Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   unexpected surprise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288769)

Iroczlover 04-11-2013 08:06 PM

unexpected surprise

this morning I get a phone call at 6am normally I do not answer the phone, but noticed it was my son. first words out of his mouth was "Mom, they are shipping me home." ME "WTF????"

OK my son is just a month (if not less) on his first permant base (he joined the USAF in july of 2011 & left for basic July 2012.

ME: OK why are they shipping you home?
My son: "for grandpa funeral"
ME: what???

My dad passed away the day before easter & his funeral is tomorrow. I had told mike to save his leave & come home in July for his dad's retirement (my husband is being forced to retire from the USAFR after 26yrs years)

So instead of just having my husband & my daughter go with me to my dad's funeral it will be the whole family.

CHMSC 04-11-2013 08:13 PM

That's good he is coming home for the funeral. I think they don't have to use vacation if its for a family death, but I could be wrong.

Iroczlover 04-11-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 6413372)
That's good he is coming home for the funeral. I think they don't have to use vacation if its for a family death, but I could be wrong.

He has to use his own leave, They are giving him 5 days, that will give us enough time to finish going through my dad's stuff (since my dad left everything to my two kids & my older niece)

Steve Dallas 04-11-2013 08:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Good to hear he's coming home for this though.

Iroczlover 04-11-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Dallas (Post 6413421)
Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Good to hear he's coming home for this though.

thanks Dennis, I didnt want him to, he needs to save his leave for July. July is more important

Frid 04-11-2013 08:32 PM

Yep. Emergency leave comes out of his saved leave. Glad that the family will be there for the funeral and sorry to hear of the passing of your dad too.

Iroczlover 04-11-2013 08:34 PM

I am thinking that they are letting him come, more so because my dad is being full military honors at his funeral.

Frid 04-11-2013 08:36 PM

I took leave when my grandmother passed away. Usually if your commander is cool about it and if you were attached to that person pretty well, they'll sign off on it. I took a week and had only been at that duty station for little over a month.

Iroczlover 04-11-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frid (Post 6413466)
I took leave when my grandmother passed away. Usually if your commander is cool about it and if you were attached to that person pretty well, they'll sign off on it. I took a week and had only been at that duty station for little over a month.

He didnt know really his grandfather, I think He knows this is rough on me, even though I had a very touchy relationship with my father, because he didnt want me around he wanted my two sisters. but I still was the only one who had contact with him over 23yrs

Frid 04-11-2013 08:42 PM

Gotcha :(

trewyn15 04-11-2013 08:47 PM

I'm glad for you that he gets to come home, even if he does have to use some of his own leave time. It will be nice to have him home in a hard time!

PIPE 04-12-2013 11:37 AM

Im sorry to hear about youre Father's passing. My prayers to you and youre family. It is wonderful news youre son will be able to attend. From what info I'm gathering he has to use saved time to attend his own grandfathers funeral? WTF kinda Bs crap is that? You mean to tell me that the Federal Government doesnt give bereavment to United states service members? That honestly pisses me off.

Iroczlover 04-12-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIPE (Post 6415535)
Im sorry to hear about youre Father's passing. My prayers to you and youre family. It is wonderful news youre son will be able to attend. From what info I'm gathering he has to use saved time to attend his own grandfathers funeral? WTF kinda Bs crap is that? You mean to tell me that the Federal Government doesnt give bereavment to United states service members? That honestly pisses me off.

no they do not, Not only that if you are a federal Employee you do not have bereavment either, unless you use your sick leave.

heck my work ( I work for the school district) gave me 5 days off paid, then I had spring break off as well.

ec1990 04-12-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIPE (Post 6415535)

Military earns 2.5 days of leave per month, you can go in the hole (negative) if need be and you can also get emergency leave if necessary which is 2 weeks usually but still counts toward your leave balance. It's not too bad most people have quite a few days saved up and most good commanders will recommend saving a minimum of 15 days at any time, 30 once you're in a few years, but overall it's not too bad.

Tis the life of being in the military.

OP sorry to hijack, but thats great that he got his leave approved.