS3 2SS RS...:sm0: