Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What Oil to use after engine rebuild? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331446)

InfernoLS3 12-06-2013 04:22 AM

What Oil to use after engine rebuild?

So after my cam install and dyno tune i noticed on the way back home that my oil pressure was at ZERO! or a bit higher, The funny thing that i didn't get the "turn of the engine" message and i didn't notice the pressure until i was 2 blocks away from home, i thought it was only the sensor that went bad and that's why i didn't get the message :iono: next day i start it up and heard lifters noise :bellyroll: after taking it back to the shop it turns out that the oil pump has failed "which was melling HV", a lifter was broken and the cam bearings with the cam itself was damaged! so we decided to change them all and i've also changed the rod bearings, pistons rings and oil pump.

Now what oil to use for the first startup and what oil to use for break-in Procedure? my engine builder is telling me that i've to use 20w50 non synthetic oil, I know i've to use a non-synthetic oil for first startup and break-in but isn't that too thick for a newly rebuilt engine? What oil are you guys using after your engine has been rebuilt?

JCunningham 12-06-2013 04:40 AM

BREAK IN OIL Joe Gibbs BK or Amsoil break in oil. it has the zink you need http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3949-jo...FSISMwodQGwAyQ
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BRKQT-EA

376LS3 12-06-2013 05:10 AM

Oh my gosh....a Melling failed???? Anyway, run what JC listed above.

Iam Broke 12-06-2013 08:06 AM

Prob the o-ring, no?

Nightmare2012 12-06-2013 08:11 AM

Joe Gibbs or am soil break in after that ls30 at least that's what tsp recommended me.

Spartan01 12-06-2013 08:15 AM

Amsoil, all the way!

litle88 12-06-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoLS3 (Post 7240567)
So after my cam install and dyno tune i noticed on the way back home that my oil pressure was at ZERO! or a bit higher, The funny thing that i didn't get the "turn of the engine" message and i didn't notice the pressure until i was 2 blocks away from home, i thought it was only the sensor that went bad and that's why i didn't get the message :iono: next day i start it up and heard lifters noise :bellyroll: after taking it back to the shop it turns out that the oil pump has failed "which was melling HV", a lifter was broken and the cam bearings with the cam itself was damaged! so we decided to change them all and i've also changed the rod bearings, pistons rings and oil pump.

Now what oil to use for the first startup and what oil to use for break-in Procedure? my engine builder is telling me that i've to use 20w50 non synthetic oil, I know i've to use a non-synthetic oil for first startup and break-in but isn't that too thick for a newly rebuilt engine? What oil are you guys using after your engine has been rebuilt?

I've never seen an oil pump fail from new, Not even a stock pump. I have heard of a stock pump fail after a cam install. I'd make sure that they did install a melling.

Secondly ANY builder is going to give you precise instructions on how to properly breakin their build and how to maintain it after. I'd call them and make sure and STICK to their instructions.

ssmike 12-06-2013 10:27 AM

It seems that every time i see a thread about a failed oil pump, stock or Melling, it's after a cam swap and using the wrong oil! The cam fails and the metal destroys the pump.

InfernoLS3 12-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCunningham (Post 7240570)
BREAK IN OIL Joe Gibbs BK or Amsoil break in oil. it has the zink you need http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3949-jo...FSISMwodQGwAyQ
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=BRKQT-EA

Quote:

Originally Posted by 376LS3 (Post 7240587)
Oh my gosh....a Melling failed???? Anyway, run what JC listed above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iam Broke (Post 7240788)
Prob the o-ring, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 (Post 7240799)
Joe Gibbs or am soil break in after that ls30 at least that's what tsp recommended me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan01 (Post 7240811)
Amsoil, all the way!

Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30! I might have been runnig out of pressure for a couple of minutes I don't know why the message didn't appear It really sucks! the car Isn't at the states right now It's In the middle east they don't have Amsoil neither Joe Gibbs :iono: they only got mobil1 "Synthetic and non-synthetic" and castrol "Synthetic and non-synthetic", redline and pennzoil is available but it 's synthetic and that's not good for a newly rebuilt engine! So I'm stuck with mobil and castrol but don't know what to choose! and what thickness is right! :frusty:

InfernoLS3 12-06-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 7240966)
I've never seen an oil pump fail from new, Not even a stock pump. I have heard of a stock pump fail after a cam install. I'd make sure that they did install a melling.

Secondly ANY builder is going to give you precise instructions on how to properly breakin their build and how to maintain it after. I'd call them and make sure and STICK to their instructions.

The thing Is, he told me that the oil pump fails and caused the damage because of using a thin oil "mobil1 10w30" and he's telling mo that I've to use a thick oil "like mobil 20w50 or anything 20w50", someone's correct me If i'm wrong, but Isn't the clearences tight In my situation? "newly rebuilt engine" which needs a thinner oil not a thicker one! :iono:

InfernoLS3 12-06-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike (Post 7241125)
It seems that every time i see a thread about a failed oil pump, stock or Melling, it's after a cam swap and using the wrong oil! The cam fails and the metal destroys the pump.

You're correct! :frusty:

Synner 12-06-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoLS3 (Post 7241434)
Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30!

Right because every car that comes off the assembly line with Mobil1 implodes in 10 miles. Your builder screwed something up and wants a scapegoat. It was probably the o-ring or they didn't center the pump on the snout properly.

Swapping a camshaft does not change a bearing tolerance ANYWHERE.

10aSSee D 12-06-2013 04:30 PM

I will be using mobil 1 15w50 per Andy at ADM but this is on my 417 build.

litle88 12-06-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoLS3 (Post 7241434)
Thanks guys, my engine builder told me It was because of the oil I've been using which was mobil1 10w30! I might have been runnig out of pressure for a couple of minutes I don't know why the message didn't appear It really sucks! the car Isn't at the states right now It's In the middle east they don't have Amsoil neither Joe Gibbs :iono: they only got mobil1 "Synthetic and non-synthetic" and castrol "Synthetic and non-synthetic", redline and pennzoil is available but it 's synthetic and that's not good for a newly rebuilt engine! So I'm stuck with mobil and castrol but don't know what to choose! and what thickness is right! :frusty:

Everything he said is BULLSHIT! Who installed this? Some whacky Iraqy!