Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Auto or manual (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315921)

Turtle8001 08-30-2013 08:23 PM

Auto or manual

Well the bottom line is I would like some in put fro all you guys with either. I want a manual wife wants an auto(she can't drive a manual). Auto guys how do you like them, manual guys the same. This is a toy not a dd.

URBAN LEGEND 08-30-2013 08:44 PM

Word of advice:

Make your own decision. You will get the A6 camp saying A6 FTW followed by the M6 crowd saying M6 FTW.

So you will be on your own anyway.

dixonk 08-30-2013 08:54 PM

Wife can't drive a manual. Think you answered your own question. Get the manual and save your wheels from curb rash and misc dings and scratches that seem to occur when wives drive the car.

On a serious note not quite sure if there is a difference in the auto vs manual motors. On the SS there is and I would not recommend going that route. I ended up swapping for a manual car because I was never happy.

swizlstik 08-30-2013 08:56 PM

I have a manual and wish that I would have gotten the auto.

Craig B 08-30-2013 09:21 PM

Manual is more fun on the street. In traffic it can suck. Your choice.

CAM....ZL1 08-30-2013 09:40 PM

I got the auto so the wife can drive, no dents or scratches and she does give it hell sometimes, well hell for her anyway. Would not change if I could. I like the idea of a stick, but the auto makes more sense. I can still paddle shift.

Turtle8001 08-30-2013 09:43 PM

Swizlstik what has changed made you want the auto? My big concern is the performance with the auto. I have read on here guys are very happy with both.

Turtle8001 08-30-2013 09:45 PM

Cam that is what worries me. My wife is NOT afraid of speed.

ZL1Dave 08-30-2013 10:32 PM

As far as the auto trans goes...I will say its the best auto trans I have ever driven with in any car. I have no regrets about getting it. It's very responsive with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel in manual mode and I feel as if its almost the best of both worlds. Chevy even had the auto being slightly quicker and faster top speed over the manual with the numbers they released with the car. I also haven't heard of any of the other guys with the auto having anything bad to say about their experience with it as well. A few owners with the manual have reported having problems between gears with some grinding noises and roughness. Either way you'll be please no matter what trans you go with.

Sven59 08-30-2013 10:42 PM

The auto is fantastic, also good for us decrepit old men.

SSTAT 08-30-2013 10:46 PM

None of us could drive a stick until we learned. Teach her! The only reason for not being able to drive a stick is if she is missing an arm or a leg... which I hope she isn't or this joke is going to turn out very badly for me...

ffcars 08-30-2013 11:16 PM

I fell in LOVE with the 6-speed manual ZL1 the minute I drove it. The car really is a lot of fun to drive and I wouldn't buy an auto unless I was disabled or had to commute daily in the car.

As for your wife driving a manual, it's never too late. The ZL1 has hill assist which takes away the biggest problem for new manual drivers.

Here's a suggestion. Find a friend with a manual transmission with hill-assist, like a Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-present). Have her drive it around in a parking lot and then let her see what she thinks. Even if she doesn't like it, she learned to drive a manual which I think should be a requirement for every person who drives. You never know when you have to drive a drunk friend's manual car home.

Good luck.

Mick1 08-30-2013 11:32 PM

i think if you have to ask this question then you should get the auto. It's easier to find one.
Me, I only like to drive a manual, so if a car doesn't have a manual, I don't buy it. Just my personal preference.

ninsecgt 08-31-2013 12:19 AM

auto all the way

the auto has a higher top end (184mph) and is 2/10 quicker to 60 stock according to factory specs. my car is all stock except for a factory replacement k/n air filter and it does just fine for the street.