Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   6M faster w/ L.C on or off? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9182)

s.norman 11-01-2008 03:12 PM

6M faster w/ L.C on or off?

just curious if the 6m ss is faster w/ L.C. on or off??
i remember w/ my 4th gen. that i think it was fastern w/ trac. control off...is this right? in a race is it better to dump the clutch at around 1500 rpm w/ L.C. switched off?

zebra 11-01-2008 03:16 PM

traction control & launch control are two different systems on this car. launch control will set the engine speed to the point of best power to take off with minimal wheel spin, so my guess is that you should turn TC off and LC on for the best times.

383ss 11-02-2008 09:28 AM

the car isn't even out yet, so we have no idea.

in general Traction Control is NEVER used in any 'racing' scenario.

rayhawk 11-02-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.norman (Post 178225)
i remember w/ my 4th gen. that i think it was fastern w/ trac. control off...is this right? in a race is it better to dump the clutch at around 1500 rpm w/ L.C. switched off?

How's this: It is best to launch at the highest rpm where you can keep from just smoking the tires. So every car is different. Some cars will practically stay in one place if you dump the clutch at 1500 rpm, and some will bog badly. Depends on horsepower, tires, car, track, and many more variables. There is a fine line to how to get the best launch. Nobody knows yet with this car but it seems like the launch control would make it easier to get a good launch but it will certainly have to limit power from the engine to do it. So with a lot of practice, I am sure the absolute best times will come with the launch control off, but I think it will be pretty consistent with it on.

LSxJunkie 11-02-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayhawk (Post 178742)
How's this: It is best to launch at the highest rpm where you can keep from just smoking the tires. So every car is different. Some cars will practically stay in one place if you dump the clutch at 1500 rpm, and some will bog badly. Depends on horsepower, tires, car, track, and many more variables. There is a fine line to how to get the best launch. Nobody knows yet with this car but it seems like the launch control would make it easier to get a good launch but it will certainly have to limit power from the engine to do it. So with a lot of practice, I am sure the absolute best times will come with the launch control off, but I think it will be pretty consistent with it on.

+11111111!

I am not the only sane person here!

headpunter 11-02-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 178751)
+11111111!

I am not the only sane person here!

some of the sane people are just getting up.....

and yes Rayhawk is 100% correct

DGthe3 11-02-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.norman (Post 178225)

As I understand it, with launch control it you set the revs for the best launch. I think you can change it yourself to get the best results.

BowtieGuy 11-02-2008 01:40 PM

Anyone with experience driving stick can launch just as well as a computer. Better, once they get used to the car.

383ss 11-02-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 178865)
As I understand it, with launch control it you set the revs for the best launch. I think you can change it yourself to get the best results.

if that is ALL it is it will be a big help. basically the equivalent to a 2-step. if it has to do with cutting engine power when slipping is sensed, or something similar it will be probably be worthless.

DGthe3 11-02-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 383ss (Post 178934)
if that is ALL it is it will be a big help. basically the equivalent to a 2-step. if it has to do with cutting engine power when slipping is sensed, or something similar it will be probably be worthless.

That would be traction control, which can be fully disengaged. When TC is off, it is OFF and won't interfere with what you are doing. I think the automatic transmission is the same way, when its in manual mode YOU shift the gears, it won't jump in when you don't want it it.