Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Navigation system with i pod integration options (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22556)

chevydude26 05-12-2009 10:21 PM

Navigation system with i pod integration options

I really really like the look of the camaro's interior...but i don't like that onstar crap...i would prefer to see maps and not have to deal with somebody giving me directions on the phone

perhaps if gm actually offered a regular navigation option instead of hiring telemarketers maybe they would have more reserves in the bank...just saying

but anyway what can i do custom wise that won't destroy the sleek look of the interior??? its going to have to be something like a pop up screen but that area is so small i can't see it being possible

viper612 05-12-2009 10:22 PM

I added a simple Garmin GPS and mounted next to the mirror, it looks cool and if functional.

ArcAngel 05-12-2009 10:22 PM

Bro your gonna have a hard time doing anything custom with that stereo setup.

ArcAngel 05-12-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper612 (Post 482271)
I added a simple Garmin GPS and mounted next to the mirror, it looks cool and if functional.

Sorry that would be a negative for me, shite i dont like radar detectors clogging up the look of my car or sat radio recievers

chevydude26 05-12-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper612 (Post 482271)

thats the thing i don't want want something clunky just sticking out...i'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to appearances

PQ 05-12-2009 10:27 PM

How bout an iPhone. Mine works better than my Tom Tom and my Magellan.

GoldBowtie 05-12-2009 10:33 PM

IMHO, GM was smart not spending any money on NAV. for Camaro. It's obsolete (vs. aftermarket units) before it's out -- not to mention lousy use of dash space. I've had GM systems in '03 CTS and 07 Tahoe -- not worth anything close to the $2500 price.

If you see a benefit in NAV, you're better off with a good aftermarket unit.

levi1922 05-12-2009 10:34 PM

with on star, you can still SEE the directions!
just imagine the world as full of bent arrows.

PQ 05-12-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levi1922 (Post 482332)
with on star, you can still SEE the directions!
just imagine the world as full of bent arrows.

:laugh:

ArcAngel 05-12-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldBowtie (Post 482328)
IMHO, GM was smart not spending any money on NAV. for Camaro. It's obsolete (vs. aftermarket units) before it's out -- not to mention lousy use of dash space. I've had GM systems in '03 CTS and 07 Tahoe -- not worth anything close to the $2500 price.

If you see a benefit in NAV, you're better off with a good aftermarket unit.

Thats actually incorrect some automakers units now get OTA (or sometimes in house) software updates and are never obsolete, like Fords new navi with sync and I believe Audi as well.

chevydude26 05-12-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irpq11 (Post 482294)
How bout an iPhone. Mine works better than my Tom Tom and my Magellan.

thats what i meant...but my iphone screen is too small and requires me to look away from the road to view it correctly...with a proper sized gps all it takes is a quick glance to know the right turn is .5 miles away

i'd also like to integrate the whole iphone into the navigation system where you can go through individual songs and what not...

i know i know i'm picky...but this is literally my only gripe with the car

JDBeck23 05-13-2009 02:37 AM

the iphone is the best all in one solution out right now between, music, internet and GPS navigation. As soon as they release the iPhone OS 3.0, the GPS nav available for the iPhone will go through the roof as far as peformance... That's what I plan on using!

Vole182 05-13-2009 02:59 AM

iPhone? Just go straight to google with a G1 :respekt:

Matrix 05-13-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevydude26 (Post 482266)
I really really like the look of the camaro's interior...but i don't like that onstar crap...i would prefer to see maps and not have to deal with somebody giving me directions on the phone

perhaps if gm actually offered a regular navigation option instead of hiring telemarketers maybe they would have more reserves in the bank...just saying
but anyway what can i do custom wise that won't destroy the sleek look of the interior??? its going to have to be something like a pop up screen but that area is so small i can't see it being possible

huh? :iono: