Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Well we know the new camaro is going to tear apart any mustang (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6851)

13F20 09-17-2008 08:11 PM

I can tell you that Lingenfilter and SLP will be doing something. What it is no one knows yet. Any time a company builds a hot item like this there is always someone that does the same thing.
Ford: Saleen, Roush, Shelby
Dodge: Hennessey
Chevrolet: SLP, Lingenfilter
Mercedes: AMG, Brabus
BMW: AC Schnitzer, Alpena

JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR 09-17-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13F20 (Post 132216)
I can tell you that Lingenfilter and SLP will be doing something. What it is no one knows yet. Any time a company builds a hot item like this there is always someone that does the same thing.
Ford: Saleen, Roush, Shelby
Dodge: Hennessey
Chevrolet: SLP, Lingenfilter
Mercedes: AMG, Brabus
BMW: AC Schnitzer, Alpena

SLP Performance Parts!!!

JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR 09-17-2008 08:31 PM

hey is it lingenfilter or felter?

SS4EVER 09-17-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR (Post 132230)
hey is it lingenfilter or felter?

It's LINGENFELTER.

Hopefully Mallet performance comes out with something as well! :)

nester7929 09-17-2008 09:01 PM

I've said it many times. If the SS starts at any more than 32k, it will fail and fail hard. The entire reason it went away in '02 is because it wasn't priced competitively with the Mustang. Even if it has better features, the typical salesman doesn't know how to explain or compare them; the price tag is all most people will look at.

DGthe3 09-17-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nester7929 (Post 132250)
I've said it many times. If the SS starts at any more than 32k, it will fail and fail hard. The entire reason it went away in '02 is because it wasn't priced competitively with the Mustang. Even if it has better features, the typical salesman doesn't know how to explain or compare them; the price tag is all most people will look at.

Umm, in 2002 a Z28 cost less than a GT: $22 830 vs $23 220. And I believe the Z28 outperformed the Mustang as well.

13F20 09-17-2008 11:08 PM

Does any one remember that the Camaro 4th gen was killing corvette sales during that time? People were getting the Camaro and doing little mods and were performing better and running better. That was part of the reason the car was stopped, but not the whole reason.

radz28 09-17-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLHMARINES (Post 132161)
I was told by a person who works with the show and display folks at GM about 6 months ago during a show, that the production convertible was stunning in person. He also said that the high horsepower version of the camaro would be coming out a little after the launch of the convertible and that the power level was about 525 hp. He also said that due to the pending cafe changes that these high powered cars would not be offered for a very long production run. This guy seemed to be a reliable source especially when he said that he had sat in on a meeting about the camaro. He also told me about the billet gas cap being offered way before it was released by gm or shown in print anywhere.

I'am not saying it is fact, but just that it could still be possible.

If gm offered a lsa 6.2 thru gmg or slp, would this be counted under gm's cafe or be counted as a aftermarket tuner exemption or something? Anyone know how this would work?

I think I just found my new best friend, LOL!!! :wave::chevy:

Jiu Jitsu Jon 09-18-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13F20 (Post 132346)
Does any one remember that the Camaro 4th gen was killing corvette sales during that time? People were getting the Camaro and doing little mods and were performing better and running better. That was part of the reason the car was stopped, but not the whole reason.

Yeah, don't mess with those Vette guys and their mid life crisis. Nothing good can come from that. LOL...j/k.

Shifty 6 09-18-2008 10:24 AM

1) The camaro was NOT cancelled because it outsold or outperformed another GM product. It was cancelled because they did not sell well enough to justify the continued production. GM "likes money, they have a little, they want more of it."

2) From 1993 on the camaro has always outperformed the mustang on every level, with exception to 2-3 iterations. The camaro v6 always beat the mustang v6. The camaro v8 always beat the mustang v8, and the SS would run with the "cobra" or svt.

3) Yes we will need to mod the SS to run with the GT500, but you will only have to spend $2-3K to do it. Dollar for Dollar...with the same amount of money the camaro would win.

SS4EVER 09-18-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty 6 (Post 132506)
1) The camaro was NOT cancelled because it outsold or outperformed another GM product. It was cancelled because they did not sell well enough to justify the continued production. GM "likes money, they have a little, they want more of it."

Yes, and for that reason among many, was why the Camaro/Firebird were killed. Not to mention that the F-body was pretty much obsolete by 2002, and a new platform was needed. Then the "Geniuses" over at GM figured, let's come out with new products like the SSR, and the Pontiac GTO a year and two later to replace them... And yeah... look what happened there. They were better off just keeping the Camaro and Firebird around, and maybe using them off of the Monaro's platform, although that was seeing the last of it's days too...

Oh well, hey the important thing is the Camaro is coming back! And looking better then ever!

ZeeTwentyFour 09-18-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Congoman775 (Post 131711)
thats bph, not whp.

Ill give ford credit.

they own the big dog from the factory.

That being said. modded car threads are worthless so Ford still gets big dog kudos.

But if you think the SS wont spank the GT500 after 3k worth of mods, none of which include a supercharger, than your in lala land.

520 hp 3800lbs vs. 500hp 3950lbs

That being said. Modded car threads are worthless. Ford still has the big dog here, so kudos to them.

yes indeed they do have a mighty powerful car form the factory. BUT its not the best handling pony in the stable, read any magazine or online video review they all say the same thing. So even if the camaro cant get 520BHP we could get as close as possible and then out handle them. there are other styles of racing besides drag racing, Trans am revival anyone;)

Congoman775 09-18-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour (Post 132534)
yes indeed they do have a mighty powerful car form the factory. BUT its not the best handling pony in the stable, read any magazine or online video review they all say the same thing. So even if the camaro cant get 520BHP we could get as close as possible and then out handle them. there are other styles of racing besides drag racing, Trans am revival anyone;)

definately, the Camaro will be the BETTER CAR. Ford just took their plastic box and droped a supercharger in it.

after 5k worth of mods, i cant think of anything within the price range that can tango with an SS

headpunter 09-18-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty 6 (Post 132506)

2) From 1993 on the camaro has always outperformed the mustang on every level, with exception to 2-3 iterations. The camaro v6 always beat the mustang v6. The camaro v8 always beat the mustang v8, and the SS would run with the "cobra" or svt.

3) Yes we will need to mod the SS to run with the GT500, but you will only have to spend $2-3K to do it. Dollar for Dollar...with the same amount of money the camaro would win.

also because the union contract where they were being made was raping GM. because as sales went up the union kept pushing for more and more money. it also had an exclusivity deal that the camaro could only be made by workers in that specific area.