Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Modding With No Tune?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313784)

maxcamaro 08-19-2013 09:07 AM

Modding With No Tune??

Is it worth modding my V6 camaro even if I don't put a tune on it?
I was going to install a CAI, performance tires, and an exhaust system but I don't know which one i want to get yet. I'm going to tune it eventually but after my warranty is over. Is it worth modding now or should I just wait until I'm ready to tune it?

RolltideSS 08-19-2013 09:08 AM

None of those things require a tune so get busy :thumb:

SlingShot 08-19-2013 10:17 AM

You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.

2fullgarage 08-19-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6915010)
You won't gain all that much, the LS is designed for MPG ... But if it makes you feel better, others have done it as well.

What is not that much? please elaborate how adding a CAI (CAI) to a 2LS
will do less than adding it to any other V6,

Better yet how does replacing the exhaust in a LS vs an RS not gain much

You have me intrigued.....about this, that leads me to another question,

With the speed limiting tuned out, what do you project is the top speed of an LS vs RS? An LS is turning just over 2200 rpm at 90..An LS may be a "ever so much slower" in the quarter, but pulling at 80 mph plus, is pretty sweet on a track

MOD THAT LS ALL THE WAY OUT YOU WILL GET GAINS.....

Abomb1223 08-19-2013 11:03 AM

youll add some power with those things and you don't need a tune. A tune is usually recommended if you get headers and what not . . mod away!

the_fast_one 08-19-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fullgarage (Post 6915122)
What is not that much? please elaborate how adding a CAI (CAI) to a 2LS
will do less than adding it to any other V6,

Better yet how does replacing the exhaust in a LS vs an RS not gain much

You have me intrigued.....about this, that leads me to another question,

With the speed limiting tuned out, what do you project is the top speed of an LS vs RS? An LS is turning just over 2200 rpm at 90..An LS may be a "ever so much slower" in the quarter, but pulling at 80 mph plus, is pretty sweet on a track

MOD THAT LS ALL THE WAY OUT YOU WILL GET GAINS.....

You do not gain that much adding that stuff to anything.
They are more for looks/sound until you get supporting mods and even then its minimal.

OP non of those things require a tune so you are safe in swapping them out.

2fullgarage 08-19-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_fast_one (Post 6915159)
You do not gain that much adding that stuff to anything. They are more for looks/sound until you get supporting mods and even then its minimal. .

22hp and 10 on the torque side with a CAI (and a tune) on a v6 is not much THAT IS AT THE FREAKIN WHEELS...WTF are you talking about? exhaust work on an LFX is pointless but upgrading the exhaust on an LLT is minimal too?

Not to mention the tune allows a change in shift points and lifting of the Top speed limiter

Mod it, tune it..enjoy it

RubyCamaro 08-19-2013 11:40 AM

The intake will get you a better throttle response & a little HP depending on the brand you choose. I lost 30 lbs off my rear end taking off those butt ugly mufflers & putting on a Borla exhaust & it sounds better. A ported throttle body will also help with throttle response & a little HP. I'm not the expert but I understand the gearing is different in the LS versus LT's so I'm not sure how much of a hinderance that will be but a tune might help with that too. I know my permagrin is bigger for my mods. Your car, you choose but A few mods sure won't hurt.

the_fast_one 08-19-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fullgarage (Post 6915255)
22hp and 10 on the torque side with a CAI (and a tune) on a v6 is not much THAT IS AT THE FREAKIN WHEELS...WTF are you talking about? exhaust work on an LFX is pointless but upgrading the exhaust on an LLT is minimal too?

Not to mention the tune allows a change in shift points and lifting of the Top speed limiter

Mod it, tune it..enjoy it

He does not want to tune it so your argument is invalid.

TPAJETSKI 08-19-2013 11:53 AM

I was wondering if someone would point that out.

2fullgarage 08-19-2013 12:37 PM

My bad... I could not find the baseline run or the run without tune after CAI install, my stuff is not organized. I thought that is what I had

22/10 is with tune on a CAI, the baseline was also with the CAI
__________________________________________________ ________

Looks like he does not want to tune and loose the factory warranty since it is a brand new car

I guess what pissed me off was this statement: "You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG"...That was ignorant in my opinion

"Since these parts do not make a HP impact on an economy model fuel efficient Camaro 2LS and are for sound only"……

1) XYZ tuning has a $118 dollar cold air intake with sheet metal enclosure and hood gasket for the top edge of it, looks like a Rotofab knock-off
2) You can also find a Magnaflow axle back exhaust for under $300 cut the old off, bolt these on. :headbang:

SlingShot 08-19-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fullgarage (Post 6915447)
My bad... I could not find the baseline run or the run without tune after CAI install, my stuff is not organized. I thought that is what I had

22/10 is with tune on a CAI, the baseline was also with the CAI
__________________________________________________ ________

Looks like he does not want to tune and loose the factory warranty since it is a brand new car

I guess what pissed me off was this statement: "You won't gain all that much, the 2LS is designed for MPG"...That was ignorant in my opinion

"Since these parts do not make a HP impact on an economy model fuel efficient Camaro 2LS and are for sound only"……

1) XYZ tuning has a $118 dollar cold air intake with sheet metal enclosure and hood gasket for the top edge of it, looks like a Rotofab knock-off
2) You can also find a Magnaflow axle back exhaust for under $300 cut the old off, bolt these on. :headbang:

What's the matter there Bubba, strike a nerve ? Tell us, how much of that 22 rwhp gain was the tune ? My statement stands based on the setup of the cars gearing for economy. Gee do you even know if he has an A6 or M6, the A6 has more limitations than the M6 ...

TPAJETSKI 08-19-2013 01:00 PM

I don't know anything about the performance of the sixes, but I would buy the LS just because it comes with those steelies. Most people hate them but I love them. I think I heard they aren't making them anymore. Boo.