Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wheels/stance/ride height (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103)

Heelz2315 08-11-2006 06:36 PM

Wheels/stance/ride height

I was thinking....will the wheels on the concept be the ones on the production car? Also, the ones on the concept are different sizes, that gives the car a very mean, agressive stance......wonder if they will keep the wheels, stance the same on the production?

camaro2009 08-11-2006 09:58 PM

I hope they stick with the offset sizes too. At least a 19" in rear, and maybe a 18" in front, they cant go wrong with a big rim.

Bruno 08-17-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heelz2315
I was thinking....will the wheels on the concept be the ones on the production car? Also, the ones on the concept are different sizes, that gives the car a very mean, agressive stance......wonder if they will keep the wheels, stance the same on the production?

I'd love to see that, the wheels on the concept are beautiful and fit the shape and look of the car just right. Since the production car will look almost exactly like the concept car why not go with the same look wheels too. :D

Urthman 08-17-2006 07:26 AM

Since they said it would be almost exactly like the concept I hope they keep the wheels too. They're one of my favorite aspects of the exterior design. It definitely looks mean.

lq30 08-17-2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro2009
I hope they stick with the offset sizes too. At least a 19" in rear, and maybe a 18" in front, they cant go wrong with a big rim.

wonder what the concept wheels would look like smaller tho. aren't they 20" and 21" on the concept? biggest they'd go is probably 19" on the production car :confused:

TAG UR IT 08-17-2006 10:08 AM

It would be nice if they were offset. But, let's look at the cost of replacing those nice tires. If you have offset, you can't do anything but rotate the two from right to left (IF THEY AREN'T DIRECTIONAL). I'd rather have 19's or 20's on all 4 corners. Keep'em all the same for money reasons...

2001ragtop 08-17-2006 12:21 PM

If the final car has the dimensions of the show car, I think it is safe to assume 17 or 18 rims. Whatever the rims are that are on the new GTO or the Holden are probably the size they will be using.

Most people don't know this, but when a car has 18" rims, they have to soften the suspension to compensate so your rims don't get so easily bent when you hit a pothole. They do this on the new mustang GT if it's ordered with 18" rims. It has a different suspension.

I am also pretty sure the suspension is softer on dodge trucks that come factory with 20" rims based on how it felt when I drove one.

KILLER74Z28 08-17-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001ragtop
If the final car has the dimensions of the show car, I think it is safe to assume 17 or 18 rims. Whatever the rims are that are on the new GTO or the Holden are probably the size they will be using.

Most people don't know this, but when a car has 18" rims, they have to soften the suspension to compensate so your rims don't get so easily bent when you hit a pothole. They do this on the new mustang GT if it's ordered with 18" rims. It has a different suspension.

I am also pretty sure the suspension is softer on dodge trucks that come factory with 20" rims based on how it felt when I drove one.

Sorry no disrespect, but I am going to have to call you out on this, trust me I know. Like I mentioned before my former employer was smack dab in the middle of the MotorCity. We never made the suspension softer on a sport coupe if the rims increased in size. The whole reason for larger rims is for performance (and I am not talking Bling Bling rims ether). That was the biggest complaint by the customers after buying the top of the line coupe “The ride is to stiff” well no sh** you bought a 400+ horse street legal race car, what did you expect… Now on the high end luxury sedans, yes we would soften the suspension for a better ride if it had larger rims, but we would still get complaints. You want a softer ride by a V6 with 16 in rims (larger side walls)…

2001ragtop 08-17-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28
Sorry no disrespect, but I am going to have to call you out on this, trust me I know. Like I mentioned before my former employer was smack dab in the middle of the MotorCity. We never made the suspension softer on a sport coupe if the rims increased in size. The whole reason for larger rims is for performance (and I am not talking Bling Bling rims ether). That was the biggest complaint by the customers after buying the top of the line coupe “The ride is to stiff” well no sh** you bought a 400+ horse street legal race car, what did you expect… Now on the high end luxury sedans, yes we would soften the suspension for a better ride if it had larger rims, but we would still get complaints. You want a softer ride by a V6 with 16 in rims (larger side walls)…

I agree with you on the above.
But they do use "unique suspension tuning" on the new mustang if it's ordered with 18" rims.
I will try to find out exactly what that means. I assumed its softer because the v6 model itself has a stiff ride. (rented one before for a day).

Twin Turbo 08-18-2006 03:05 PM

I'm guessing only the top end models will get 20" rims as standard. Anything less than 19" is going to get lost in those arches. A good wheel size is the finishing touch to a great design.

JustinZS 09-16-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heelz2315 (Post 701)

Even if they don't you can always easiliy get aftermarket wheels that are different sizes for front and rear. :thumbsup:

Moose 09-16-2006 06:24 PM

The production model will not have the huge rims like the concept has. I've heard 18's rear, 17's front. ;)

MarkLS2 09-16-2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 1450)
The production model will not have the huge rims like the concept has. I've heard 18's rear, 17's front. ;)

I personally think the wheels on the concept are just a bit too big. But I would like to come close to them without going to the over-the-top size of the concept car's 20". I think 19" wheels may be perfect for this car (from a looks standpoint)..

Moose 09-16-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkLS2 (Post 1451)
I personally think the wheels on the concept are just a bit too big. But I would like to come close to them without going to the over-the-top size of the concept car's 20". I think 19" wheels may be perfect for this car (from a looks standpoint)..

19" R/ 18" F OK with me! :thumbsup:

I'll bet there'll be a couple of wheel options available. ;)