Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Oil separator (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295678)

kansjfr 05-15-2013 12:54 PM

Oil separator

I noticed on a thread on here that one guy's car came from the factory with an oil separator. Is this correct, or is it something he had the dealer install upon delivery? My dealer never said anything about it, and I never noticed any kit in the trunk. So, do they come with an oil separator, or is that something we put on aftermarket?

Nick S 05-15-2013 01:07 PM

Should have come with the car. Dealer isn't supposed to install it for street use. Supposed to be for track use only. If they lost it or didn't put it with the car then they should have to order you one. Might want to check the truck for it. I know the front splitter ships loose inside the car and the dealer has to install that and they are supposed to give you the separator and the install instructions with it.

MPHS_AGM 05-15-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick S (Post 6547263)
Should have come with the car. Dealer isn't supposed to install it for street use. Supposed to be for track use only. If they lost it or didn't put it with the car then they should have to order you one. Might want to check the truck for it. I know the front splitter ships loose inside the car and the dealer has to install that and they are supposed to give you the separator and the install instructions with it.

Yep! Mine was in the trunk at delivery. I can provide a picture of the box and contents if your dealer gives you any problems. PM me if you need this.

Tara Martin 05-15-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansjfr (Post 6547223)
I noticed on a thread on here that one guy's car came from the factory with an oil separator. Is this correct, or is it something he had the dealer install upon delivery? My dealer never said anything about it, and I never noticed any kit in the trunk. So, do they come with an oil separator, or is that something we put on aftermarket?

My dealer didn't read the instructions, and installed mine anyway. I've kept it on since new. They then kept my original oil cap and vent line. I had to go back and demand the parts back.:paddle:

Tara

Jims Mongoose 05-15-2013 06:25 PM

Okay what does it do?

What does this oil separator accomplish. Don't say separates oil, LOL.:biggrin:

Jim:pound:

slick rick 05-15-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose (Post 6548514)
What does this oil separator accomplish. Don't say separates oil, LOL.:biggrin:

Jim:pound:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=2

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS3DALE (Post 5716721)
Camaro 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit

The increased handling performance of the 2013 Camaro with the 1LE performance package can generate some off-road or track conditions where engine oil can be ingested into the air cleaner through the fresh air tube that connects the port within the right valve cover to the air cleaner. The Chevrolet Performance Positive Crankcase Vent (PCV) oil separator kit can improve this condition. It’s a standard part of the 1LE performance package.

gajagfan 05-15-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tara Martin (Post 6548252)
My dealer didn't read the instructions, and installed mine anyway. I've kept it on since new. They then kept my original oil cap and vent line. I had to go back and demand the parts back.:paddle:

Tara

Is it possible that the dealer did install it and OP does not realize it because he, much like Tara did not get the original equipment with the car?

Jims Mongoose 05-15-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks Slick Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick rick (Post 6548590)

Thanks for the knowledge:thanks:

Jim:bonk:

kansjfr 05-16-2013 11:06 PM

Ok, silly me; I found it in a box in the trunk that I somehow didn't notice before. I'll probably never be tracking my car; should I go ahead and put it on for regular street driving, and if so, how often do you have to drain it?

coreyaustin17 05-17-2013 12:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kansjfr (Post 6553829)
Ok, silly me; I found it in a box in the trunk that I somehow didn't notice before. I'll probably never be tracking my car; should I go ahead and put it on for regular street driving, and if so, how often do you have to drain it?

i would def recommend some type of "catchcan" the stock one to me looks like a coffee mug and is not very aesthetically pleasing but a "catchcan" or oil seperator is probably one of the best and smartest mods to do to your car it will help protect your engine in the long run from the sludge and gunk that can occur and these LS motors are notorious for ingesting oil vapor

i myself went with a dual valve catchcan from rev extreme and vented both driver and passenger side of the crank by adding a tee into the inlet line i continuously get a couple teaspoons of oil every time i check it every thousand or so which if not for the catchcan would end up being re ingested into my intake manifold

Bauer2 05-17-2013 12:47 AM

Put the factory one on and get an after market one either rx or elite and poor it on the other side. The factory one doesn't need draining the after market one will. They actually clean different sides.

Sent from the fast lane!

coreyaustin17 05-17-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauer2 (Post 6554055)
Put the factory one on and get an after market one either rx or elite and poor it on the other side. The factory one doesn't need draining the after market one will. They actually clean different sides.

Sent from the fast lane!

you can get the rx dual catchcan and clean both sides as well

Bauer2 05-17-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 (Post 6554157)
you can get the rx dual catchcan and clean both sides as well

True or you could save some money and just use the factory one that doesn't look that bad imo.

coreyaustin17 05-17-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauer2 (Post 6554193)
True or you could save some money and just use the factory one that doesn't look that bad imo.

the factory one doesnt clean both sides of the crankcase does it?