Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Onstar Nav in DIC? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56832)

gmunson 12-16-2009 06:13 PM

Onstar Nav in DIC?

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this site, and I just got my Camaro today! I've definitely got the permagrin going strong, and can't see it fading anytime soon.

I've got a question, however, about the navigation through Onstar. In the brochures on it, it always shows the directions appearing in the Driver Information Center (DIC) between the Speedometer and Tach. However, when I used it earlier today, the directions showed up on the head unit in the center of the dash. Is there any way to change this over to the DIC?

Any help would be appreciated. Other than that, I'm loving my new baby, putting the stripes on this Saturday!

ArtfulDodger 12-16-2009 06:19 PM

On the turn signal lever, there is a small switch that changes items in the DIC. Switch it to Navigation, and your good to go!!! Good luck!

R6P 12-16-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmunson (Post 1292225)
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to this site, and I just got my Camaro today! I've definitely got the permagrin going strong, and can't see it fading anytime soon.

I've got a question, however, about the navigation through Onstar. In the brochures on it, it always shows the directions appearing in the Driver Information Center (DIC) between the Speedometer and Tach. However, when I used it earlier today, the directions showed up on the head unit in the center of the dash. Is there any way to change this over to the DIC?

Any help would be appreciated. Other than that, I'm loving my new baby, putting the stripes on this Saturday!

Yes... On the turn signal lever, there is a menu button, press menu for trip/speedometer info, then rotate the switch to the left of the menu button up/down to scroll through info until you see the compass sign. Now when you download directions they will display in the DIC. :thumbsup:

TheLazyBrownDog 12-16-2009 06:22 PM

On the turn signal stalk there are two buttons and a rocker (?) switch. The button on the end is the reset, the other switches between modes, on the mode that has the speedo, if you move the rocker you'll come to a screen that reads "Navigation".

TheLazyBrownDog 12-16-2009 06:25 PM

I came in third?! Stupid tiny phone keyboard.

R6P 12-16-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLazyBrownDog (Post 1292266)
I came in third?! Stupid tiny phone keyboard.

:laughabove:

gmunson 12-16-2009 06:44 PM

You guys rock, problem solved! Thanks for the turbo-fast help.

"prima"Donna 12-16-2009 06:47 PM

Congrats on getting your new Camaro!!!...make sure to post photos of you and your new 'baby' as soon as you get out of it long enough to do that...lol...

:wave: Welcome to the :D 'PERMAGRIN CLUB' :D

Now, get out there and 'drive it like ya stole it'...:burnrubber:

ClaymoreZ28 12-16-2009 07:58 PM

Just be careful when playing with your DIC when driving .... wow what a dumb acronym

My good lady did not believe me when I told her that was what this thing was called

Not impressed so far with Onstar compared with a standalone GPS.

First couple of times I used it it got totally lost in an area which has been around for many years so maps should be up to date

The feature to send directions from mapquest using virtual advisor is very cool though

Lucky SOB 12-16-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaymoreZ28 (Post 1292751)
Just be careful when playing with your DIC when driving .... wow what a dumb acronym

Hahaha I can't believe I never read it that way...lol

greenrail 12-16-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky SOB (Post 1292902)
Hahaha I can't believe I never read it that way...lol

I have been waiting for someone to hit that one. Too funny!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

HTWLSS 12-17-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

My good lady did not believe me when I told her that was what this thing was called

Ummmm, why aren't you calling it what it is? D.I.C. is pronounced, "Dee" "Eye" "See"
:facepalm:

greenrail 12-17-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTWLSS (Post 1294844)
Ummmm, why aren't you calling it what it is? D.I.C. is pronounced, "Dee" "Eye" "See"
:facepalm:

Probably because that wouldn't be funny.:laugh::laugh:

Sorry our society tends to turn every acronym into a pronouncable word.

Brokinarrow 12-17-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Not impressed so far with Onstar compared with a standalone GPS.

First couple of times I used it it got totally lost in an area which has been around for many years so maps should be up to date

The feature to send directions from mapquest using virtual advisor is very cool though

Yes, GPS has gotten me lost on more than 1 occasion. I usually take a look at google maps or something similar before I head out, just to get a general idea if it will be pointing me in the right direction.