Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Plasti Dip Application Tips (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147795)

yotaman96 05-18-2011 03:18 PM

Will the plasti-dip come off if it's ran through a car wash with high pressure?

The Stig 05-18-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yotaman96 (Post 3235783)
Will the plasti-dip come off if it's ran through a car wash with high pressure?

That I do not know. My car does not go through a car wash so I have no experience. Does someone who knows this from personal experience want to chip in?

DarkneSS 05-18-2011 03:41 PM

Im gonna spray my friends car black at night while hes sleeping as a birthday present.

zombi 05-18-2011 03:50 PM

Plastidip won't come off in a car wash you can pressure wash it and it will be fine.

bigwayne3000 05-25-2011 09:33 PM

Is the black a gloss? If not, since the clear coat isnt that great, what would oyu reommend using as a clear coat or in order to get a glossy look to it? All my accents on my car are gloss black so I would like to stick with the gloss black look. Another question, how do you do the lug nuts so that when you put on/take off the tires, the lugs dont chip or get destroyed??

The Stig 05-25-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 (Post 3264801)
Is the black a gloss? If not, since the clear coat isnt that great, what would oyu reommend using as a clear coat or in order to get a glossy look to it? All my accents on my car are gloss black so I would like to stick with the gloss black look. Another question, how do you do the lug nuts so that when you put on/take off the tires, the lugs dont chip or get destroyed??

Sorry, plasti-dip is a flat/satin black. I am sure that you could spray a clear over it after you were done, though I do not know how that would affect the whole "peels right off" thing.

As for the lug nuts, you can't do them. Well I mean you can, but they will just get ruined when you put them on. I went to Apex Motorsports and bought a set of black gorilla lug nuts.

JCO2185 05-26-2011 11:24 AM

i love plasti-dip. i am officially hooked on this stuff. Did my wheels, lower grille, and the taillight trim rings.

I even have people at my job doing their wheels with this stuff now lol

zkdreads 05-26-2011 11:28 AM

Plasti-dip is the shiznit!!!

YOUNGnRECKLESS 05-26-2011 11:30 AM

great write-up. i've done my wheels and heritage grille with this stuff, looks great. its basically a perfect match with the OEM black like you said.

well done

scythezo6 05-26-2011 01:15 PM

I plasti-dipped my rear trunk panel, LS7-style. I taped off the bumper and then masked larger parts off with plastic trash bags. I removed my bezels and went at it. The only thing that is difficult for me is peeling away the masking/painters tape with out peeling the plasti-dip away. Anyone have any suggestions? I WILL NOT use a blade to score the edges because thats just down right stupid. I'll post up picks later. It looks oK but the passenger side edges look a little stupid up close - its reversible so what the hell right?

scythezo6 05-26-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3235859)
That I do not know. My car does not go through a car wash so I have no experience. Does someone who knows this from personal experience want to chip in?

I ran my car through a touchless wash yesterday. Tailight bezels, front bumper and rear trunk panel still intact. The trunk and bezels were sprayed last weekend and the front bumper about 2 weeks ago.

Verdict: Holds up under pressure. :thumbup:

The Stig 05-26-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scythezo6 (Post 3266985)
I plasti-dipped my rear trunk panel, LS7-style. I taped off the bumper and then masked larger parts off with plastic trash bags. I removed my bezels and went at it. The only thing that is difficult for me is peeling away the masking/painters tape with out peeling the plasti-dip away. Anyone have any suggestions? I WILL NOT use a blade to score the edges because thats just down right stupid. I'll post up picks later. It looks oK but the passenger side edges look a little stupid up close - its reversible so what the hell right?

Glad to see people are plasti-dipping outside of the box. I can help you with the taking off tape thing though. After you have finished your last coat of plasti-dip you want to take the tape off imediately. This way the plasti-dip the is still wet and it won't come off with the tape.

scythezo6 05-26-2011 01:48 PM

When I painted my front bumper (the flat portion near the grill) it was not as bad. I layed down several initial light coats then I started to lay down thicker coats working from the grill towards the tape. I then peeled off the tape after the final coat and didn't have any lifting. I might have to do a similar method for the rear. I'll peel it off and redo it this weekend. I might do my roof too.

The Stig 05-26-2011 01:56 PM

If you do your roof be sure to post pics. I'm toying with the idea of doing mine.